Dry brined, reverse seared steak

chowhound

I'm sure he meant 275, Doug. When you figure foods are often smoked at 225 it might make more sense to you. Low and slow and then a hot fast sear. My grill is 300 when I do mine (indirect at first).

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
275 is correct.

The "cooling rack" statement is from the blue portion of my post following my statement:

"The complete info ripped and pasted from a knife site I haunt:"

The originator might have been talking about a drip pan or similar.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
So what did you use for that step?

An aluminum lined baking dish. The foil keeps the dish clean and is also used for tenting post sear.

RE04.jpg

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you on the thick steaks Buzz. Of course, prime rib is my favorite...

Is that a Stephan handle on your Yoshikane? He was just here for dinner :) He was visiting Dave and Ryan drove over as well. Made pizza for them all, but truth be told, it was the worst pizza night I can remember :(

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you on the thick steaks Buzz. Of course, prime rib is my favorite...

Is that a Stephan handle on your Yoshikane? He was just here for dinner :) He was visiting Dave and Ryan drove over as well. Made pizza for them all, but truth be told, it was the worst pizza night I can remember :(

Good eye, Warren. Handle by Stephan, handling by Dave. This Yoshie is one of about a half dozen or so lifetime keepers. All the rest are for trading. :)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
My 2" strip turned out perfect! I took pictures as I went, but forgot to take one of it sliced, which of course is the money shot! It looked a lot like Buzz's ribeye as far as doneness. Delicious!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
These are the pics I did manage to take. Like I said, the doneness was along the lines of Buzz's ribeye. It's funny, because I did the oven part on a rack, it looks like it has grill marks on one side! LOL!

img0451cd.jpg

img0452mp.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
After all the talk on this thread it is too good not to BUMP. :D

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I thought I had posted this in this thread but I guess not.
OK I bought PRIME cut sirloin (look at that price for prime!!) and wanted it to be perfect. SOOOOOOOOOOO this is what I did. Thanks Buzzy!

041313_prime_sirloin_1_P1090821.jpg

041313_prime_sirloin_2_P1090819.jpg

041313_prime_sirloin_3_P1090816.jpg

041313_prime_sirloin_4_P1090817.jpg

Prime sirloin steak cooked via reverse searing. I seasoned and let it sit for about 1 hour. Put in 275°F oven for approx. 25 minutes for 2 ½-inch steak till internal temp was 90°F. Then seared on a smoking hot cast iron stovetop grill pan till internal temp was 117°F.

041313_sirloin_dinner_2_P1090824.jpg

041313_sirloin_dinner_1_P1090825.jpg

041313_sirloin_dinner_3_P1090827.jpg

Let me tell you this was FANTASTIC!! I always do my thick prime cut sirloin this way now. I will never do my beautiful prime cut steak any other way.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And I owe a thanks to Buzz also. Thank you sir! :tiphat:
We reverse seared a couple of thick ribeye's a week or so ago and wow did they ever come out GREAT. Will be reverse searing from now on. :thumb: :clap: