Favorite Vegetarian Recipes

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I know we don't have a forum for this yet, so in the meantime how bout posting your favorite veggie dishes here?

I have to get DW off the phone long enough to get a couple of hers out of her and get em in here, but who's up first?

I know who u think is up first ;) but I just woke up and my brain isnt functioning yet ( guess thats what happens when you turn 40). Anyway, Ill be back later to post a few recipes.

buckytom

Grill Master
i only make 2 vegetarian dishes. :chef:

escarole and white bean soup, and tofu in spicy garlic sauce stir fry.

i wil see if i can find my recipes somewhere.

ok, still not thinking but we had this for dinner the other night and its fresh in my mind.

Moo Shu Vegetables

Cabbage Shredded (regular, nappa, your choice)
Onions cut thinly
mushrooms sliced thin
A few Shitake Mushrooms rehydrated and julienned
Bamboo shoots sliced thinly
carrot julienned
5 or 10 snow peas julienned
hand full of bean sprouts ( not from a can)
Vegetarian Oyster sauce ( which is actually a mushroom sauce)
2 garlic cloves
Hoison sauce
Moo shu wrappers ( tortillas are just too thick in my opinion)
oil

Stir fry the cabbage and onion and mushrooms and garlic in some oil, but not for too long so they retain some of their ' crisp' . sometimes Ill stir fry 1/2 the cabbage, and add the other half at the end of the recipe so it retains its crispness. Anyway, once its cooked to your liking, add the shitake, bamboo shoots, carrots, , bean sprouts, snow peas. for maybe a minute, just until they get warm, but not mushy. Ad a table spoon or two ( or three) of the oyseter sauce, and a squirt of hoison sauce ( maybe a tablespoon at the most). Mix. Taste to see if its salted enough. If not, add more oyster sauce or salt, or soy sauce or whatever you like.

To prepare.

Lay a mu shoo wrapper on the counter ( or plate). Put a smear of hoison sauce in the center going the complete diameter ( I knew i needed geometry for something) of the moo shu wrapper. Take a scoop of the vegetables , place in the center of the wrapper over the hoison sauce smear. Then roll it up.

As u can see, This is off the top of my head, and its early so play with it a little, I m sure everyone gets the idea.

Could also add some fried egg to this. Or turn it into Moo shu chicken, pork .....

Sometimes Ill but the preshredded cole slaw mix in the produce section. makes life easier on a late night.

larry

PanchoHambre

Most of my cooking until the last year or so was Vegetarian due to having veggie roommates and many in my social circle it was just easier. I will need to get some recipes down for my portabelo risotto, eggplant-zucchini-tomato gratin, and countless Pasta dishes. + fried tofu w/rice. I need to write down when I cook to get the proportions

Here is my Tangy 3-Herb Pesto

1 Cup Basil (stemmed and chopped)
1 Cup Cilantro (stemmed and chopped)
1 Cup Flat Leaf Italian Parsley (stemmed and chopped)
1 Cup Parmigano Reggiano (Grated)
1/2 Cup Pecorino Romano
2/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (unfiltered is better)
6 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
1/2 Cup Walnuts (Roasted and Chopped)
Juice 1/2 Small Lemon
Fresh ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt to taste

Add Herbs, Garlic, Cheese & Nuts to FP or blender.
Add oil slowly while pulsing. Push mix back down sides with spatula as needed until well mixed. Add lemon juice S&P to taste and pulse a few times.

This will keep for several days as long as you keep it well sealed

Serving Suggestion: Serve over Al-Dente Pasta w/ Chopped Dates & a white semi-hard cheese (like Queso Oxaca or a good quality Mozzarella) Serve chilled or room temp. Garnish w/ additional nuts/herbs if desired

High Cheese

Saucier
1 pound penne cooked al dente then rinsed under cold water
3/4 green, yellow, red bel pepper, sliced
3/4 Anaheim pepper, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
Handful, or so, cherry tomatoes, halved
*Just under a handful calamatta olives, pitted and halved
*5-6 pickled jalapenos
(*I buy these at the salad bar in my supermarket)
About a cup of chopped parsley

Kosher salt, fresh black pepper, red wine vinegar and EVOO to taste

Combine all of the peppers, onions and penne just so it doesn't "look" like too much of one ingredient. I actually used slightly less penne than a pound.

Drizzle on about 1/4 to 1/3rd cup red wine vinegar and add EVOO to make just enough sauce to coat everything. Add the parsley, saly and pepper to taste. I used quite a bit of salt and pepper to achieve the proper seasoning.

Toss and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

Thick slices of celery sliced on the bias would be nice too.

Bon Appetite

PastanPeppers.jpg

progress.gif

CharlieD

Thick slices of celery sliced on the bias would be nice too.

eh, were doing so well until the celery thing, but then you lost me.

I actually make something very simular, NO Celery, of course, but I serve it hot. My kids love it.

CharlieD

The only true vegetarian dishes I make are the soups. I make a whole bunch of diferent ones, depending on what vegies I find in the fridge or the freezer at the time. I also make vegetarian lasagna, but since it has cheese, I don't know if it is considered truly vegetarian. I can post the recipe for that if somebody wants.

PanchoHambre

guacamole!!!

Yeah I can make a meal out of it too!

When I lived near a Fiesta I would not even bother making guac.. just pick up a few ripe avocados and a loaf of french bread slice. cover with S&P place on bread and eat... dessert sliced mango total cost about $3

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It was always my understanding Vegan was without dairy or any animal products at all, while vegitarian was just without any meat?
Feel free to post both here!

Squash Ragout:

3 medium yellow summer squash cubed
2 medium zuchinni squash cubed
1 medium onion diced
2 medium red potatoes cubed

You can skin the veggies or not, your choice. We don't skin them just scrub em clean.
Pre heat oven to 375 F. Put everything into a large bowl with tight fitting lid. Add 2tbsp of EVOO, salt and pepper to taste, 1tsp minced garlic or use fresh or roasted, 1tsp paprika. If you like a little spice, we had some Cajun Season or Soul Spice or Cayenne pepper.
Put the lid on and shake well. Remove to a baking sheet and put in the oven. Set timer for 10 minutes, shake pan, set for another 10 minutes. Treat it like you would french fries, longer for crispier shorter time for softer.

FryBoy

It was always my understanding Vegan was without dairy or any animal products at all, while vegitarian was just without any meat?...

That's pretty much it. Vegans eat no meat, no eggs, no dairy; traditional vegetarian dishes may contain eggs and/or dairy (e.g., cheese).

FryBoy

This one is actually vegan, but it's really, really good, something even non-vegetarians who think they hate Tofu will like. And it's easy.

BAKED TOFU SZECHWAN STYLE

1 pound extra-firm tofu

Marinade:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger

Sauce:
1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic (available in Chinese food stores)
1 tablespoon peanut butter (regular or crunchy)
2 tablespoons dry sherry

Toppings:
chopped cilantro
sliced green onions
crushed peanuts

1. Cut the tofu into ¾-inch cubes; set tofu cubes on paper towels and cover with more paper towels; allow to drain about 20 minutes.

2. Combine the marinade ingredients in medium bowl and mix well; add tofu to bowl and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 8 hours (cover and refrigerate if marinating more than 30 minutes).

3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

4. Pour tofu and marinade into a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold all of it in a single layer.

5. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once after the first 10 minutes.

6. Combine the sauce ingredients and mix well; pour over tofu and toss to coat evenly.

7. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

8. Let tofu sit for 10 minutes to cool a bit before serving.

9. Serve warm (not piping hot) over plain rice; add toppings as desired.

Serves 3.

FryBoy

Another really good dish, but with dairy. Serve these East Indian–inspired black-eyed peas as a vegetarian main course with steamed basmati rice.

Spiced Black-Eyed Peas with Yogurt & Ginger

1½ cups dried black-eyed peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, minced
4 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup plain yogurt
salt to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Pick over and discard any damaged peas or stones. Rinse the peas. Place in a bowl, add plenty of water to cover and soak for about 3 hours.

Drain the peas and place in a saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until almost tender, about 35 minutes. Drain the peas, reserving the liquid. Set aside.

In a large frying pan over low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and saute, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin and cardamom and saute, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, cover and cook for 2 minutes longer.

Uncover and increase the heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon of the yogurt and continue to stir until it is fully incorporated into the sauce. Continue in the same manner with the remaining yogurt, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Add the peas, ½ cup of the reserved liquid, salt to taste, and the cayenne; cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.

Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is very thick, 3 to 5 minutes.

Transfer to a platter, garnish with the cilantro and serve.

Serves 6

FryBoy

This is great, much better than it may sound.

EGGPLANT ENCHILADAS

2 tablespoons butter
1½ pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 4-ounce can diced chilies
2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 10-ounce cans enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas
plain yogurt for garnish
chopped cilantro for garnish

1. Melt butter in skillet and sauté egg plant and garlic until soft, about 15 minutes.

2. Add onion and green pepper, cook 10 minutes more.

3. Add chilies, 1½ cups cheese, and salt and pepper to skillet, and mix well.

4. Heat enchilada sauce until steamy in small frying pan. Dip a tortilla in sauce until soft; spoon a 12 of the vegetable th mixture down center and roll to enclose filling. Arrange seam side down in a greased 9" by 13" pan. Repeat with each tortilla.

5. Cover all with remaining sauce and cheese.

6. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes at 350° (if cold, baked, covered with foil for 20 minutes, then uncovered 20 minutes).

7. Serve with yogurt and chopped cilantro on the side.

FryBoy

Another great-tasting dish:

EGGPLANT LASAGNA

Eggplant
1 large eggplant, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices (about 16 slices)
olive oil
salt and pepper

Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on two baking sheets that have been lightly coated with olive oil. Lightly brush or spray tops of eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Broil eggplant on high, one baking sheet at a time, about
5 to 8 inches from heat source, until soft and lightly browned, about 2½ minutes. Use spatula to turn slices, and season with salt and pepper. Broil 2½ minutes more. Repeat with other baking sheet. Set aside.

Filling
1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
¼ cup grated Romano cheese
1 egg
1 cup basil leaves, stems removed, loosely packed

Put ricotta, Romano cheese, egg and basil in bowl of food processor and mix well, about one minute. Set aside.

Additional Ingredients
1 24-ounce jar spicy tomato sauce
12 "no-boil" lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Assembly
Lightly coat a 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish with olive oil. Spread 1 cup sauce in pan. Place 6 lasagna noodles over sauce, slightly overlapping. Spread half the ricotta mixture over noodles. Top with 8 eggplant slices. Sprinkle eggplant with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.

Repeat layers. Finish with remaining sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° until bubbling and lightly browned, about 55 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Note: if you use regular lasagna noodles instead of the "no-boil" type, use only 6 noodles, cover the uncooked lasagna with plastic wrap and leave it on the refrigerator overnight to soften the noodles. Bring to room temperature and uncover before baking.

FryBoy

Lots of good veggie pasta dishes!

Linguine alla Caprese

This quickly tossed, fresh tomato sauce can be made ahead and left at room temperature. Just before serving, cook the pasta, then toss it with the sauce.

4 large ripe tomatoes, cored and seeded, cut into ½-inch dice
½ cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
3 scallions, thinly sliced
7 ounces ripe brie (rind removed) or mozzarella, cut in small cubes
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
⅓ cup olive oil
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste
12 ounces linguine or spaghettini

1. Combine everything except pasta in a large serving bowl.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and
cook until al dente, about 11 minutes for linguini.

3. Drain well, add the pasta to the tomato sauce and toss well;
season with salt.

Serves 6.

Lefty

Yank
Jay, great pic, I would love to make that. I think this is a great thread. It has some great potential. Keep them coming. I will try and post my veggie soup soon. :a1:

FryBoy

Don't forget the soup!

PASTA E FAGIOLI
(ITALIAN PASTA & BEAN SOUP)

1 small onion, peeled and chopped fine
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed
1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
10 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne
¼ cup chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
3 15-ounce cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans), undrained
5 cups water
salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon)
freshly ground black pepper to taste (about ½ teaspoon)
4 ounces dried pasta (any shape – elbows, broken spaghetti, shells, etc.)

1. Sauté the onion in the olive oil in a medium-sized soup pot until soft.

2. Add the garlic and sauté until it turns opaque and releases its aroma.

3. Add the tomatoes, basil, and parsley, and cook over moderately high heat until tomatoes begin to break down into sauce.

4. Add the beans with their liquid and the water. (Use some of the water to rinse the cans to get out the last few beans.)

5. Cook over medium heat at least 15 minutes, or until beans begin to break down and soup thickens.

6. Just before serving, add the pasta to the simmering soup and cook until al dente.

7. Serve immediately. Pass grated Parmesan cheese and additional extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling over the soup, if desired.

Makes about 5 quarts (20 cups) of soup.

FryBoy

Another wonderful pasta dish, great when tomatoes are in season.

PASTA WITH RAW TOMATOES & MARJORAM

2 pounds ripe tomatoes
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
fresh pepper & salt to taste
1 pound gemelli, rotini, or other spiral-shaped pasta

Core and seed tomatoes, chop into small pieces(about ½ inch).

Put chopped tomatoes in strainer or colander and allow to drain for about 30 minutes.

In large serving bowl, stir together oil, marjoram, garlic, salt and
pepper. Add drained tomatoes and mix well.

Cook pasta, drain, and add to sauce. Toss and serve immediately.

NOTES:
Do NOT overdo the garlic as it’s raw and quite intense; start with only 2 small or 1 large garlic clove.

This recipe is best served without grated cheese, which tends to
detract from the freshness of the tomatoes.

FryBoy

More lasagna!

SPRINGTIME LASAGNA

4 cups marinara sauce
1½ cups water
½ cup white wine
11 no-boil lasagna noodles
1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
12 oz. fresh baby spinach
1½ pounds fresh button mushrooms, quartered
½ tsp. salt, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons chopped flesh oregano
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup (2 oz.) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup (2 or.) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat; coat pan with ½ Tablespoon olive oil. Add spinach and saute 4 minutes, stirring until wilted. Transfer spinach to a large bowl.

3. Return pan to heat; coat with remaining ½ Tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and ¼ teaspoon salt to pan; saute until all liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more, stirring.

4. Add mushroom mixture, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, oregano, lemon juice, red pepper, ricotta, and egg to spinach in bowl; stir to mix well.

5. Combine sauce, water, and wine; spread 1½ cups of mixture over the bottom of a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish (use pan that’s at least 2 inches deep).

6. Lay 3 noodles in baking dish; spread half of ricotta mixture over noodles; top with 4 noodles, then remaining ricotta; put last 4 noodles on top.

7. Pour remaining sauce mixture over noodles.

8. Bake, uncovered, at 400° until bubbling, about 40 to 50 minutes.

9. Combine Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle evenly over lasagna; bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

Yield: 12 servings.

FryBoy

BUTTER-ROASTED VEGETABLES

4 cups any combination fresh vegetables, cut as desired butternut squash, baby carrots, zucchini, small new red potatoes, onion, whole peeled garlic cloves, mushrooms, green or red peppers, green beans, asparagus)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon garlic salt

1. Heat oven to 400°. Combine all vegetables in 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Add butter, chives, oregano and garlic salt; toss lightly.

2. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are crisply tender and lightly browned.

FryBoy

RISOTTO WITH ASPARAGUS
Risotto alle Asparago

5 cups chicken broth
2½ tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
16 fresh asparagus stalks
2½ tablespoons butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Boiling water as needed

1. Put broth in saucepan and bring to boil; reduce to low simmer.

2. Cut asparagus on diagonal into 1-inch pieces; discard tough ends.

3. Heat olive oil in non-stick Dutch oven over medium heat.

4. Add onion to Dutch oven and saute until golden, about 3 minutes.

5. Add rice to Dutch oven and stir for about 2 minutes until all grains of
rice are well coated with oil.

6. Increase heat to medium-high and add 1 cup of the heated broth,
stirring constantly; when the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, add
another cup of broth and continue stirring; repeat until all broth has
been added.

Note: the rice will need 20 to 22 minutes to cook after it’s been
added to the pot, so turn down heat if the broth is disappearing too
quickly – you want it to be absorbed by the rice, not evaporated by
the heat.

7. After 10 minutes, add the cut-up asparagus; continue stirring and
adding broth until the asparagus is tender and the rice is al dente (firm
to the bite but not hard), about another 10 minutes ; cook a couple of
minutes longer if you like the rice a little softer.

Note: the risotto should be quite soupy at this point; if all the broth
has been absorbed, begin adding hot water as necessary.

8. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and add the butter and
Parmesan, stirring carefully to blend the cheese with the rice without
breaking up the asparagus.

Note: when it’s done, risotto should be creamy, not dry or soupy;
add additional hot water if needed to obtain the proper texture.

9. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired; serve immediately.

FryBoy

PASTA SHELLS WITH ROASTED
VEGETABLES & FETA CHEESE

1 small red pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch dice
1 small yellow pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch dice
1 small green pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch dice
2 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch dice
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch dice, separated into sections
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal
5 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons pine nuts
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound small pasta shells
20 kalamata or other black olives, pitted and cut in half
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup feta cheese, finely diced or crumbled
1 lemon, cut in eight pieces and seeded

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Bring large pot of water to boil.

3. Toss cut-up peppers, tomato, onion, celery, garlic, basil,
oregano, and pine nuts with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in
a large bowl; transfer all to large rimmed baking sheet and
spread out into a single layer; roast for 20 minutes, tossing
occasionally, until the peppers are tender.

4. While vegetables are roasting, cook pasta according to
package directions until al dente (tender but still chewy);
drain thoroughly and return to pot; add roasted vegetables
and remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and toss.

5. Add feta cheese, olives, salt to taste, a generous amount
of freshly ground pepper, and the juice of ¼ to ½ of the
lemon; toss and serve immediately with additional lemon
pieces on the side.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Now that's what i call a good healthy meal High Cheese that plate of food looks absolutely delicious.

bernardpainting

Cauliflower Manchurian

Separate the cauliflower flowers and marinate with pepper, eggwhite, soya sauce, cornflower and little salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes and deep fry.
Cut oniions (2), ginger ( a small piece), capsicum (2 big ones) and garlic ( 6-8) lengthwise. Fry this in oil for sometime. When done add the fried cauliflower. Add some soya sauce and tomato sauce. Add salt if needed. Add some taste maker if available.