Sesame Seeds

LADawg

I really, really like sesame seeds. Here is an old southern recipe using them. I think I will cook up a batch of these today. Anyone else like sesame seeds?

BENNE WAFER COOKIES

Yields: about 35 cookies

1/2 Cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted and softened
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, lightly-packed
1 E
gg
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Sesame Seeds, toasted
In a medium-size bowl, combine the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt; set aside.
Cream the Butter and Brown Sugar together until fluffy. Add the Egg and Vanilla Extract, stirring well until combined. Add the Flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Fold in the cooled toasted Sesame Seeds.
Drop heaping teaspoon-sized portions of dough onto a parchment or silpad lined baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
Bake in the middle rack position of a preheated 325° oven for 8 or 9 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are bubbly and the edges turn deep brown. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. As these are paper-thin cookies, this allows the cookies to finish baking from the residual heat of the baking sheet, as well as letting them set up enough so that they don't fall apart when transferred. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
The cookies may be stored in an airtight container.
How to toast Sesame Seeds - Heat the Sesame Seeds in a dry pan over medium-low heat, or on a baking sheet in a 275° . oven, until golden and fragrant, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Watch carefully so the seeds do not burn.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
that seems kinda familiar. my Pap used to buy me a sesame candy of that sort. that candy rocked. so those cookies must rock, too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Toasting is the key to a great flavor!

Those cookies sound easy and delicious, LA!

Yummm!

Lee

LADawg

Why do something if you can put it off for a day or so? That’s what I did yesterday on the Benne Wafers, but I did cook them this morning.
I need to make a couple of changes to my recipe and don’t know why I haven’t already done it. In order for the cookies to start to get brown around the edges they need to be cooked from 10 to 14 minutes or the temperature of the oven should be increased to 350° . In either case they should be watched pretty close and make sure they don’t get too brown or worst yet burn.
Also it takes a little longer to toast the Sesame Seeds than the 3 to 4 minutes shown.
While I’m making changes I will change the spelling from silpaP to SilpaT.
Since I bought a pound bag of sesame seed on my last Penzeys order I might just make another batch later today.