ISO - All fresh ingredients Mexican red salsa recipt

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The title pretty much says it. I am looking to take advantage of all the fresh veggies and make a salsa. Possibly an an introduction (for me) to canning.

I prefer no sweeteners. If some are needed fine.

Thank You in advance

Andy

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Andy, the way salsa is made and served here is as follows:

Finely chop 4-5 Roma tomatoes
Finely chop a medium white onion
Finely chop a few cloves of garlic
Add one or two chopped Serrano or Jalapeno chiles, with seeds if you want your salsa hot, without if you are less daring
Add 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro
Add the juice of 1-2 limes
Salt to taste - add a little sugar if it tastes too acidic
Sometimes, I add a TBS or so of olive oil.

That's it - every restaurant serves it, every home cook makes it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Karen. I had you in mind when I posted.:clap:

Karen, have you ever canned this? Oh! Probably no need. the ingredients are readily available.

I want to try canning. This is not the thing to can.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
No, I haven't tried canning it...no need to can anything here, as fresh produce is available year 'round. I do buy a canned product on occasion, though, to use in a pinch when I don't have time or ingredients to make fresh. It's a Herdez product called salsa casera that I also used to buy in the US. So, you might want to do a google search for recipes that would be similar, and appropriate for canning. This salsa fresca is our favorite - Jerry eats it with a spoon, just as if it were salad. We also like salsa verde, which is slightly cooked, and made with tomatillos, garlic, onion, green chiles and cilantro. Might be more appropriate for canning.

GotGarlic

Karen, thanks for the salsa recipe! I can't wait to try it.

Andy, I have a cookbook by Rick Bayless and have been making salsas from it; he has a nice variety of salsa and sauce recipes online: Salsas, Sauces and Condiments. I think several would be good for canning, although I haven't tried it myself - yet :smile:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I see alot of cooked salsas on the tables at taco stands and restaurants - some of them are very hot and spicy, and sound alot like some of the RB recipes GG has referred to. His Salsa Mexicana is basically the recipe I use, except I add garlic. There are some wonderful salsas listed there - I especially like a pineapple salsa that is served at the taco stand down the street from us, with tacos pastor.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love reading Karen's instructions on proper salsa technique, I sorta used the basic for my chicken burritios tonight, but didn't have any chilies on hand, but it was still really good.

Just for S&G I googled some salsa info, probably no news to our Mistress from Mexico-, but.. I'll post it anyway. ;)

http://www.redsalsagreensalsa.com/

Big hugs, Karen, I adore anything you share.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I use tomatoes, red onion, green onion, cilantro, jalepenos, lime juice and vinegar. Spices are cilantro, granulated garlic and S&P

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That's a really good site, Sass. Thanks for sharing it. The little taco place we go to most often has at least four salsas on every table - the basic salsa Mexicana, a salsa verde, a salsa ranchera (dark red, very hot) and an avocado salsa that they must make the same way this site describes...it's actually pretty bland, but tastes good in combo with some of the others.

AllenOK

A couple months ago, at work, I had to make a "roasted" salsa. I ended up grilling the tomatos, onions, and fresh jalapenos, then I actually cooked it all down, along with some lime juice and s&p to taste. It was really frakking good! I ended up making way to much, and we used it where we could afterwards. I would have been happy just to get a bowl of chips and some of that salsa to snack on.

Since the salsa I made was cooked, it would work well for canning, I believe.

Not for canning, but this is a fresh-ingredient salsa for fish (or maybe chicken) that's on my list.

Grilled Snapper with Strawberry & Avocado Salsa
Serving Size : 4

1 jalapeño pepper -- stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
2 cups strawberries -- hulled and finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion -- finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 avocado -- peeled, pitted and diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest -- finely grated
4 snapper fillets -- (5- to 6-ounce) skin-on

In a medium bowl, stir together jalapeños, strawberries, onions, cilantro, lime juice, avocado and salt to make a salsa. Set aside.

Preheat grill to medium heat. Meanwhile, combine oil and zest in a small bowl then brush all over fillets; season with salt and pepper. Grill fillets, skin side down and without flipping, until just cooked through and crisp around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to plates, remove and discard skin. Top with salsa and serve.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipeId=1577

Phiddlechik

My daughter spent a winter in Hawaii and developed a taste for fresh pineapple and/or mango in her salsa. I've done it with watermelon, too, but it has to be eaten right away as it gets watery pretty quickly.
A basic one is fruit, red onion, cilantro

My daughter spent a winter in Hawaii and developed a taste for fresh pineapple and/or mango in her salsa. I've done it with watermelon, too, but it has to be eaten right away as it gets watery pretty quickly.
A basic one is fruit, red onion, cilantro

Those are some of my favorites as well.