Mexican Chorizo

chilefarmer

This is a very spicy fresh sausage. It can be smoked, I like both kinds. I put this up in casings. Most of the time I just package and freeze, unless I am going to be smoking it. CF

Fresh Chorizo

Ingredients:
5 pounds boneless pork butt ground rough, put through grinder once
2-3 chipotles in adobo with sauce
5 cloves garlic
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup white tequila
1 tsp ground cumin
4 TBS Salt
4 TBS ancho chili powder
2-5 tsp pequin chili powder or cayenne pepper
2 TBS granulated toasted onion
2 TBS Smoked Paprika (use sweet paprika for less heat)
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
Plastic gloves to protect your hands- not necessary but are helpful.
Directions: If you have a meat grinder use the course die and only run the pork through once. If you don’t have a grinder, ask your butcher to do this for you.
In a food processor add in the chilies in adobo, garlic, tequila and vinegar. Process until finely chopped and makes a paste.
In a small bowl combine the seasonings.
In a very large bowl, add 1/3 of the ground pork and 1/3 of the spices and 1/3 of the tequila mixture and combine well with your hands. Repeat 2 more times until all of the meat and seasonings have been mixed together.

This is a 15# batch.

MexicanChorizo.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:applause: Very nice CF! :applause: That looks better than anything I've seen in the store!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmm! Beautiful-looking sausage, CF!

I think one bite would take the top of my head off, though!

Nice job!

Lee

Guts

very interesting. I've never made chorizo but by it at my local chorizo store that specializes in just chorizo. Nothing else. What caught my eye was the tequila, does it burn off. Or does it have a little tequila flavor when cooked?

chilefarmer

Guts, sorry I don't have a real answer for your question. I don't drink so have not drank any tequila. Some recipes say you can also use water. I think the tequila does add a little flavor to the sausage. CF