Cilantro Rice

Guts

[FONT=&quot]For those of you who don't like cilantro. It has a very distinct flavor and it took me a while to discover that it is the stems in the cilantro that make the bitter taste. So I try to use just only the leaf portion. One other note here. I did use smokehouse almonds instead of plain almonds and I put them in the mini food processor and gave them a good chop before adding the other soft ingredients. One addition might be a little sautéed garlic as sass suggested.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cilantro Rice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 1/2 cups[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]uncooked rice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 1/2 teaspoons[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]whole almonds [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]loosely packed cilantro leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]sliced shallots[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]fresh lime juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]finely sliced scallion rings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instructions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the rice, 2 cups water, and the salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender.

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Place the almonds, cilantro, shallots, lime juice, and oil in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse to combine and roughly chop. Toss the mixture with the hot rice. Garnish with the scallions.[/FONT]

Attachments

• cilantro rice.jpg
    cilantro rice.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 355

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a beautiful dish, Guts!

I love the addition of the green AND the red onions!

Lee

Guts

thank you Lee but those aren't red onions they are shallots, which to me have a much different taste than red onions, although I believe red onions could be used but the recipe calls for shallots, which I think have a very mild and sweet taste to them. I made it again last night, with more cilantro and it had a little deeper green collar, which didn't bother me. But I needed to add some more lime juice and I adjusted that at the end, after it was all mixed up. I really like this style of Rice. It has a very distinct flavor with the cilantro,almonds and lime juice. I think this would be a good alternative to Spanish rice with a Mexican meal.

K

Kimchee

If you can find some galangal, a couple slices of that might be a nice
addition to the rice while cooking.... but remove before serving.
I like cilantro, thanks for the recipe!

Guts

If you can find some galangal, a couple slices of that might be a nice
addition to the rice while cooking.... but remove before serving.
I like cilantro, thanks for the recipe!
thanks Larry. I had to look up galangal I was unfamiliar with that and I don't think I've ever heard of it before. Does it taste like Ginger?
You might wanted give this Rice a try. I think it's very tasty.
Kim

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What a beautiful dish, Guts!

I love the addition of the green AND the red onions!

Lee
I thought it was red and green onion too, thinking that's what Gut's decided to use in the place of shallots and scallions.
I did that, and it turned out just fine and tasted great.
The garlic added some kick IMO.

GotGarlic

thanks Larry. I had to look up galangal I was unfamiliar with that and I don't think I've ever heard of it before. Does it taste like Ginger?
You might wanted give this Rice a try. I think it's very tasty.
Kim

This rice sounds great. I'd like to try it, too, with Mexican or with a Thai curry.

Galangal is similar to ginger. I bought a packaged Thai spice kit online one time - it came with galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and Thai chiles. I put it all in the freezer and it lasted for quite a while. Now I grow lemongrass and chiles and can get the other stuff in our local grocery store.