Greek meatballs

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
These can be served on their own, in pitas, with a Greek tomato sauce and/or tzatziki. They can be served hot or at room temperature.

1 lb ground beef
1⁄2 lb ground lamb
1 large onion, finely minced \ I place both in food processor and pulse.
2 garlic cloves, finely minced / Smash garlic cloves and rough chop first.
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1⁄2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped finely
salt and pepper
2 large slices dense white bread (rustic, sour dough) or 1/4-3/8 cup fresh bread crumbs from the freezer
1⁄4 cup milk
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 egg
1 ounce ouzo liqueur (optional)
flour (for dredging)
oil (for frying)

The meatball mixture is very soft. I use a scoop that's about 1 Tbsp to make the meatballs and get about 3 dozen usually. They can be baked or fried. While the ouzo is optional, it does add an extra flavor to the meatball that is missing if you don't use it. You can also use the ouzo to make saganaki (fried and flamed cheese) as part of a mezze.

Remove crusts from bread slices and use the food processer to make into crumbs. Mix with milk to moisten. (I use my mini food processor) and moisten in milk.

Add first 6 ingredients to bowl, plus salt and pepper to taste. Mix. Lightly squeeze excess milk out of bread and add to meat mixture. Lightly beat egg and add to meat mixture. Add ouzo. Mix to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using. Can be made the night before. Cover and refrigerate.

Shape into walnut-sized balls. The easiest way is to use a scoop, dredge in flour, and saute in hot olive oil until meatballs are cooked and browned on all sides. Alternatively, they can be baked at 400 for 20-25 minutes. If you bake, they don't need to be dredged in flour.

Attachments

• 2018-08-25 18.59.26.jpg
    2018-08-25 18.59.26.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 117

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Will print this one out to make!

Thanks, Karen!

Lee