JoeV Dark Rye

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Re: Dark Rye

Here's one me and Homecook make frequently. It's delicious!

Polish Sourdough Rye Bread ~ Chleb Zwykly na Zakwasie

Ingredients:

18.4 oz. Rye sourdough starter ~ 50/50 starter
(Take regular sourdough starter and start building a rye starter from it by feeding 6oz. of white starter with 1/2C of rye flour & same weight of warm water. Build until you have enough for 2-1/3C of starter. It should take you 2-3 days.)

27 oz. Unbleached bread flour
2-1/2t Instant Yeast
1T Salt
10.6 oz. Warm milk
2 lg. eggs at room temperature
2T Molasses
1T Caraway Seeds (optional, but I don't know why you would want to leave it out.)

In the bowl of your mixer combine the starter, warm milk, eggs and molasses. Use paddle to insure all liquids are combined. In a separate bowl combine the bread flour, instant yeast and salt. Start mixer on speed two and add flour until all is combined. Leave on speed two for 6-7 minutes. Dough should pull from sides of the bowl and be free from the bottom of the bowl. Dough should be soft but not sticky. If needed, add flour 1T at a time until dough no longer is sticky. Remove dough from mixer and shape into a ball. Then put it into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. let sit until it doubles in size; about 60-90 minutes.

Remove risen dough and place on a lightly oil misted work surface. DO NOT PUNCH DOWN. Divide dough in half and stretch-fold the dough like you are folding a 3-fold letter. Using your finger tips, shape the folded dough into a square about 6" wide, then tightly roll the dough into the shape of a log. Pinch closed the seam as well and pinch & tuck the ends as well. Place in lightly oiled 9" bread pans and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise about 1-1/2 X, about 45 minutes. You can also make a free form loaf and place on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet. Cover and raise as above.

Preheat oven at 400F. Brush risen dough with egg wash and bake for 30 minutes. Internal bread temperature should be 195-210F. Immediately remove from pans to raised cooling racks. Let rest for 1 hour before slicing to eat. Wait until bread is room temperature (2-3 hours) before bagging and freezing.Bread will be good for 30 days in the freezer, or 5-7 days in sealed bag on your counter.

P1040560_zpsaebc8bd4.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I made this Friday. We both loved it.

One of my first journeys into weighing ingredients instead of measuring by volume. I was pleasantly surprised that it just came together and was ready to rise almost out of the mixer.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I think you'll find "by weight" a much more consistent approach.

as a side benefit - it's easier & faster because there is far less "adjusting" one has to do to get the end effect right. most of my T&T bread recipes have been tweaked to the point it's essentially a dump/mix/rise thing - it goes very quick!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks wonderful. I agree rye bread isn't "really" rye without the seeds!! Do you have a pic of it sliced?

Where is my corned beef?

:thankyou: :readytoeat:

BTW have you ever posted your sour dough started recipe?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep - did you keep your starter going? If not, want some more?

I used it all that bread was wonderful (I made 2 loaves). Thank you. I am the only one who likes seeded rye in my house. :sad: I really would love to make some regular sour dough bread (for everyone) and some of Joe's rye (for me). I would love some more. The starter tasted so nice and tangy (I ate the little bit that was left raw).

Leni

Check out Saliha's receipe for what she calls the root of dough. It worked for me so far.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
LOL Peeps. I take some every day when I feed my starter. I too like the tangy taste.

I will gladly give you more, there are all kinds of recipes and a lot of research saying sourdough is pretty good for you. I feed my starter every night. The first step is to throw out half of the starter. I would rather see it go to good use. Feeding is simple, half a cup of water (95 to 115 degrees) a cup of flour, mix well, you're done. Add more flour and water at the same ratio to increase the amount of starter.

DW had a lingering upset stomach. She claims that sourdough has helped it a lot.

Leni - I absolutely intend to try Saliha's recipe it looks delishous. I like all kinds of rye and rye flour is particularly good four you.

I will probably make some root of the dough, however, the directions look an awful lot like making sourdough starter from scratch. I wouldn't mind having two strains.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
LOL Peeps. I take some every day when I feed my starter. I too like the tangy taste.

I will gladly give you more, there are all kinds of recipes and a lot of research saying sourdough is pretty good for you. I feed my starter every night. The first step is to throw out half of the starter. I would rather see it go to good use. Feeding is simple, half a cup of water (95 to 115 degrees) a cup of flour, mix well, you're done. Add more flour and water at the same ratio to increase the amount of starter.

DW had a lingering upset stomach. She claims that sourdough has helped it a lot.

Leni - I absolutely intend to try Saliha's recipe it looks delishous. I like all kinds of rye and rye flour is particularly good four you.

I will probably make some root of the dough, however, the directions look an awful lot like making sourdough starter from scratch. I wouldn't mind having two strains.

Sour dough and rye breads are better for diabetics. I used to buy seeded Jewish sour rye at a bakery years ago that was wonderful. It was tangy and "sticky" (that's the only way I can describe it, when you pinched it, it would stay stuck together, nice and soft). But they don't make it any more.

Do you weigh the flour and water?

Leni

I think that it is basically the same as what the 49'rs used. Anyhow it was rising and looking good. It does have a tangy taste. My DH is diabetic and I'm told that rye is much better for him than white. I put the leftover in the freezer as told by Sahila.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, of course, you are correct. For the moment, I am getting a kick out of "feeding the pets every night. I would like to maybe get a solid strain of rye sour going as well.

When I did a lot of baking before, the starter was in the fridge.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ummmmmm - Barb, do you need an addresses to send that to?

Did you put molasses in that? Mine was darker.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Re: Dark Rye

Here's one me and Homecook make frequently. It's delicious!

Polish Sourdough Rye Bread ~ Chleb Zwykly na Zakwasie

Ingredients:

18.4 oz. Rye sourdough starter ~ 50/50 starter
(Take regular sourdough starter and start building a rye starter from it by feeding 6oz. of white starter with 1/2C of rye flour & same weight of warm water. Build until you have enough for 2-1/3C of starter. It should take you 2-3 days.)

27 oz. Unbleached bread flour
2-1/2t Instant Yeast
1T Salt
10.6 oz. Warm milk
2 lg. eggs at room temperature
2T Molasses
1T Caraway Seeds (optional, but I don't know why you would want to leave it out.)

In the bowl of your mixer combine the starter, warm milk, eggs and molasses. Use paddle to insure all liquids are combined. In a separate bowl combine the bread flour, instant yeast and salt. Start mixer on speed two and add flour until all is combined. Leave on speed two for 6-7 minutes. Dough should pull from sides of the bowl and be free from the bottom of the bowl. Dough should be soft but not sticky. If needed, add flour 1T at a time until dough no longer is sticky. Remove dough from mixer and shape into a ball. Then put it into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. let sit until it doubles in size; about 60-90 minutes.

Remove risen dough and place on a lightly oil misted work surface. DO NOT PUNCH DOWN. Divide dough in half and stretch-fold the dough like you are folding a 3-fold letter. Using your finger tips, shape the folded dough into a square about 6" wide, then tightly roll the dough into the shape of a log. Pinch closed the seam as well and pinch & tuck the ends as well. Place in lightly oiled 9" bread pans and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise about 1-1/2 X, about 45 minutes. You can also make a free form loaf and place on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet. Cover and raise as above.

Preheat oven at 400F. Brush risen dough with egg wash and bake for 30 minutes. Internal bread temperature should be 195-210F. Immediately remove from pans to raised cooling racks. Let rest for 1 hour before slicing to eat. Wait until bread is room temperature (2-3 hours) before bagging and freezing.Bread will be good for 30 days in the freezer, or 5-7 days in sealed bag on your counter.

P1040560_zpsaebc8bd4.jpg

WOW!!

JoeV, you've been really pumping out a lot of nice freshly baked bread!! Guess your Bosch Universal is really living up to it's name!! Hah!! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

homecook

Andy, you know you're always welcome! Just come by the kitchen window. lol

Yes, I did use molasses. Maybe it's the camera........