Boiled peanuts!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Two of my friends from Alabama sent me a box of green peanuts this week, with a recipe for making boiled peanuts!

I started them Saturday night, them let them go all night in the crockpot. Perfect for sitting out in the sunshine on Sunday afternoon, listening to the football game with neighbors, with a few brews!

Lee

Boiled Peanuts

Place green peanuts in a large stock pot, and add water to cover. Place a plate over the floating peanuts, to hold them down under the water.

Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 1 hour. Scoop the peanuts out with a slotted spoon into a colander. Rinse peanuts.

Place peanuts into a crockpot (or stockpot) and measure water to cover (I needed just 1/2 gallon of water).

For each gallon, add 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup Tony Cachere's seasoning. Put crock on low for 8 hours (or simmer on top of stove for 7-8 hours) until the nuts within the shells are very soft, like baked beans.

Break open shells, slurp brine along with the soft peanuts.

Good to eat warm or cold. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.

Attachments

• Boiled peanuts in crock.JPG
    Boiled peanuts in crock.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 345
  • Boiled peanuts ready to eat.JPG
    Boiled peanuts ready to eat.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 342

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That does sound good though I've always like roasted myself. However I very will might get some and try this, so thank for posting it.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Ate some of those many years ago down in Georgia. At the time I had not developed my taste for peanuts without salt. Now I eat them all the time. Will keep an eye out for some peanuts in the shell and try these. I know the birds will love them.:clap:

K

Kimchee

Those look significantly more edible than the nasty
things that are in brine in a can.

Does cooking them stink the place up?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Does cooking them stink the place up?

Not at all, Kimchee!

When I had them in rolling boil on top of the stove, they smelled like peanuts.

When I had them in the crockpot, and afterwards, I didn't smell them at all.

Lee

LADawg

We eat 'em down here in Lower Alabama too, and they were easy to get (or cook yourself) when we lived in Jackson, MS.
Seems like most folks like GREEN boiled peanuts, but me, I/d rather have DRY peanuts. They had a different taste. I know it takes a lot longer to cook them (maybe most of a day), but to me it's worth the time.
By the way, Cage welcome to the family...... Hope to see you around,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lefty

Yank
My fried made me some. Yes even up here in Maine we like them. Thing is Green peanuts are hard to find up here. Now I have to go ask him when is he going to make them again. I think my buddy has a buddy in Florida that will ship green peanuts up to him. I can't stop when I start on them.

LADawg

I mainly eat them dry and baked. :piesmiley1: :bonk:

I think that is what we call parched peanuts down here in my part of the country. I like them too, but sometimes I just want some salty, wet, boiled one also.........Hard to get boiled peanuts too salty........

LADawg

I sure got a hankering for some boiled peanuts from just reading this forum. Like I said I like dry peanuts rather than the green ones. I bought a 2 pound bag of Valencia peanuts Friday. These are a small, but not as small as what I call red skin peanuts, that have a fairly thin shell. To my taste these are the best for boiling. They are grown in New Mexico.
I have never boiled peanuts in a crockpot before, but after reading what has been said here I am giving it a try. I’m cooking them on the screen porch to avoid the smell in the kitchen. I started them on high yesterday morning about 9 a.m. and turned them off at about 6 p.m. Some people like their boiled peanuts a little on the crunchy side, but I like mine soft. I left them in the water overnight and turned them back on this morning. They are done enough for some, but I’m going to let them cook for 3 or 4 more hours, or until they are soft enough for my taste. My wife will eat a few of them, but not nearly as many as I will.
p.s. I’m only cooking about half of the 2 pound bag……..

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Never had boiled peanuts but when driving to Florida I see them all over the place for sale in little stores and rest stops. Will try them next time.

I usually eat dry roasted and salted peanuts.

A bit OT but I love Trader Joe crunchy peanut butter. The ingredients are: Valencia peanuts and salt. That's it.

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I just come from the supermarket and bought 3lb of peanut's. I am going to use your recipe but I don't have "Tony Cachere's seasoning" and I don't know if I can get it here in Fl. What spices are in “Tony Cachere's seasoning”. I normally just add salt and that's it. Is it a hot seasoning? [/FONT][/FONT]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Rustpot, it's a spicy, salty mixture. Might be a bit of cayenne in there. I think it originated in Cajun country, maybe Louisiana.

Old Bay would do as well. Or whatever kind of spices you like. Or just salt!

Lee

Rustpot

Yes, Rustpot, it's a spicy, salty mixture. Might be a bit of cayenne in there. I think it originated in Cajun country, maybe Louisiana.

Old Bay would do as well. Or whatever kind of spices you like. Or just salt!

Lee
Thanks Qsis. I always mess-up the salt / water ratio. I do have a cajan spic I'll try. Thanks :chef:

Rustpot

I'm having boiled peanuts for breakfast. :readytoeat:

Well the results are in. I must say that they are the best boiled peanuts I have ever had. The nuts within the shells are very soft, not mushy. And have the texture like baked beans. :a1:
One thing I did different, I use kosher salt. [Less sodium.]

Where I live here in Florida, peanuts are grown everywhere. I use to grow a lot of them myself, but for the past 3 years I stopped growing them. Next year I'm going to grow some more.
Best way to grow peanuts: pick your plot of ground that you want use. Spread your green peanuts [out of shell] over ground, lay hay over peanuts then water. Water each day till the seeds start to sprout and take root. The plant will grow up through the hay, when they are the size you want them just grab the plant shake off the hay, and your good to go. In a plot of ground about 12 x12 you can get about a 5gal bucket of peanuts.

Thanks Qsis