Beef Stroganoff - Tyler Florence's

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chuck steak is on sale for 2.99/lb and I've been craving fresh mushrooms, so I looked at recipes using both.

If you search these forums by "tag", using "beef stroganoff", you will see several excellent recipes posted by forum members that are similar to Tyler's. I used his recipe due to the large number of rave reviews.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...anoff-over-buttered-noodles-recipe/index.html

I used sherry instead of cognac, since that's what I had. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly.

The broth had spectacular flavor, but was thinner than I'd like. Next time, I'll flour the meat before browning, as another reviewer suggested.

This was delicious!

Lee

Attachments

• Beef stroganoff.JPG
    Beef stroganoff.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 175

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sure looks good! I've got sirloin in the freezer. Going to be on the dinner menu real soon...I'm so impressionable :).

chilefarmer

Qsis, more good eats, that looks so good. looking up the recipe. I will remember what you said about the sauce. I like thick sauce. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Right, Sherm - it was just a delicious broth, not a gravy. That's why I am going to thicken the leftovers, and make it differently next time.

Lee

LADawg

Not Tyler's recipe, but one that I have used for years. In fact we had this for lunch today.:clap:

BEEF STRAGANOFF

1 Pound Top Round or Sirloin Steak
4 Tablespoon Butter
1/2 Small Onion Minced
1 1/2 Cups Broth
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
8 Ounces Sour Cream
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Sherry
3/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
5 Oz. Cooked Egg Noodles
3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour

Slice the steak into very thin strips. Mix together the Flour, Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder, and put it on a sheet of aluminum foil. Dredge the meat in the flour/spice mixture. Melt the butter and brown the meat quickly. Add the Chopped Onion and Chicken Broth. You may use real chicken broth or make some by dissolving 1 1/2 teaspoon of Chicken Bouillon Granules in 1 1/2 Cups of Water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer slowly for 1/2 hour. Stir occasionally during the cooking. Stir in the Sour Cream and Sherry just before serving. Heat through, but Do Not boil or the sauce will curdle. Serve over hot buttered noodles.

Notes:
To make slicing easier put the meat in the freezer for a little while, and get it to a
A semi frozen stage.
We use an electric skillet for this, but it may be cooked in some other type skillet

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hamburg Stroganoff.

Here's an alternate version to the classic Beef Stroganoff recipe!

Ingredients;

1lb regular or lean ground beef.

2 tablespoons salad oil.

1 small chopped onion.

1/2 of a green pepper, chopped.

1 stalk celery, chopped.

3 cloves garlic, chopped.

1 cup sliced mushrooms.

1/2 teaspoon each;

Salt.
Ground black pepper.
Garlic powder.
Sylvia's Seasoning.

1-1/2 cups ketchup.

10-1/2 cups sour cream.

1lb noodles.

Directions;

Heat a 5-qt Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add oil. Brown hamburger just until no more redness spears. Add next 5 ingredients. Cook until veggies are soft & tender.

Meanwhile, in another large pot, bring 8 cups water to a rolling boil. Add a pinch of salt. Add noodles to boiling water and boil until aldente. Drain noodles. Do not rinse!

In same pot, return noodles to it. Add all of the ingredients listed, stir lightly until well blended.

Grease a 13x9" glass or metal pan or a medium casserole. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven until top is lightly browned. Before baking, it should look something like this (below).

Serves 8.

Enjoy!! :eating2:

Attachments

• Hamburger Stroganoff..jpg
    Hamburger Stroganoff..jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited: