Date Halva

Saliha

22014_l.jpg
'

250g walnuts (0,55 pound)
250g blanched whole almonds (0.55 pound)
450g fresh dates, halved, pitted (0.99 pound)
50g sesame seeds (1 pound)
3 teaspoons orange flower water (see note)
Icing sugar, to dust
eatable flowers as decoration (optional)

Preheat oven to 180 C/356 F. Roast nuts separately for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool, then coarsely chop. Process nuts, with remaining ingredients in a food processor until combined. Press mixture into a 15cm x 24cm block between 2 sheets of baking paper. Place in freezer to firm for 20 minutes. Cut into 2cm squares, dust with icing sugar and top with a borage flower, if using. Halva will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.

Note: Also known as orange blossom water, this is distilled from fragrant Seville orange blossoms and used in sweet and savoury cooking. Both this and borage flowers are available from Middle Eastern food stores and delicatessens. As substitute you can use orange extract but only use 1 teaspoon to get an orange taste or grated orange zest from 1/2 or 1 orange.

Source: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22014/date halva

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've gotten halva- delicious. sort-of local markets sell that, & 1 grocery place makes cakes of halva.
looks great!

chilefarmer

I love Halva. I have eaten it in several forms but never this one. I am sure we have all or most of the ingredients. Just checked ,don't have fresh dates but do have dried. We mostly just buy from the middle Eastern stores. Thanks CF

Saliha

Dry dates works well in this recipe but their amount might be less than in the recipe (as they are quite sweet). I have used only 300 g or same amount than walnuts and almonds.