The search for......

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am on a Quest for a recipe that has the crunches chicken skin. I would even like to take the skin off the bird and turn it into a crunchy treat. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What say you mighty chefs? Can you help me in my quest for the worlds crunches chicken skin?[/FONT]
:bbq3:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rendering it makes it greasy, Rust?

This may be a question for Mama.

Lee

Leni

Have you ever heard of Blasted Chicken? The skin is so crispy and tasty. It's so easy also. Now that I discovered this recipe I almost always roast chicken this way. I'll find the recipe and post it for you.

Leni

Here is the recipe which I copied/pasted from another site that I go to. I use the broiler pan method. All I need then is a salad or green veggie. The potatoes are delicious. I think the next time I do this I'll add sliced onion to the potatoes.

Wash, and pat very dry with paper towels, a whole chicken - about 3 1/2 pounds. Salt and pepper chicken, adding other seasonings, if desired.

Place chicken (untrussed, not covered, in a roasting pan) in a thoroughly pre-heated 450-degree oven. Roast for 45 minutes. Thermometer, inserted in thickest part of thigh meat - not touching bone - should read 160 degrees or slightly higher.

Remove from oven and allow to stand 15 minutes before serving.

NOTE:
I tried this with a chicken weighing about one pound more than the example, so I left it in the oven for about 10 additional minutes and allowed it to stand for about 20 minutes.

If the chicken is stuffed before roasting, it will require an additional 15 minutes cooking time. Instant read thermometer should read 160 degrees, when inserted into the center of the stuffing.

NOTE ABOUT SMOKE:
This can be a smoky project during “blasting” time - depending on your ventillation system; consider opening doors/windows, and turning on a fan. Another possibility: use a two-section (slotted top, fitted over a shallow bottom pan) broiler pan. Line the bottom section with foil, put sliced potatoes in the bottom section (toss the potatoes with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and any other seasonings you like, before adding them to the pan). Then, replace the top, place the chicken on top of the pan, and cook as directed. The juices run down into the bottom - creating much less smoke and resulting in very flavorful cooked potatoes as a side dish!

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]By using this Blasted Chicken method and with all the smoke it puts out. Is the skin burnt and blackened? That sounds like my Mother's cooking. She used this “Furnace method” on all her cooking. She thought that the smoke alarm was the timer going off! :smile:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have rendered just the skin down to save the fat-(Schmaltz) for cooking, and the skin is skimmed out of the fat but the skin is still a bit greasy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I had an ant (who has past away many years ago) who made chicken and the skin was so good and crunchy that, as a kid I would just wanted to eat the skin.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have not had chicken like her chicken “skin” since she pass away. :sad:[/FONT]
[/FONT]

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
rustpot- asap, after either of my ways, rustpot, 'ya gotta blot it w/ layers of thick paper towels, twisting the edges into a bundle, shaking/smushing & then placing into a second layer of toweling if need be if need be, having seasoned before the blotting & as needed thereafter. or plain.

basting, as i've recently heard, makes for a soggier chix than if it was let be & not basted. i am not certain, though this makes near-perfect sense to me as basting liquid isn't all fat/schmaltz; there is also a significant amount of fluid that the chix contributes. that means sogginess, huh.......

also, have you tried putting butter between the fleshy/fat layers-

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I used to nuke the chicken on low power so it did not get rubbery. Then under the broiled to crisp the skin.

Spatchcock the chicken & brown the skin in a skillet over high heat first, then roast at 450 degrees. Here's a recipe/method I like for quick (spatchcocked) roasted chicken from Jacques Pepin. Hope that works for you.

Place the skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes, until the chicken begins to sizzle and brown. Transfer to the oven and roast for about 30 minutes until the skin is crackly and the chicken is cooked through. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ques-pepins-quick-roasted-chicken-recipe.html

Last edited:

Leni

Trust me Rustpot. :chef: Using the recipe that I posted will result in a terrific chicken. The skin is so crispy that I eat it while carving the chicken. I'm so happy that the rest of the family does not like it. It is not blackened at all but a nice brown. The meat is very tender and moist. It practically falls apart. The nice thing is that you only have the one pan to clean.

Rustpot

Trust me Rustpot. :chef: Using the recipe that I posted will result in a terrific chicken. The skin is so crispy that I eat it while carving the chicken. I'm so happy that the rest of the family does not like it. It is not blackened at all but a nice brown. The meat is very tender and moist. It practically falls apart. The nice thing is that you only have the one pan to clean.
OK, Leni! Im going to Trust you. As soon as I get my kitchen back Im going to try your recipe. And I will post MY honest opinion.

Leni

I'd be very surprised if you didn't love this way of cooking chicken. I've been using this method for at least 6 or 7 years and never had a failure.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i never have a problem with crispy skin on a bird....i rub with evoo,butter,spices but just salt always works good as well... for turkey i start it at a very high heat, then lower the heat...when the bird is done, i broil for a few minutes...crispy good skin

Rustpot

I'd be very surprised if you didn't love this way of cooking chicken. I've been using this method for at least 6 or 7 years and never had a failure.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Leni this recipe satisfied my craving for crispy skin chicken. Thank you![/FONT]