SSD Drives

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
They are getting cheaper

There is a 1 TB drive out now.

Power on button to desktop is 57 seconds (Win 7 Pro)

Wish I could have one instead of just putting them in for others.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
a TB hopefully?

had any feedback on the 'wearing out' issue? as a primary partition one wonders about Win's constant pagefile activity - 'spread out' is spread out, okay - but Windows does a lot of paging....

rocket_j_dawg

I picked up a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB drive at a trade show last month. $225. Replaced the HD in my external drive. It literally sucks the backups out of my laptop and it's an I7 with 16G mem, running Win7. Very impressive little HD.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have two external USB hard drives both by Seagate a 1TB and 3 TB models in their compact portable models. They can be setup as USB 2.0 or 3.0, eSATA or Firewire by simply changing the cables. I connect via a docking station for my lap to or carry a drive with me on the road in my laptop bag.

I also have a Scandisk wireless 64GB stick drive like [ame]http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connect-Wireless-Flash-Drive/dp/B00DM8PK3O/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1403188231&sr=8-15&keywords=scandisk[/ame] that I got as 32 GB but up graded to 64 by changing MicroSDHC cards in it and have several. I use this for movies on my Kindle. Works really well but wished it was capable for more storage capacity.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
These are a whole nuther animal Joe.

They replace internal hard drives and make the machine blinding fast.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
....5 TB

gosh. that's a bit of storage (g)

I started on an XT with 10 meg HD; then moved to an AT that had the 30-30 C:/D: Winchester drive, and on and up from there.....

350-500 GB seem to be enough for me. and I like "no paper"!
the latest desktop and laptop both have 1 TB - it's rather mostly empty....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder - More than once, I have said "I'll never need more than that". I have always been wrong. I recall you are retired, I am still an active consultant. I am sure you know, but, you Neff three drives for RAID 5. RAID 5 will not loose any data on a one five failure. You need 4 drives for RAID 10. RAID 10 will not loose any data if Terri drives fail. So, why not throw in an extra drive and why not tetras, as long I am dreaming about things I cannot afford.

BTW I hear you on the XT. My first system was a TRS-80 with a homebuilt 4 floppy enclosure. 360 K 5.25" drives.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
....5 TB

gosh. that's a bit of storage (g)

I started on an XT with 10 meg HD; then moved to an AT that had the 30-30 C:/D: Winchester drive, and on and up from there.....

350-500 GB seem to be enough for me. and I like "no paper"!
the latest desktop and laptop both have 1 TB - it's rather mostly empty....

I still remember one of the XT ads - "20MB, more storage than you will ever need."

lololololololol

I rip Blu-Rays (MKV files) to external drives and back each drive to one more external. Not RAID but I'm a computer nummy.

So far I have 4TB full and am about a third through with my second set of 4TB drives. Those movies and the high def audio take lots of gigs. ;)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
it was somewhere in the 500 MB range that kept me out of trouble.

retired, yup... my 'specialty' was data analysis on mountains of stuff. it was all custom purpose-specific programming - the data would totally bomb any kind of "stock" aka Excel/Access.

I used external Firewire/USB HDs to hold the data - TB drives were years in the future at that point. I think the biggest I worked on - the data sets came in on 12 CD's - all zipped .txt /.csv files. it was a bear just copying/unzipping the stuff.

got quite a few pix, not much video. perhaps that's why I'm not saturated.