Reimer Glop Casserole

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I adapted this from a recipe I found in a magazine. The recipe was very much like a favorite from my grandmother, who got it from her best friend, Lucille Reimer. Nan called it "Reimer Glop" - we ADORED it.

When my grandmother died, I looked through all her recipes, trying to find the one for Glop. No dice.

Although she mixed the cheeses in with the rest of the ingredients on top of the stove, instead of layering them and baking them in a casserole dish, it's similar. But the casserole doesn't look like GLOP. :smile:

I used ground turkey this time. It's important to season each layer with the seasonings you like, especially if you are using bland ground turkey.

This is a winner!

Oh, the first plated photo was hot out of the oven the first night. The second plated photo is of some of the leftovers - it slices nicely when cold and presents well - this was after nuking it.

Lee

Reimer Glop Casserole

½ box elbow macaroni, cooked, with a little butter and a little salt
1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 shallot, minced (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms (or 8 oz would be fine)
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
Splash red wine
Seasoning for meat layer (garlic powder, Tony Cachere’s, whatever you like)
4 oz. cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened
½ cup cottage cheese
½ green pepper, chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped
Seasoning for cheese layer (seasoned salt, smoked paprika, whatever you like)
Topping of whatever shredded cheese you like

Preheat oven to 350.

Saute onion, garlic and shallots in a little olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for a few more minutes. Add the meat and brown it until no more pink (if using fatty ground beef, drain some fat). Season with what you like. Add both cans of tomato sauce and a splash of red wine. Simmer until sauce is reduced a bit.

Cook macaroni; mix a little butter and salt in it.

In a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese, cottage cheese, chopped green pepper and green onion. Season as you like.
Grease a 2 quart casserole. Layer half the macaroni on the bottom, spread half of the meat mixture next, then all of the cream/cottage cheese mixture. Then the other half of macaroni, the other half of meat mixture, and top with shredded cheese.

Bake at 350, covered, for an hour.
Glop in casserole.JPG
Glop plated, hot.JPG
IMG_4074.JPG

Last edited:

Ian M.

Thanks, Lee, for sharing this fantastic-looking casserole. It's just the sort of comfort food that we absolutely love and I can guarantee no left-overs at our house. What I don't gobble down, my father and my son certainly will with Fallon giving us a close run for our money! Again, thanks for posting this - I'm pretty sure it'll become a family favourite.

Ian