Spice rub help?

Derek

Banned
I'm going to be rubbing my pork meat, And I would like to know what kind of dry rub I can make? I have the basic spices, and some not so basic.

I can't use a real smoker so I was going to slow cook it for 4 day's or until Sunday dinner.

What would be a basic dry rub?

And can I slow roast pepkra along with my garlic?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
FOUR days? What are you trying to do, salt cure it? You can cook a pork roast at 225 in the oven in 8 – 12 hours depending on it’s size.

Rubs vary on preference. I like:

Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
Cayenne

Some add sugar (brown and/or white). Also, some rub the meat in mustard first to aid in adhering the spices and forming the “bark” or crust.

Want a neat trick for doing and oven pork roast (or ham, chicken, turkey, etc) in the oven at 225? Put it in a brown paper bag first. Fold and seal the bag, then place it on a cookie sheet or baking dish. Paper will not ignite and burn until it reaches 450 degrees, so that brown paper bag is an awesome and safe seal at 225. Neat trick.

Derek

Banned
FOUR days? What are you trying to do, salt cure it? You can cook a pork roast at 225 in the oven in 8 – 12 hours depending on it’s size.

Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
Cayenne

Some add sugar (brown and/or white). Also, some rub the meat in mustard first to aid in adhering the spices and forming the “bark” or crust.

Want a neat trick for doing and oven pork roast (or ham, chicken, turkey, etc) in the oven at 225? Put it in a brown paper bag first. Fold and seal the bag, then place it on a cookie sheet or baking dish. Paper will not ignite and burn until it reaches 450 degrees, so that brown paper bag is an awesome and safe seal at 225. Neat trick.
That's how my mom taught me, And thanks bro, I'll give it a go.

Derek

Banned

Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
Cayenne

Couldn't I do the Alton Brown Tent foil trick? And this will become pulled pork.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Couldn't I do the Alton Brown Tent foil trick? And this will become pulled pork.

It doesn’t really matter how you do it as long as you cover it some way, and cook it at 225 for 8 – 10 hours or until internal temp is 195 to 205 degrees. At that point, she will shred.

There are many tribal ways of cooking that involve wrapping the meat in banana leaves or a blanket , bury it, then build a fire over it. The idea is the same. Long slow covered cook times at 225 until it shreds.

Derek

Banned
It doesn’t really matter how you do it as long as you cover it some way, and cook it at 225 for 8 – 10 hours or until internal temp is 195 to 205 degrees. At that point, she will shred.

There are many tribal ways of cooking that involve wrapping the meat in banana leaves or a blanket , bury it, then build a fire over it. The idea is the same. Long slow covered cook times at 225 until it shreds.
And it will cook fully?

Some times, it sounds too good to be true you know Kelt?

But I think You may be right though, 225 at 12 hours pretty much over night will cook it slowly and kill the germs.

By the way Can I add wood ships from a friends smoker while it's slow cooking?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

EGGSLant advice..

Bam's Spicy Chili Rub

all-purpose rub for chicken, fish, pork, beef, or lamb

Barbecue Spice Rub this one is good in the oven

Bam's All Purpose BBQ Rub

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yes it will cook all the way through safely... thats how we do pulled pork on the bbq... 225*F until the meat reaches a temperature like keltin stated

no do not add wood to your oven, unless of course you want to burn your place down..lol

And it will cook fully?

Some times, it sounds too good to be true you know Kelt?

But I think You may be right though, 225 at 12 hours pretty much over night will cook it slowly and kill the germs.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Nope. Don't use wood in your oven. Wood has to be in contact with direct heat to smoke and burn. Not something you want to do indoors in your oven. There IS a way to gently smoke in your oven, but you need a special lidded pan.

And you definitely do not want to add raw or partially burnt wood to your meat. Ever.

It will be fine without the smoke, and will shred properly. Concentrate first on cooking it to shred and be tender, then concentrate on your sauce for any flavor you think might go missing without the smoke. A good BBQ dipping or finsihing sauce for example. You could add liquid smoke, but I don't recommend it. Just make a to-die-for finshing sauce, and you're set.

Derek

Banned
Nope. Don't use wood in your oven. Wood has to be in contact with direct heat to smoke and burn. Not something you want to do indoors in your oven. There IS a way to gently smoke in your oven, but you need a special lidded pan.

And you definitely do not want to add raw or partially burnt wood to your meat. Ever.

It will be fine without the smoke, and will shred properly. Concentrate first on cooking it to shred and be tender, then concentrate on your sauce for any flavor you think might go missing without the smoke. A good BBQ dipping or finsihing sauce for example. You could add liquid smoke, but I don't recommend it. Just make a to-die-for finshing sauce, and you're set.
Kelt, You have a good point, I'll rub my bbq sauce on the meat as soon as it's thawed.

Do I want to put the garlic cloves in the MEAT it self by cut slits in the meat and putting the cloves in the slit?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I don't have some fo the ingredients.

Jeff, Can I pour dr pepper over the roast let it cook for 4 hours then put my bbq sauce on? and let it cook 4 more hours?

And how much juice to add to the pan so the meat can get some moisture in it?

You can do all that as long as you keep it covered so it doesn't evaporate.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Kelt, Now how good does the foil tent need to be?

Just get a baking dish with a 1.5 to 2 inch high side wall. Put you meat in. Season and sauce as you desire. Then cover it with foil making sure to pinch the foil down to the sides and handles of the baking dish for a tight seal.

If you have a covered roaster, skip the foil and just use it since cover tops are easier to work with.

Derek

Banned
Just get a baking dish with a 1.5 to 2 inch high side wall. Put you meat in. Season and sauce as you desire. Then cover it with foil making sure to pinch the foil down to the sides and handles of the baking dish for a tight seal.

If you have a covered roaster, skip the foil and just use it since cover tops are easier to work with.
I don't have one of those, maybe it will be time to take a look.

By the way the roast is small.

High Cheese

Saucier
Four DAYS?!?!?! You're on crack man! Kill what germs?

First off, what cut of meat do you have and how much does it weigh?

Secondly, like everyone else said: 225/235 until the internal temp reads 195-205 and your DONE! It could take 8 hours or it could take 4 hours. It all depends on the size of the meat. Your thermometer will tell you when it's done not a clock.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If you want to smoke in the house be sure you have lots of ventilation and use one of the pans shown below. I've tried both and both have worked well but again you need some ventilation especially when you open them. The top one is a Cameron's multi cooker and the other is an Emerilware cast iron smoker. I own the Cameron and my son has the Emerilware cast iron one. Both of these I use the wood pellets with or small chips.

Attachments

• Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg
    Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 146

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I don't mean to be a pooper, but is this conversation in the right thread ?

Wouldn't "Cooking Questions" be more appropriate ?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Four DAYS?!?!?! You're on crack man! Kill what germs?

First off, what cut of meat do you have and how much does it weigh?

Secondly, like everyone else said: 225/235 until the internal temp reads 195-205 and your DONE! It could take 8 hours or it could take 4 hours. It all depends on the size of the meat. Your thermometer will tell you when it's done not a clock.

LOL! Just set it and forget it! :yum: