Japanese - Shogayaki (Ginger Pork) over Rice

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is a very popular dish in Japan. It is traditionally made with pork, but can be done with beef as well. It’s often packed as a lunch as it is good cold - but try it hot your first time. :biggrin:

Shogayaki - Ginger Pork

Ingredients

1 lb Pork, sliced thinly
2 Tbsp Grated Ginger Root
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Sake
2 Tbsp Mirin (sweet Rice Wine)

Procedure

Slice the pork very thinly. You can use nearly any cut. I used sirloin chops as I like the flavor.

Mix the Ginger, Soy, Sake, and Mirin in a bowl. Add the pork and mix well. Allow it to marinate 15 - 20 minutes.

In a hot skillet (or wok) over high heat, add the pork and stir-fry quickly till done. About 4 - 5 minutes. Two minutes into the cooking, add the remainder of the marinade to the pork.

Serve over rice with a side of steamed shredded cabbage.

For the cabbage, I sautéed it for 5 minutes then added 1/2 cup chicken stock and let it steam till the stock was evaporated. For the rice, I added fresh chopped scallions for a bit more flavor.

Have some Sake with your meal if you like! :biggrin:

Step1-42.jpg

Step2-36.jpg

Step3-31.jpg

Step4-23.jpg

Step5-18.jpg

Step8-8.jpg

Step6-13.jpg

Step7-11.jpg

Step9-4.jpg

Step9a-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yes, please, I'd like a serving or two!

Coming right up. This is something of an "everyday meal".....comfort food if you will. Not the fancy showmanship of sushi, but more akin to our (the US) meat and potato meal. And I must say.....it's darn good! :biggrin:

GotGarlic

That sounds really good. I generally use fresh ginger, though. Do you think 1 tbsp. would be a good amount?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That sounds really good. I generally use fresh ginger, though. Do you think 1 tbsp. would be a good amount?
I always have fresh ginger in my freezer and just grate it while still frozen on my microplane. I would say if you do like I do I would probably use about 2 -3 Tbls of fresh grated ginger. but ginger can vary in power and strength so use as much as you are comfortable with.

this recipe sounds so good. I would love to see your pics.

I have to look for a pork loin sale so I can make this soon!! LOL

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Actually, I did use fresh ginger. Guess I should have said "grated" ginger. :oops:

I'll ask a Mod to fix that.

It has to be 2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger. The piece of root I used was about 2" in diamter, and I grated half of it to get 2 Tbsp.

You could cut the Sake back to 2 Tbsp though.

I hope you try this recipe. It is unbelievably good! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of ginger.......when you (everyone out there) grate your ginger, do you peel it first? I don't. DW was watching me and asked, aren't you going to peel it?

:huh::ermm::read:

Hmmmm....never thought of it actually. I find that as I grate it, the harder outter skin tends to stay on top of the grater, and the softer flesh falls through. Never had a problem with it. How do you do it?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Speaking of ginger.......when you (everyone out there) grate your ginger, do you peel it first? I don't. DW was watching me and asked, aren't you going to peel it?

:huh::ermm::read:

Hmmmm....never thought of it actually. I find that as I grate it, the harder outter skin tends to stay on top of the grater, and the softer flesh falls through. Never had a problem with it. How do you do it?
I never peel my ginger. the skin and flesh is wonderful in flavor and natural fiber. I have never had a problem.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I always peel it. Don't know why - just always did and never thought twice about it.

Now I'll have to try it without peeling and see if I notice a difference.

GotGarlic

Thanks! Now I need to get some sake and more mirin.

I always peel fresh ginger, too, but not too diligently :wink: I keep it in a jar of dry sherry in the fridge. It keeps forever and then I have ginger-flavored sherry to use in stir-fries, too.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks! Now I need to get some sake and more mirin.

I always peel fresh ginger, too, but not too diligently :wink: I keep it in a jar of dry sherry in the fridge. It keeps forever and then I have ginger-flavored sherry to use in stir-fries, too.

Wow, that is an awesome tip! Thanks, I'll give that try!