Make your own charcoal stovetop

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here's a cool little toy that I just got last night. My neighbor got this for free from a friend of his that was cleaning his garage. It was brand new, never been used. My neighbor had no use for it since he doesn't have a Coleman Grill, but as soon as I saw it, I knew it could be very useful, so he gave it to me.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=R9949AA19C&categoryid=27200&brand=

It's designed to fit into a Coleman portable grill. You simply replace one of the grill grates with this grate and then place pots and pans on it for cooking. Technically, I don’t see why you wouldn't just put the pot or pan directly on the regular grate…….but I digress.

This grate has three 1 inch legs on it, and a sidebar that apparently locked into the sides of the Coleman grill. So what can you do with this?

It rests perfectly level on any flat service, and the grate is 1" above that service. That's one inch above the surface it rests on......just enough room for some charcoal briquettes!! :wink:

So what I did was place two large patio blocks side by side on an old work table I use outdoors. I then lit 30 Kingsford coals and placed them in a circular pattern on the bricks. Then I placed this little grate on top of the coals and presto, instant "hot plate".

I have a large pot that we use for outdoor cooking on the grill, so I placed it on the grate and then made a pot of chili. From browning the meat to cooking the onions to simmering the sauce, this worked like a dream. Absolutely perfect! I'm really thrilled with this.

So, I'm sure you may be wondering why would you do this?

Because I can! :yum:

And it's fun to just sit outside on the patio and cook a full meal outdoors using nothing but coals. And for you campers out there, this would be a great way to have an impromptu stovetop at your camp site. And if you don't have a gas grill with a side burner, then you can make your own using one of these.

Not to mention you don't heat up your house, and you save electricity or gas.

Anyway, if you're looking for a new way to have fun while cooking outdoors, you might consider getting one of these.

Attachments

• grate.jpg
    grate.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 332

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Like I said, because I can! :yum:

Made chicken with vegetables in a creamy wine sauce last night using my new toy. :thumb:

Attachments

• out1.jpg
    out1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 316
  • out2.jpg
    out2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 308
  • out3.jpg
    out3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 390
  • out4.jpg
    out4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 318
  • out5.jpg
    out5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 545
  • out6.jpg
    out6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 317

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Tell us about that creamy wine sauce. That looks delicious!

The sauce was:

1 cup Tomato Bouillon Broth
1 cup White Wine (I used Riesling)
1/3 cup Whipping Cream
1/2 cup Chives (chopped)

Combine the Tomato and Wine and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook till done (about 30 minutes) and then remove them. Boil the remaining liquid till reduced and thickened, then add the cream and chives. Mix well and then cover to keep warm.

I just threw that together, but it was really good. I'll be making that again. :wink:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I almost bought some of those tomato bouillon cubes the other day after seeing your other dish. I'll have to get some and try this sauce. Sounds easy enough and looks great!

I love your innovative cooktop. :bounce:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
What a great idea Keltin!
I've never seen tomato bouillon before....can you use it instead of tomato paste?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What a great idea Keltin!
I've never seen tomato bouillon before....can you use it instead of tomato paste?

Hmmmm, I don’t think so. It's just like Chicken or Beef bouillon. 1 tsp of powder makes one cup of the liquid broth.

Perhaps if you made a slurry of flour or cornstarch and water you could add 1-2 tsp of the bouillon to the slurry to flavor it. That's an interesting idea that I'll have to try one day! :wink:

FooD

Now, that's a neat little gadget and seems very practical. Seeing pictures in actual use was a good idea. And that meal looks super!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin, I use that tomato bouillon all the time - just used it today to make the sauce for my albondigas. Isn't it great? I didn't know you could buy it anywhere but Mexico. I am definitely going for the chicken dish - I love braised chicken - so tender and moist. Thanks for the recipe!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone!

Keltin, I use that tomato bouillon all the time - just used it today to make the sauce for my albondigas. Isn't it great? I didn't know you could buy it anywhere but Mexico. I am definitely going for the chicken dish - I love braised chicken - so tender and moist. Thanks for the recipe!

I love that stuff!! I can only find it at discount stores like Big Lots or Save-A-Lot, so I always stock up when I'm in those stores. I'm running low, so it's time for another trip this weekend! :biggrin:

It's really a very versatile product. I like to add it to the water I boil my rice in for some outstanding (and colorful) rice. Rice boiled like that goes even better with chili or stew - I love it!

Clever Keltin. Nice idea to not have to fire up a whole grill of coals if you dont need to.

Exactly! When using the weber, I use 60 or so coals for a full fire. But when using my Outdoor DO or this little toy, only 22-30 coals. Amazing how much longer a bag of charcoal lasts when you use it like this. :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Hit the local Save-A-Lot today and picked up all three flavors they carry. Chicken, Beef, and Tomato bouillon! I'm well stocked now! :thumb:

the_three.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That's the good stuff, Keltin! I use all three all the time. Those products are hugely popular here - I don't think anyone cooks without them, especially the chicken, which is sold in huge quart jars.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This little thing came in REAL handy the past few days that we’ve been without power. I’ve boiled eggs, noodles, made mac-n-cheese, and Mama’s version of Beef Vegetable Soup with elbow macaroni. All on this little thing with 25-30 coals. This week in light of the disaster here, this thing went from something cool, to and absolute life saver. Love it!

Fe Stomach

Still searching garage sale for one of those...

I would suggest don't remove the sidebar, when placing it on the fireproof surface, put the sidebar upwind as a breeze blocker.

A use that the war dept. has suggested ...use it to keep the pork and beans warm without having to leave the propane side burner on.
Just roll a couple of unlit briquettes up agin the lit ones every once in a while for and hour of "warming".

Scotty