Around The World - 3rd Stop - KOREA!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Sass!

I like the looks of your dish (especially since you served it over NOODLES!), too!

Dee, yours looked spectacular as well!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
looks fantastic Lee!! I'm glad you liked the sesame string beans.

K

Kimchee

Yeah boy both of those look really delicious!

om nom nom nomnom

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Kimchee :D
Who'da thunk something so simple and easy would have tasted so good AND settled my tummy?!?
It sure did.. and I'll make it again.

buckytom

Grill Master
well done everyone, good recipes, and especially ralphie, dee, and qsis for the pics as well!! :applause:

i'm really happy to see so many people enjoying korean food. i'll have to tell my korean-american buddy at work about how familiar everyone here is with the cuisine of his homeland. he laughs at me thinking how strange i am to love korean food so much. he realizes how bizarre it is to many americans, joking that most korean recipes started out as a dare, lol. even his 2 american born and raised sons don't eat it very often.

here are the honey rice puff cookies (sort of like hollow rice krispy treats) that we picked up for dessert after our last trip to a korean bbq:

2011-01-19_18-07-42_886.jpg

2011-01-19_18-08-12_436.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, thanks sass.

i shoulda added your name too. i've never heard of instant kimchee before. just the fermented stuff.

i think i may try the quickie version you posted, thanks. :chef:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
a yo, BT any info on those cookies? How are they in flavor? More sweet, or savory, or just middle of the road? the texture looks great, just what I am looking for!

buckytom

Grill Master
they're sweet, but not killer sweet. just a touch of honey kinda sweet.

otherwise, they're somewhat bland but really light, puffy, and crispy/crunchy.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
they're sweet, but not killer sweet. just a touch of honey kinda sweet.

otherwise, they're somewhat bland but really light, puffy, and crispy/crunchy.

thanks man, I think I know the direction I will go then. My buddy( a Korean)Joe Rhee has been bugging me about this type of cookie, but I hadn't had them since leaving Oahu. There seem to be a million different ways of doing them, but the ones you posted looked more like what I want texture wise.

Thanks man!

K

Kimchee

try that quickie kimchi with hothouse cucumbers (english).
Slice them then give them a quick brine in salt water first...maybe 20 minutes.
Then into the kimchi mix. YUM!

buckytom

Grill Master
kimchee, i use english cukes to make quick refrigerator pickles with leftover brine from store-bought pickles. i can imagine how they'd work kimchee, umm, your style as well. thanks :chef:.

Deelady

Thank you Rickismon, Qsis and Bucky. Awesome looking dishes as well everyone!!! Getting me in the mood for Asian dinner possibly tonight!!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Well, we've been in Korea for about 3 weeks now, and we seem to have a lot of pictures, both from restaurants & our own kitchens, There are also quite a few good recipes here.

For me, life intervened, and I didn't have much time to devote to this leg of the trip, but Lee and Dee both made beautiful contributions.

Would one of you like to step up and introduce us to another country?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well, we've been in Korea for about 3 weeks now, and we seem to have a lot of pictures, both from restaurants & our own kitchens, There are also quite a few good recipes here.

For me, life intervened, and I didn't have much time to devote to this leg of the trip, but Lee and Dee both made beautiful contributions.

Would one of you like to step up and introduce us to another country?

Yep, Lee and Dee did contribute fantastic stuff.
I started the damned thing and made something simple that sucked (apparently)..

Someone else start another country.
I'm basically done with these types of contests/meals/threads.. whatever.
I'll just make dinner and post whatever I can.
Thanks.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Yep, Lee and Dee did contribute fantastic stuff.
I started the damned thing and made something simple that sucked (apparently)..

Someone else start another country.
I'm basically done with these types of contests/meals/threads.. whatever.
I'll just make dinner and post whatever I can.
Thanks.

I'm very sorry if you misunderstood my remark, Sass. Several people commented about how much they loved your quick kimchi, and I too, would like to try it when I can. But you picked this country, so I was asking the other two people if they would take a turn. Both you and Karen cooked great dishes, too, but you had each already chosen a country. I was just trying to pass it around.

:heart:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm very sorry if you misunderstood my remark, Sass. Several people commented about how much they loved your quick kimchi, and I too, would like to try it when I can. But you picked this country, so I was asking the other two people if they would take a turn. Both you and Karen cooked great dishes, too, but you had each already chosen a country. I was just trying to pass it around.

:heart:
Sorry for misunderstanding.
I do that often, don't I?
Yes.. life has been getting in the way of my taking the time or having any inspiration for cooking much of anything really good lately.

Thanks dear.

loboloco

I'll pass on this one. Spent time in Korea,and know that any meat recipe starts with the following line:
First, catch a dog,