Sweet Sour Beets

homecook

1 can sliced or cubed beets
3 T butter (or if you have bacon drippings)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T flour
1 T sugar (or more if you'd like)
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
4 T cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Drain beets and set liquid aside. Place butter in skillet and saute onions until golden brown. Add flour and blend well. Add the beet liquid, sugar, caraway seeds and vinegar. Season to taste Bring to a full boil stirring constantly. Add beets and simmer for another 5 minutes.

buckytom

Grill Master
that sounds very good, homey.

are the canned beets pickled, or in some sort of acidic liquid? if the canning liquid is just some of the water from boiling them, is it flavored in any way?

i've never used canned beets, and i'd like to try to make this with fresh beets.

tia.

homecook

Thanks SK!

bucky...the beets in a can are just in water, there is no flavoring.

I would imagine if you used fresh beets just boil them in plain water and add them just like you would the canned ones. HTH

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Ever two or three weeks I buy some beets, boil and slice, and put in the fridge for snacks. Your recipe sounds good, HC. I'm going to make it and see. Thank you.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
oh, they were good; sliced beets in a thick sweet/sour "sauce"..........(sigh!):wub:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
After shakin' some of the cobwebs off the old memory;

I think they were called Harvard Beets..

homecook

Thanks buzz! I think you'll like them since you already like beets. I'm the only one that eats them here.

LT I havent' shaken the cobwebs off my memory yet but I thought "Harvard Beets" was a type of beet. Now I'll have to go google. lol

Ok, LT you are absolutely correct!! I didn't know that. I've been making them for years and just called them sweet/sour beets. haha

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks buzz! I think you'll like them since you already like beets. I'm the only one that eats them here.

LT I havent' shaken the cobwebs off my memory yet but I thought "Harvard Beets" was a type of beet. Now I'll have to go google. lol

I'm into purple tongues. Maxing out on beets and red wine really does the job. :yum:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sweet and Sour Beets--my favorite little item on the salad bar :biggrin:. Thanks for the recipe.