Easy Szechuan eggplant

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a million of these little Hansel variety eggplants!

Today, I took three of the larger ones (you can pick them at any size, and they are always great!), sliced them in half lengthwise, and brushed them with the following mixture:

Sesame oil
Soy sauce
Chile pepper flakes
MSG
Garlic powder

I covered the toaster oven tray with aluminum foil and Pam'd it.

I brushed the cut sides of the halved eggplant with my Szechuan mixture and put them cut-side dwn on the tray. Brushed the tops.

Baked them in the toaster oven at 350 for 15 minutes, then flipped them over and baked for 5 more minutes.

Sliced up 3 halves for appetizers for the neighbors (they both asked me for the recipe, LOL!) and saved three halves for me, to chunk up and serve over white rice.

Wicked easy!

Lee

Attachments

• Eggplant, Hansel, roasted.JPG
    Eggplant, Hansel, roasted.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Eggplant, Hansel, roasted, appetizers.JPG
    Eggplant, Hansel, roasted, appetizers.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 139

homecook

Re: Easy Szechwan eggplant

That sounds really good Lee! :applause: I'll have to give this a try. I wonder if it would be good with zucchini too? I'll have to try that also. lol I love the ingredients.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

So, with the leftover Szechuan eggplant, I made an ....

ASIAN EGGPLANT RICE TOSS

Cut Szechuan eggplant into chunks.

Mixed it with two Italian sausages, cut into chunks.

And some steamed broccoli.

And some white rice, sprinkled with some canola oil an soy sauce (I love the rice just like that!)

Mixed all together, adding a couple more splashes of sesame oil and soy sauce and sambal for heat.

Nuked. Absolutely delicious!!!! I did add some green onions before serving, but after I took the photo.

With a dish of heirloom tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic and fleur de sel.

BOY every mouthful of this fusion meal was incredible!!!

Lee

Attachments

• Asian Eggplant Sausage toss.JPG
    Asian Eggplant Sausage toss.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Both dishes look and sound like they have an awesome flavor Lee.

High Cheese

Saucier

Lee, do you use Szechuan peppercorns? If not, you should really give them a shot, they have a unique flavor and aroma. I bought a huge bag from Penzy's.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Good tip, HC!

I'm going to stop at Atlantic Spice Company on my way to a mini-vacation on the Cape next month, so I'll add those peppercorns to my list!

Thanks!

Lee

Lee - start slow with Szechuan Peppercorns. In fact, smash or grind a couple up & taste them before you use them. They produce a particularly numbing sensation that not everyone likes. It can take some getting used to, but some people aren't even interested in getting used to it - lol!!

I use them now, but it did take some getting used to & recipe tweaking to find the right amount that wasn't overpowering.

High Cheese

Saucier

Ya, the DW tollerates it, but I could add a handful to my dish. Great floral aroma that bites the tip of your tongue like a 9 volt battery.

I use them alot to balance heat. For instance if I'm making something that has chiles that target the back of your throat, I'll add some of those to it.

I mash them up in a mortar and pestle and mix them with some kosher salt.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

.... bites the tip of your tongue like a 9 volt battery.

Oh, yeah, I forgot who I was talking to! :ermm:

I'm a wuss about pain, HC.

(thanks for the heads-up, Breezy!)

Lee