Basic Soy Sauce Jerky

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
This is a basic marinate. I like to use a combination of soy sauce and brown sugar sweetened to taste. Add crushed red pepper, chili pepper, cayenne pepper, or jalapeno pepper if you like it hot. You can add garlic powder, onion powder, Cajun spice or any spices you like - to taste.

Mix the ingredients together and taste it. This is what your jerky will taste like once dried so taste your marinate before you use it. For 5 lbs. thinly sliced meat 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.

Mix together
1 teaspoon Prague Powder #1 or 2 tablespoons Morton's Tender Quick salt
1/2 lb brown sugar
2 cups soy sauce
Spices of you choice . . . I like to use . . .
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
liquid smoke (if you don’t have a smoker)to taste

Marinate the meat for 20 to 30 minutes. Thicker cuts of meat will need to marinate a lot longer. It is important that the meat is marinated completely. The meat will turn brown when it has absorbed the marinate. The meat can sit in the marinate overnight if you wish.

Drying Meat
My oven has very low settings so I do jerky in the oven by lining my racks with aluminum foil and laying the meat on the foil. Cook at 150 ºF for the first 30 minutes turn the strips over then continue cooking at 170ºF for another 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Turn the strips at least twice and pat with a dry paper towels to remove any moisture you see.

Melted fats will look like shiny spots wipe it off!

Place one layer of meat on each rack or tray without the meat touching.

If you like slightly thicker slices, then increase the drying time accordingly.

Store in clean jars with tight lid, plastic Ziploc bags or vacuum seal if you plan to keep it for more than a week.

If using a smoker bring smoker temperature up to 150 ºF for the first 30 minutes turn the strips over then continue cooking at 170ºF for another 2 hours and 30 minutes.

NOTE: Use smoke only for about the first 30 minutes after that just use heat. I like hickory and or Mesquite wood for Jerky.​