Holiday Bread Baking Class

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's that time again, and I'm psyched for my third bread baking class fundraiser for the food pantry. I placed the notice in the church bulletin this past weekend, and I have 15 people signed up already. The class will be on October 31st from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

I've named this class "Sweetness of the Season," and I'll be teaching how to make...

P1020105.jpg

Yep, those decadent cinnamon rolls that I love to make.

I'm also excited about my twin brother (yeah, there's two of me...we're identical) sharing the stage with me. He will be making his signature Slovenian Ice Box Dough Potica.

Potica2.jpg

Walnuts, honey, sugar, raisins and butter are just part of the filling that tempts your sweet tooth.

This should be a fun class, and hopefully we'll beat the last fundraiser that made over $1,000 for the food pantry.

Any locals interested in attending just PM me and I'll put you on the list. Cost is the same, a check for $25 made out to the food pantry. I'll post pictures after the class.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
that sounds wonderful joe!! i hope you get lots of people which will mean lots of money to help the needy.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm also excited about my twin brother (yeah, there's two of me...we're identical) sharing the stage with me.

Oh God nightmares do come true. :unsure:

Just :yankchain: a bit Joe, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

All joking aside it sounds like a great deal and I might of considered coming had a know sooner about it. Something I would like to learn myself.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh God nightmares do come true. :unsure:

Just :yankchain: a bit Joe, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

All joking aside it sounds like a great deal and I might of considered coming had a know sooner about it. Something I would like to learn myself.
Ironically, even though we are identical, our personalities are quite different. He's the straight arrow who does everything according to the rules, and I have always been the risk taker who pushes the envelope.

Meme4251

Gosh, Joe, wish you were here close by us girls from Tx. All of your bread pics look so good. Hope you have a good turnout, which I know you will and what a nice cause to contribute your time for. Hats off to you and your brother!:chef:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Sorry Joe. I have a continuing legal education class that day and will be downtown.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My makosh (Hungarian Poppy Seed Roll) recipe can be filled with nuts like a potica, too. I have even had it with a chocolate filling, Joe.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: Joe! I wish I lived closer! I'd love to attend one of your cooking classes. I'll bet not only do you get to learn great baking tips but I'll bet you and your brother are a real hoot. :lol:

homecook

Ok, Joe.......my PM is on the way. Oh hell, I'll just call you tomorrow. :wink:

But in the meantime, put me on the list.....

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
My makosh (Hungarian Poppy Seed Roll) recipe can be filled with nuts like a potica, too. I have even had it with a chocolate filling, Joe.
We also have a recipe for poppy seed filling, which I ADORE! I haven't had it since Mom died back in '87. Been a looooooooooooong dry spell. I just may have to make a trip out to the Amish Bulk Store and get the monster container of poppy seeds.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, the poppy seed filling is posted. You need to grind the seeds to make it but it is worth it. The homemade version that I make is less cloyingly sweet. Ask Barb. She had some ;-)

smoke king

Banned
Hey Joe, it seems just about all of us wish you were closer so we could attend.....

I don't know the nuts and bolts od such an endeavor, but it sure seems like an on-line version of "Sweetness of the season" would be well-received-everybody has a paypal account don't they?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Hey Joe, it seems just about all of us wish you were closer so we could attend.....

I don't know the nuts and bolts od such an endeavor, but it sure seems like an on-line version of "Sweetness of the season" would be well-received-everybody has a paypal account don't they?

:agree:
Wow! That's an idea! Have someone take a video and we can figure a way for all of us to take the class, too. I'm in.

buckytom

Grill Master
great idea, sk!!!

count me in too. i'd pay $25 for a good charity to see an online video or participate in an online class.

homecook

Barb (homecook) was there and got to sample everything. I'll defer to her for her comments.

And sample I did!!! Everthing was absolutely delicious. I think I'm still on a sugar high!!!! They made everything look easy enough to make and explained everything in detail. I really learned alot, just like the bread baking class, Joe has got me hooked once again! It was a very informative class and I'm really glad I got the chance to go.......Joe and his twin brother are definitely two peas in a pod. LOL His other (younger?) brother was also there and he was a card. It was alot of fun!

Joe also has pics posted in the "What are you baking today" thread.