'da burgh's on man vs. food!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs, I just skimmed an article in Saveur online about the legend of this sandwich.

Cold cuts, French fries and coleslaw on Italian bread, right?

Are the fries hot? Are there any condiments?

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
yay~
primanti's- ah, the luv. i wanna a primanti sammich!
When we were on our runs to 'Iron Mountain' above da burg, we stopped at a Primanti Bros. A gal I work with raved about them so we had to give it a shot. I've only had it once but it was not my cup of tea. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Primanti opened a place about 15 minutes away - SIL also raved over the joint.
we went, we were dis-impressed, I was severely dis-impressed, it's definitely a starving-to-death-acquired need....

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
don't feel bad - I'd bet every one of us has more places they don't like than places the do like!

the other big issue is the franchise thing - history has clearly demonstrated many cases where 'the original' does not duplicate well.

and it can be even more finicky - one place we lived there was a nondescript perfectly ordinary pizza place - but they made the best hoagies/subs/zeps/heros we have ever found before or after.

the old man died, and whatever he did went with him - the sandwiches were never the same. whether he told his sons - and they thought it was BS - or kept it a secret, no idea. but after the second 40 mile one-way trip for hoagies, I never went back.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
hate on-- we love that place~~

My son Jeff loves the place!
Course once he and my granddaughter are settled in the burgh this summer I'm sure they'll find other fine places in which to enjoy a meal out.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs, I just skimmed an article in Saveur online about the legend of this sandwich.

Lee

lee, you pick your meats, cheese, & so on. -- yep fries're fresh, & u choose toppings--besides slaw-- your're getting slaw~~

Johnny West

yay~

I've seen them come up on Facebook, as well.

When I lived in Fairmont, WV I'd bring recruits up to the federal building in Pittsburg. Down the street from the fed building was a bar that had one of the best ruben's I ever had out. That was many, many years ago and can't remember the name.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen them come up on Facebook, as well.

When I lived in Fairmont, WV I'd bring recruits up to the federal building in Pittsburg. Down the street from the fed building was a bar that had one of the best ruben's I ever had out. That was many, many years ago and can't remember the name.
I'll ask Jeff about the Reuben place.
They're going to be living in the Lincoln area, but have been going all over the burgh eating and having fun.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
yay~

Jeff, my granddaughter Kasey and his new lady love Robin are there eating right now.
:yum:

Attachments

• IMG9532341.jpg
    IMG9532341.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG9532351.jpg
    IMG9532351.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 124

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Aubrey, he's having a blast @ PPG watching his Penns vs Joisey Devils.

Attachments

• IMG9532661.jpg
    IMG9532661.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 118

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
let him know 'bout furries-- they're mildly shocking, initially-- then fascinating-- we luv ritter's; & if he imbibes-- i'll pm a bar's name to u--

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Aubrey, they just had a Huge pizza at Vincent's :bounce:
Here's some pics he got.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1521927064268.jpg
    FB_IMG_1521927064268.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 83
  • FB_IMG_1521927026233.jpg
    FB_IMG_1521927026233.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 84
  • FB_IMG_1521927007901.jpg
    FB_IMG_1521927007901.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 88

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

Lee

yep--

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
let him know 'bout furries-- they're mildly shocking, initially-- then fascinating-- we luv ritter's; & if he imbibes-- i'll pm a bar's name to u--

His new lady friend Robin is from the burgh and is actually from Squirrel Hill.
He knows about yinz now.
:biggrin:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
One more for you Aubrey.
That's Jeff at the door, and his buddy John.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1522105618240.jpg
    FB_IMG_1522105618240.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 90