Ideas for picnic, please

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Well, it's not exactly a picnic, but that's the closest thing I could think of to describe it.

We have a friend who moved to memory care unit in an assisted living facility last month. They have a pleasant little private dining room that family & friends can use if they want to have a family style meal with their loved one. We've reserved the room, and I'm making dinner to take to Larry. There will be 4 of us.

Here's the difficulty. All the food has to be 'picnicable'. That is, they must be able to be carried in, need no refrigeration or last minute cooking, able to be served at room temperature or at best, cooled in an ice chest. I don't own a crockpot or any other keep-warm device, so that precludes foods that need to be served hot. I'm not good at this.

The one certain is that I'm poaching a salmon and making a lemon-dill mayonnaise for it. A picnic cooler will keep it for transport, and a thermos will hold the sauce. Salmon has always been Larry's favorite - he requests it for his birthday every year, so it's a done deal.

My dilemma is in what to put with the salmon. I don't want anything mayo-based, since I have the mayo sauce for the fish. I usually love asparagus with salmon, but I don't know what to do with them cold. Would marinated artichokes & red peppers overpower the salmon? Any ideas for a rice/pasta/potato dish that is served room temp, doesn't use mayo, and wouldn't duplicate a marinated veggie? Or maybe a veg that doesn't need a marinade?

Since it's such a structured environment, there is no cocktail hour and no appetizers are necessary. Dessert's easy. Larry swoons for chocolate, so I'll just make a cake or cookies and leave the leftovers for the staff. :piesmiley1:

I'm usually not a picnic or a pot-luck kinda gal. Planning this menu is taxing my creativity. Any ideas?

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awwwww, SS, what a lovely thing to do! Larry will be so tickled!

I was thinking about the New England 4th of July tradition of serving new potatoes and peas with salmon. How about a potato and pea salad with a vinagraitte (sp?) dressing?

I saw a recipe for one with a tarragon vinagrette, but I hate tarragon, so I'd use chives, maybe.

Oh, but that dressing might be too close to what you're putting on your vegs?

How about a vegetable quiche? Served at room temp.

I'll keep thinkin'

Lee

Cook and chill the asparagus, arrange it on a bed of lettuce on a serving platter. Place cherry or sliced tomatoes around the asparagus & drizzle with vinaigrette dressing.

Cucumber, tomato & red onion salad w/ red wine vinegar (& feta?). You could serve it over or with couscous.

Lemon and/or lime scented rice w/ cilantro. (I think you can find it on Epicurious' site.)

Greek-style Picnic salad
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/greek-style-picnic-salad-10000001065523/

Vegetable Paella

Asparagus Mimosa - chilled asparagus w/ grated hard-boiled eggs.

Cook and chill the asparagus, arrange it on a bed of lettuce on a serving platter. Place cherry or sliced tomatoes around the asparagus & drizzle with vinaigrette dressing....

Like this:

asparagus salad.jpg

Add s&p to taste.

Have fun. :picnic:

Calicolady

I do an asian style dish. It can be cold or hot, but I like it cold or room temp is ok too.

Steam a pound or 2 of prepared fresh asparagus just til tender.
Shock them in ice cold water to stop cooking.

In the meantime, toast about 1 - 1 1/2 TBSP. sesame seeds

In a small bowl, whisk about 2 TBSPs soy sauce (you can use light soy), 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar and toasted sesame seeds.

Add drained asparagus and toss to coat. Refridgerate for a couple hours to overnight. Toss again before serving.

NOTE: You can also microplane some fresh ginger and garlic (about a 1/2 tsp. of each) to oil mixture before adding asparagus.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thank you all! The ideas look fabulous.

This will be a recurring event for as long as Larry is aware. We know that at some point he won't know what's going on, but until then, I'm going to do this every couple weeks. Since picnic foods are not my usual, I will probably work my way through all of your suggestions over time.

I like CL's idea for sesame asparagus, as a side.

Wanted to mention... Some of the dishes I posted are great for a light dinner or lunch (especially in a warm climate). Add some dijon mustard to the dressing to kick it up. A combo of white & green asparagus make a nice presentation. I turn the tomato & asparagus salad into a main dish by adding shrimp or crab.

If you wanted to do an appetizer, that might travel well, how about Mediterranean-style stuffed mushrooms (feta, tomatoes etc.) I'll look through my recipes, if you like.

For the Greek picnic rice salad - I'd omit the feta & garbanzos, since you have the main dish - salmon. You can always adapt it.

I have a recipe for salmon w/ sour cream & dill sauce, I've been waiting for a special occasion to make. Just holler.

I hear ya about cooking & transporting food. I've seen Robert Irvine cook umpteen courses (on FN), & transport them in temp controlled rolling carts. That would probably blow Larry's socks off. It's very kind & generous of you to think of prepare a special meal for your friend.

Like this:

View attachment 13934

Add s&p to taste.

Have fun. :picnic:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Man, the recipes for the orzo and rice salads look wonderful, you guys!

I love everything in both!

Lee