Has anyone seen THIS?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Some of the stuff looked way overcooked, but some looked pretty good!

However, I'm never in that much of a rush, so I really can't justify buying it.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I thought several times of buying an electric pressure cooker, and decided not to.

I got enough stuff that I can use to get the same results as THIS unit supposedly does. Yes, and you agree that some of the stuff cooked in it is overcooked.

And if I AM in that much of a rush, I can START MY MEAT IN THE REGULAR PRESSURE COOKER, which pretty much does the same thing, take it out and finish it in the oven.

Yeah, you're supposed to be able to do lasagna in it, as well as pasta with meat sauce and other casseroles. I do lasagna in the OVEN, as I've done for many years.
Who in their right mind is going to cook 6 qts of rice, unless it's for the Army? Who is going to steam THAT MUCH broccoli or other veggies? My rice cooker and my set of stainless steel cookware both have steamer inserts for that.

They claim that this unit can replace most of the small electric appliances in the home. What if we don't want to replace them? I'll pass on this one. The only I want is either the Vitamix or the poster Versa
blender. That's it.

One thing IS for sure; I'll stick with THIS; (below) for cooking meats. It does a far better & more superior job at cooking meats to perfection, and with a deliciously mild smokey flavor!! :eating2:

Attachments

• Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg
    Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

rocket_j_dawg

Sherman - I have seen those stove top smokers. I always thought I would fill the house with smoke. How well do they work?

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

Shermie

Site Supporter
They don't really make NEAR the amount of smoke that you're fearing that it might do. All that you'll smell is a mild smokey smell, along with the food cooking.

I just open the kitchen window a little, just in case. But that real authentic smokey taste in your food is something like you wouldn't believe or never had before!!

It really does the job without being overbearing in the food! I love it!! :eating2:

rocket_j_dawg

Thanks Sherman. I have to head down to the city tomorrow so I think I'll drop in to my favorite BBQ store and have a look. I miss the Traeger we had before moving to the condo. Mmmmm...smoked foods indoors....I love it. :weber:

Ian M.

Sherman - My brother, Sean and I are beginning to "dabble" in smoking some food and I'd love to have a stove-top smoker like the one in your photo. What brand is it and where could we find one? Any thoughts on pricing?

Thanks, Ian

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Sherman. I have to head down to the city tomorrow so I think I'll drop in to my favorite BBQ store and have a look. I miss the Traeger we had before moving to the condo. Mmmmm...smoked foods indoors....I love it. :weber:

OMG, Rocket - you had a Traeger and had to give it up?

Oh, you poor DEAR!!!

Can you use any kind of outdoor cooker at your condo???

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sherman, your stovetop smoker looks like a Weber kettle.

What brand is it?

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherman - My brother, Sean and I are beginning to "dabble" in smoking some food and I'd love to have a stove-top smoker like the one in your photo. What brand is it and where could we find one? Any thoughts on pricing?

Thanks, Ian

Nordicware. Paid about $75 for it. Got it from BB&B. :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've always LOVED smokey flavored meats, but the kind that you get without all that salt in it. it's a screamer!! :eating2:

K

Kimchee

A friend of mine just bought one of those electric smoker pressure cookers.
He's done pulled pork, beef ribs and I forget the other meat.
Said all three came out succulent.
Easy to use, easy to wash.

Ian M.

Hey Sherm - DW and I made a jaunt to BB&B up in Portsmouth this morning and looked at what they had up there for stove top smokers. Such a deal! They didn't have any Nordicware at all - said they hadn't had them in a while and suggested that possibly you'd purchased yours some time ago. What he showed us and we flipped over is a stainless steel one - roughly slightly over twelve inches in diameter - cleans in the dishwasher if you want, has a solid warranty on it and runs around $99. I can certainly stand the additional expense - it looks super. Fallon says, "let's go for it", so come end of the month when we're "rich and famous" or at least not penny broke, we're gonna do it. I'm really hyped on this - always wanted to get into smoking some things. Now to find some exceptional recipes for smoking some good ham, pork and/or beef. Chicken, too, maybe? Incidentally, will I need to invest in some pink salt to do this? Keep in mind, before you snicker, that I've never smoked anything more then a menthol cigarette! in ny life. This is an entirely new venture for me! Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Adillo, CF, Doc, QSis - anyone who does this sort of thing?

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We'll help you, Ian!

When you get your new cooker, please start a new thread and we'll see what we can do!

In the meantime, check out some threads in the BBQ subforum.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hey Sherm - DW and I made a jaunt to BB&B up in Portsmouth this morning and looked at what they had up there for stove top smokers. Such a deal! They didn't have any Nordicware at all - said they hadn't had them in a while and suggested that possibly you'd purchased yours some time ago. What he showed us and we flipped over is a stainless steel one - roughly slightly over twelve inches in diameter - cleans in the dishwasher if you want, has a solid warranty on it and runs around $99. I can certainly stand the additional expense - it looks super. Fallon says, "let's go for it", so come end of the month when we're "rich and famous" or at least not penny broke, we're gonna do it. I'm really hyped on this - always wanted to get into smoking some things. Now to find some exceptional recipes for smoking some good ham, pork and/or beef. Chicken, too, maybe? Incidentally, will I need to invest in some pink salt to do this? Keep in mind, before you snicker, that I've never smoked anything more then a menthol cigarette! in ny life. This is an entirely new venture for me! Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Adillo, CF, Doc, QSis - anyone who does this sort of thing?

Good!

Do you have, or can you furnish a pic of it?

I've never heard of pink salt before. But you WILL no doubt, need some wood chips to obtain the smokey flavor & taste.

Incidentally, I've never smoked meat either, until after I got the Stovetop Kettle Smoker. it does a great job!! :eating2:

rocket_j_dawg

Sherman - I have been smoking meats for quite a while. My grandfather was a butcher in the old country so it was a family thing. Ther are two types of pink salt. #1 contains 93.75%*table salt*and 6.25%*sodium nitrite. #2 contains*sodium nitrate*in addition to sodium nitrite. The #2 is normally used for hung, dryed and aged meats like salami. The one most guys use that smoke meats at home is #1.

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

Ian M.

Shermie and Rocket - Thanks much, guys - it's going to take some time to sort all this out - my brother-in-law is really into making and smoking his own sausage using a stove top smoker. Like you said, he uses the #1 type of pink salt. Unfortunately, he lives way out in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge or else I'd have him walk me through this a time or two. Mike's also got a fantastic huge book with tons of recipes and helpful stuff to use when smoking meats and things. He's going to get us a copy of it and that'll be a huge help as we get into this. Sherm, they didn't have any of these smokers in stock - they have to special-order them - it was in a catalog they showed us - probably you can find it on the BB&B website for a photo of it. If not, when we pick ours up this weekend I'll take some photos of it for you.

Ian

Ian M.

Just out of curiosity, Sherm, where do you put the wood chips - right in the bottom? And do you ignite them just the way you would an outside grill or smoker? With what as an igniter? Interesting - we actually hadn't even considered this. My brother is getting into this with us and he declares we'll set the house on fire! How much danger is there of that? I know you already said that indoor smoking doesn't fill your house with smoke, only a nice smokey odor, not overwhelming. But flame? How is that controlled? And is all this going to work on an electric stove? Unfortunately, that's what we have to work with. I know you're not afraid to try something new and different - you just jump right in and make a go of it like you did with the home brewing kit. Wish I was more like that but I get cautious too much, I think.

Ian

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just out of curiosity, Sherm, where do you put the wood chips - right in the bottom? And do you ignite them just the way you would an outside grill or smoker? With what as an igniter? Interesting - we actually hadn't even considered this. My brother is getting into this with us and he declares we'll set the house on fire! How much danger is there of that? I know you already said that indoor smoking doesn't fill your house with smoke, only a nice smokey odor, not overwhelming. But flame? How is that controlled? And is all this going to work on an electric stove? Unfortunately, that's what we have to work with. I know you're not afraid to try something new and different - you just jump right in and make a go of it like you did with the home brewing kit. Wish I was more like that but I get cautious too much, I think.

Ian

There is no danger that I can see that would be with this unit.

Yes, the wood chips go on the very bottom of the unit, then the drip pan, and then the perforated plate onto which you'd place the meat to be smoked.

It only releases a modest amount of smoke. But you might want to open a window in the kitchen or turn on the exhaust fan on the overhead hood if you have one. You can wet smoke or dry smoke, depending on the food that you want to cook & smoke in the unit.

With the vent in the dome lid open, start with the burner at about medium high. When you see the smoke begin to come from the vent, close it to trap the smoke inside the unit. When the food is done, the wood chips will be charred. That is normal. You'll still smell that heavenly mild smokey aroma all throughout the kitchen!

The only smoke that you'll smell is the very mild, but pleasant smell of smoke coming from the smoker. The food will be mildly smoked without the smokey flavor & taste being overbearing.

Lower the heat from the burner when the temp gauge reaches about 190 to 200 degrees. Adjust burner as needed to maintain and hold the temp gauge at about 190 degrees. Cook your food for the specified amount of time recommended until done to perfection. :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Never saw THIS one before! :eating2:

Attachments

• Demeyere Resto 12.5-Inch Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker.jpg
    Demeyere Resto 12.5-Inch Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 267

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherman, your stovetop smoker looks like a Weber kettle.

What brand is it?

Lee

Hah!

I never thought about that!

But yes, the lid DOES make it appear as though it is a Weber Kettle Grill.

And the purpose of the high-dome lid is so that you can also smoke whole chickens and small roasts. :weber:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Saw it on the other day in an infommercial.

I STILL wouldn't get it!!

I'll stick with the old way. If it isn't broken, then DON'T fix it!!! :weber: