The Colgan Air Commuter Crash Hearings

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've been following the news reports on the Colgan Air Inc hearings. It's frightening what must be going on at that company, and if some of the reports are true the airline should be shut down.

I just saw on the news that they do not do simulator training for wing stall recovery. I wait for further evidence of fact. If it is the case, avoid that company like the plague. Stall recovery is basic emergency training whether civilian, military, or airline in all aircraft types - no exceptions.

The resumes of the pilots leaves a lot to be desired as well. With all the furloughed "real" airline pilots who would love to have a flying job while awaiting recall, why hire the bottom of the barrel?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, so far it sounds like the company and the pilots really screwed up.

Big time. I just got off the phone with a friend who's following the hearings. It's positively frightening. The corporation will never survive the lawsuits. :unsure:

Wart

Banned
I've been following the news reports on the Colgan Air Inc hearings. It's frightening what must be going on at that company, and if some of the reports are true the airline should be shut down.

Like you posted, it probably will not survive the law suits.

In THIS LINK it's being reported how fatigue was most likely one factor, the co-pilot commuting from her parents home in Washington State, the Captain (used loosely) from Florida.

I just saw on the news that they do not do simulator training for wing stall recovery. I wait for further evidence of fact. If it is the case, avoid that company like the plague. Stall recovery is basic emergency training whether civilian, military, or airline in all aircraft types - no exceptions.

A seperate LINK:Asked if a crew could have recovered from the stall experienced by Flight 3407, Paul Pryor — Colgan's head of pilot training — replied simply: "Yes."
"Oh yeah, that's the most I've seen, most ice I've seen on the leading edges in a long time, in a while anyway I should say," Renslow replied.
(and he continues flying on auto pilot after seeing bad ice)
NTSB documents indicate that after the stick shaker went off, Renslow increased air speed and pulled back on the control column in an apparent attempt to bring the plane's nose up.
(Uhhh .... Uhhhh .... ... Uhhhh .... )

The resumes of the pilots leaves a lot to be desired as well. With all the furloughed "real" airline pilots who would love to have a flying job while awaiting recall, why hire the bottom of the barrel?

How many 'real' airline pilots will willingly lower themselves to flying for commuter again? Isn't that a little ego bruising? Specially to fly second seat in a bug smasher.

From the companies point of view, who wants to put up with that ego, only to have those 'real' pilots take off for bluer skies once the economy turns around?

Also, just because pilots who may (or may not) be qualified become available do you can the staff already in place?

I'm talking overall, it's apparent this particular captain was in over his head.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Like you posted, it probably will not survive the law suits.

In THIS LINK it's being reported how fatigue was most likely one factor, the co-pilot commuting from her parents home in Washington State, the Captain (used loosely) from Florida.

80-90% of airline pilots commute by air. It's normal - always has been. Why live in the city when you can live at the beach or in the mountains?

A seperate LINK:Asked if a crew could have recovered from the stall experienced by Flight 3407, Paul Pryor — Colgan's head of pilot training — replied simply: "Yes."
"Oh yeah, that's the most I've seen, most ice I've seen on the leading edges in a long time, in a while anyway I should say," Renslow replied.
(and he continues flying on auto pilot after seeing bad ice)
NTSB documents indicate that after the stick shaker went off, Renslow increased air speed and pulled back on the control column in an apparent attempt to bring the plane's nose up.
(Uhhh .... Uhhhh .... ... Uhhhh .... )

Pulling back on the yoke decreases airspeed.

How many 'real' airline pilots will willingly lower themselves to flying for commuter again? Isn't that a little ego bruising? Specially to fly second seat in a bug smasher.

From the companies point of view, who wants to put up with that ego, only to have those 'real' pilots take off for bluer skies once the economy turns around?

Also, just because pilots who may (or may not) be qualified become available do you can the staff already in place?

I'm talking overall, it's apparent this particular captain was in over his head.

Ego has nothing to do with it. Pilots fly because they love to fly. They don't steal jobs from other pilots. They get hired when there is an opening. I was laid off for 23 months during the Arab oil embargo and took a job flying single and twin engined Cessnas for $700 a month. I was happy to be employed in the job that I love.