Wild Game

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I have been curious about trying venison, antelope, or buffalo and have found a few websites to order it from. Has anyone ever ordered wild game over the internet to have it delieverd? Any good?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I've never ordered those over the internet. My brother and I used to keep the freezer in deer meat and a little antelope. I have had bison and it was pretty good.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I posted some venison recipes I had.

Venison makes good chili too.

Jim

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The back strap from venison is one of my favorite dishes that is the way my wife makes it. I usually get one a year as my son that lives here is a hunter. I've also had buffalo which is pretty much like beef though a bit leaner.

Nica

From their prices I think I might want to add a few buffalo to my mix of critters!

Does look good!

lechatchic

Several years ago, we bought a buffalo to butcher. The price was significantly less than beef at the time. It was very good. The steaks were to die for, the burger was great. The roasts were gamey,but not too bad.

As far as shipping meat, I have no idea how that would work, but I think Omaha Steaks does a good job (second hand knowledge)

Nica

Yes they do a good job of shipping. We received a package of frozen steaks as a gift and I was impressed with the protective packaging. The steaks were great too!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I went to a place called BlackWing and ordered the Buffalo package, with ribeyes, strips, and a few other things I can't recall. Also ordered some ground venison (for chili) and a pheasant. I'm ready to try new things, I'm tired of beef, chicken and occasional pork. DH can't handle pork so it limits me to what we can cook. So that is another reason I'm looking at other alternatives.

Hey Nica... what is antelope like? There is a place here in Texas that sells it... so I'm wondering about that now!

Nica

I've tried a lot of different things, but I've never tasted antelope. I hear it has a very distintive taste and you either like it or you don't.

I suggest you try a small package just to see and let us know what you think.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I went to a place called BlackWing and ordered the Buffalo package, with ribeyes, strips, and a few other things I can't recall. Also ordered some ground venison (for chili) and a pheasant. I'm ready to try new things, I'm tired of beef, chicken and occasional pork. DH can't handle pork so it limits me to what we can cook. So that is another reason I'm looking at other alternatives.

Hey Nica... what is antelope like? There is a place here in Texas that sells it... so I'm wondering about that now!

I do have to agree with you Sattie. I get tired of the same ol stuff. Did anyone watch Iron Chef where I think it was Elk as the secret ingredient? It looked AMAZING!!!!!! :w00t2:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I do have to agree with you Sattie. I get tired of the same ol stuff. Did anyone watch Iron Chef where I think it was Elk as the secret ingredient? It looked AMAZING!!!!!! :w00t2:

Actually that is what spurred me to make my purchase. After watching that I was like, OK... lets try some new stuff!!!! So here in about 3 days, I should be receiving my package!!! :waiting:

RNE228

Antelope is wonderful. It is very lean, fine grained, and tender. I have gotten antelope in Wyoming a number of times. It is very very good.

I would warn you, don't try to cook cook antelope etc like beef. Cook it slow and moist. Cooking it like beef will bring out the gamey flavors(which I like; grain fed is boring). Timothy Manion has some great game cookbooks, many with complete menus.

Locutus

You either love or hate antelope. I've killed (and eaten) between 50 and 60 of them over the years.

Obviously, I love it. My wife will eat it in chili or spicy Italian dfishes, but not plain. I like it plain as steaks, burgers and jerky. ;)

If you happen to get an old one that's a bit gamey, just make stuffed bell peppers, chili, stuffed eggplant or spaghetti and meatballs with it. :chef:

lilylove

:clap::clap:um...are you sure I can talk about hunting and meat here with out getting yelled at? I'm kind of afraid!

Venison is wonderful!!
Elk is even better!
Buffalo is great!
Bear YUMMMMY!!

We've never bought it on line but as most of you know Paul does hunt so we do get deer and bear once in awhile. I have some recipes if anyone is interested. Just let me know!

can I post the photos the almost got me kicked off another site?:yum:

AllenOK

One thing to remember about eating bear meat. If the bear ever has contact with people, you have to assume that it's eating trash, and possibly carries the trichonella parasite. You'll have to cook bear meat med-well to well done to kill the parasite, just like pork.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I love venison - we get from our farmer's market. I also picked up pheasant (need casseroling). We have also eaten boar and water buffalo. None off the internet though.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
One thing to remember about eating bear meat. If the bear ever has contact with people, you have to assume that it's eating trash, and possibly carries the trichonella parasite. You'll have to cook bear meat med-well to well done to kill the parasite, just like pork.

yup agree.... i love bear, first time i had it was from the Northwest Territories... yummy

gotta cook it well to be safe... pigs and bears are "cousins"

have eaten emu,ostrich,gater....favorite is moose and buffalo

Constance

I always liked venison, but one year my husband and grandson killed 8 of them for the three of us, and I got burnt out on it. The boy is gone, and my husband can't hunt anymore, but I'd like to get together with an expert, and see what he could do with it.

I had a buffalo burger when I was a kid and we were traveling west. I ate it just like a regular burger, and thought it was great...and I was a picky kid.

I also love quail, squirrel, and wild rabbit. Let's face it...I'm a hillbilly.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
My son treated me to an interesting meal for my 60th birthday....... the restaurant is near Williamstown, N.J.- The Creole' Cafe.................Wrote this down the next day...........

we went there (creole' cafe') last night, the five of us;
i got my blackened ostrich breast-
wasn't real taken with it......... something subtle that stayed on the roof of my mouth and was vaguely unpleasant.....................

DIL had a great crab appetizer- could have eaten it all, if she'd let me, but she stayed with a traditional cut of beef for the main course. (sissy!)

larry had a nice looking cut of buffalo........ an inch thick
very lean, kinda dry and, to me, a little bit on over-cooked, but definitely a nice steak....i'd probably order this, but rarer..........

my alligator appetizer was not so impressive- i've had 'gator before, as medallions rolled in a corn-flake kind of breading and deep fried, with a teriyaki dipping sauce, which i loved- the dish last nite was more like the way you do clam strips in batter- not much meat, if you can picture that.............the dipping sauce was tomato-based and standing alone, was very nice. unfortunately, it was served with the wrong meat, in my view. (would'a been nice with mozzarella sticks, LOL....)

DW had the "pick of the litter", so to speak; it was a filet mignon- looking cut of kangaroo!
this cut was so good; i only got a few bites (wanted, BEGGED FOR, more) 'cause she liked it a lot, as well.

the grits were polluted with a liquid-smoke flavor which chased me off........
the jambalaya was watery, and in my opinion not nearly as good as mine.........tho' it was probably closer than mine to the traditional
the garlic-mashed taters were lumpy, buttery and out of this world...............
the steamed (boiled??) veggies were pedestrian but plentiful..........
the bread was an on- premises mix of rolls and sticks, and beautifully presented (egg wash and more, i think)
there was nothing for the Grandkid on the menu; i asked the server if it would be okay for me to go down the road to mickey "D"'s for the little one; word came out of the kitchen that the baby would be dining on a spaghetti, french fry plate, if acceptable..............amazingly, there was nothing on the bill to reflect this, just a notation about one child's plate- no charge.........

desserts were authentic.
the gals had bananas foster- neither one could finish the dish, and believe me, they tried-lord, they tried...........

Son Boy had a creme Brule that was huge! and great!

i stayed sane- had a slice of key-lime pie..... never had better....................

.won't be trying the chicory coffee again, .........'nuff said........................

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes Cajun coffee is enough to make you quit drinking coffee for ever. Just plan nasty stuff and will eat the finish off of galvanized steel in seconds too.