got Ransom?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I guess the liberal left snowflakes have been so well educated with the Common Core requirements they are brain dead.

mega-screams about infected computers, mega-mega-screams about people who paid the ransom but did not get their magic key. . . .

let's do some math:

reported by the MSM numbnuts: 200,000 computers locked up.
if it takes 30 seconds for the bad guy to confirm payment, look up the key, and email the key, that's = 200,000 * 30 = 6,000,000 seconds = 100,000 minutes = 1666.66666666666 hours =
69.44444444444444444 days.
if they don't sleep, eat or do anything else.

how many 'bad guys' involved? perhaps 3 . . . ?
no, there's not a gang of hundreds involved - somebody would blab.....

keep your data backed up on an external hard drive that you physically disconnect. keep a current image of the operating system.

do not set your computer to "automatically update" - do than manually like once a month and never install any update or patch that has not been released for at least a month.

I've never been hit by this sort of thing. actually the number 1 source of problems in my world has been screwed up Microsoft "patches" - they have caused me hours and hours and days and days of computer trouble shooting and rebuilding grief. viri and malware, not so much.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd all your advice. It's not IF you will get hit with a virus, maiware, ransomware or drive failure ...but when. one of those will happen to us all. you never know when. Back up your stuff if you care about it. I do it with external hard drives. Easy peezy. I do not trust the online backup options. Then I'm giving my stuff to a stranger. 99% are probably okay but I'm paranoid and know how to take care of it myself. JMHO.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I guess the liberal left snowflakes have been so well educated with the Common Core requirements they are brain dead.

mega-screams about infected computers, mega-mega-screams about people who paid the ransom but did not get their magic key. . . .

let's do some math:

reported by the MSM numbnuts: 200,000 computers locked up.
if it takes 30 seconds for the bad guy to confirm payment, look up the key, and email the key, that's = 200,000 * 30 = 6,000,000 seconds = 100,000 minutes = 1666.66666666666 hours =
69.44444444444444444 days.
if they don't sleep, eat or do anything else.

how many 'bad guys' involved? perhaps 3 . . . ?
no, there's not a gang of hundreds involved - somebody would blab.....

keep your data backed up on an external hard drive that you physically disconnect. keep a current image of the operating system.

do not set your computer to "automatically update" - do than manually like once a month and never install any update or patch that has not been released for at least a month.

I've never been hit by this sort of thing. actually the number 1 source of problems in my world has been screwed up Microsoft "patches" - they have caused me hours and hours and days and days of computer trouble shooting and rebuilding grief. viri and malware, not so much.

I never install a patch or update from any site for a month or so. Sometimes never.

All too often the update involves something favorable to the site, not you.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the downside to terrabyte size hard drives - takes way too many DVD's to back up..... the external hard disks are now required reality, sigh.

the other day I tripped over some dumbaxx screeching about how critical is it is install the patch for some Microsoft program vulnerability - I think it was MSWord but I've forgotten. after a long rant and citing the "bug number" etc, the dumbnut did not mention which of the upteenthousand MS KBxxxxxxx patches is 'the fix' - with technical prowess like that the dude better never go into the jungle - there are things there with much more deadly prowess than his.....

perhaps we can get Congress to pass a law prohibiting Microsoft from selling any new operating system until they've figured out how to debug the last one....

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Installing a few updates . . . :whistling:

Attachments

• IMG_6043.jpg
    IMG_6043.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 947

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
with technical prowess like that the dude better never go into the jungle - there are things there with much more deadly prowess than his.....

Love it! Thank you for making my day.