Steamed Shrimp with Old Bay

Renfro Jones

Rule of thumb, 1 large spanish onion for 1 Lb of shrimp (Dh headed still in shell)

Using a steamer as opposed to boiling the shrimp.

Fill pot with 1 can of beer an 1 can of water ( using beer can as measuring cup helps to make clean up easy) Open another can of beer for personal consumption.

Place steam tray over Beer/water spread shrimp evenly in the tray. Quarter onion length wise and spread onion slices evenly amongst the shrimp.

Sprinkle old bay over shrimp an onions ( if can calls for 2 tbsp, I would use 4)remove tray and bring beer/water to boil and place tray over boiling water for 5 1/2 minutes.

Cocktail sauce Ketchup and Horseradish, ( I just add horseradish to ketchup until it starts to turn pink, some people may find that to be a bit much) it's easy enough to find the mix thats suits you. Some fresh squeezed lemon juice can also be added to cocktail sauce.

Peel shrimp and dip a shrimp an a slice onion in your cocktail sauce and you should be good to go.

Left over shrimp can peeled and mixed with some chopped celery and mayo for a nice shrimp salad.

Steaming over 5 1/2 mins can cause shell to be hard to remove from shrimp..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That sounds good and I use Chili sauce with horse radish for my cocktail sauce. The Chili sauce has a bit more bite than ketchup.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thank you very much for posting this... when i pick up some shrimp this it the way

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh great! I was just wondering how I was going to cook my shrimp tonight! I do believe this is it!

Thanks again for the bump-up, lifesaver!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was good, but I went way too light on the Old Bay, worried that I'd make the shrimp too spicy.

I steamed them for 4 minutes and they were perfect.

Great idea, using the onion leaves as dippers, Dick!

Lee

shrimpoldbaysteamed.jpg

chowhound

VERY nice, Lee.
I was thinking of making this myself. I missed it the first time around.
Great pic!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another thing, Fred - I peeled the shrimp before I steamed them, since I really don't like shrimp much and thought the shells would make them taste shrimpier.

Lee

chowhound

Yeah, that's a tough call, Lee. I like shrimp, but I also like to eat...
I don't want to be wasting my time peeling when I could be eating (lol).

lesley

That looks great!

Do you know how big our shrimps are here? (.)that big LOL
but when we go to Spain they're your size :wave:
roll on the holidays

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Another thing, Fred - I peeled the shrimp before I steamed them, since I really don't like shrimp much and thought the shells would make them taste shrimpier.

Lee

Lol--Then I guess you don't want my recipe for bar-b-q shrimp that are cooked with the heads on.....;).

I have never steamed shrimp at home. I have always boiled using plenty of Old Bay and lemon. I will have to try steaming with beer.

Renfro Jones

Lol--Then I guess you don't want my recipe for bar-b-q shrimp that are cooked with the heads on.....;).

I have never steamed shrimp at home. I have always boiled using plenty of Old Bay and lemon. I will have to try steaming with beer.

I have one of those stove top steamer pots , just big enough to hold abot 4 ears of corn. Its best to steam the shrimp in the shell ( heads removed) the shell acts like a pressure cooker. Mounds old bay should be spread over the shrimp and the onions. It should be a messy eating experience. Lots of napkins.