Make your own Vanilla Extract.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Has anyone done this before? I think that there are a few of you who've done it before. Lost the thread on it.

Anyway, I'm running low on mine, and it'll soon be time to make some more of it. But to do it requires using vanilla beans, and here, they can only be bought in expensive gourmet stores lik Williams Senoma, and they want too much money just for two of them in a small vile!!

Do any of you know where I can get vanilla beans at a reasonable price without having to pay a ton of money for them?

Thanks for your help. :eating2:

Attachments

• vanilla-extract.jpg
    vanilla-extract.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,027

Saliha

Thanks about idea. I usually have made just some berry syrups by myself (like some heavenly strawberry syrup... ). Why I haven´t tried this one?

:bonk: and goes to find recipes

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a bottle I made a while back after seeing Joe V post a while back at how he does it. I've used the following recipe. Oh and I used vodka for the first batch but will try Bourbon, Rum and Brandy in the future to see which I like best.

How to Make Vanilla Extract

Ingredients:
Jar or Bottle
Vanilla Beanshttp://www.beanilla.com/vanilla/vanilla-beans in your favorite variety (rule of thumb is 5-7 beans per 1 cup of alcohol)
Vodka, but you can also use Bourbon, Rum or Brandy

Directions:
1. Use a knife to split the bean in half, leave about ½ inch at each end intact.
2. Put your vanilla beans in your glass bottle or jar and cover with vodka.
3. Close jar or bottle and store in a cool, dry place for at least 8 weeks. Give the bottle a shake every week or so.

Saliha

I would need some recipe to do it but without alcohol or vegetable glyserine. I found one with vanilla beans, baking soda, olive oil and water but no measures of the ingredients.

:neutral:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Found it listed at the bottom of this page. Couldn't find it before, because I didn't know where to look for it.

But here's mine. The amount in the jar is almost low now. I can't believe that I did that! I thought that maybe the other thread was deleted!
Actually also, I wanted the picture of mine, which was not in the Picture folder. :eating2:

Attachments

• Vanilla Extract.jpg
    Vanilla Extract.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,062