Polpette di Formaggio

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but oh boy!!
I'd been looking for a different sort of recipe in which to use a tomato sauce.

Think I'm in love lol
:wub:
I'll cut this recipe in half.
======

Translated, it's "cheese balls"--like meatballs, but made with Parmesan and Romano cheeses instead. They're light and spongy. Buon appetito!

4 large eggs
4 large garlic cloves
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
* Tomato Sauce

Beat eggs well. Grate garlic into beaten eggs. Add bread crumbs and mix well. Add cheeses, pepper, baking powder, and parsley. Add a few scrapes of nutmeg and stir well. The mixture should be like biscuit dough, easy to handle.

Form into golfball-sized balls. Flatten to 1-inch patties. Place on a sheet of waxed paper and set aside.

In a medium frypan over high heat, add oil and fry patties until browned, about 3 minutes each side.

In a large saucepan, bring Tomato Sauce to a simmer. Gently add cheese patties. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Patties will rise to the surface like dumplings. Serve with pasta and fresh Italian bread.

Makes 2 dozen polpette.

Tomato Sauce

* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 shallot, thinly sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 1 good-sized scallion, chopped
* 1 red or green pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 small hot pepper
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons oregano
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 1-1/2 cups whole peeled tomatoes, canned in purée
* 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 6 basil leaves
* Fresh parsley, chopped

In a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil and saute shallot, garlic, scallion, and peppers until softened and fragrant. Add black pepper and oregano. Add tomato paste. Cut whole tomatoes into pieces and add them with purée to sauce. Add diced tomatoes. Add broth, basil leaves, and a handful of parsley. Simmer 30 minutes.

Source

Attachments

• image_6513.jpg
    image_6513.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I wasn't really sure where to post this, but oh boy!!
I'd been looking for a different sort of recipe in which to use a tomato sauce.

Think I'm in love lol
:wub:
I'll cut this recipe in half.
======

Translated, it's "cheese balls"--like meatballs, but made with Parmesan and Romano cheeses instead. They're light and spongy. Buon appetito!

4 large eggs
4 large garlic cloves
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
* Tomato Sauce

Beat eggs well. Grate garlic into beaten eggs. Add bread crumbs and mix well. Add cheeses, pepper, baking powder, and parsley. Add a few scrapes of nutmeg and stir well. The mixture should be like biscuit dough, easy to handle.

Form into golfball-sized balls. Flatten to 1-inch patties. Place on a sheet of waxed paper and set aside.

In a medium frypan over high heat, add oil and fry patties until browned, about 3 minutes each side.

In a large saucepan, bring Tomato Sauce to a simmer. Gently add cheese patties. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Patties will rise to the surface like dumplings. Serve with pasta and fresh Italian bread.

Makes 2 dozen polpette.

Tomato Sauce

* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 shallot, thinly sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 1 good-sized scallion, chopped
* 1 red or green pepper, thinly sliced
* 1 small hot pepper
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons oregano
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 1-1/2 cups whole peeled tomatoes, canned in purée
* 1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 6 basil leaves
* Fresh parsley, chopped

In a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil and saute shallot, garlic, scallion, and peppers until softened and fragrant. Add black pepper and oregano. Add tomato paste. Cut whole tomatoes into pieces and add them with purée to sauce. Add diced tomatoes. Add broth, basil leaves, and a handful of parsley. Simmer 30 minutes.

Source

OMG, this is phenomenal!! What a great idea - you did an excellent job!! :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, this looks unbelievable, Sass! Is is served over pasta or as is?

I'm a meat-eater, but I don't think I'd miss it with this dish!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
very neat, sass. polpette (pol-pet-tay) are usually some kind of a meataball, so i thought this might be cheese stuffed meatballs. but i see it's more like a cheesey matzoh ball.

i'm definitely going to try this one. thanks!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
RM, Sass posted "Source" right above her photo. The recipe is from Yankee Magazine.

My mouth is watering, just looking at the picture again!

Lee
Thanks Lee :)
I suppose I should have made more reference to the source, as it was missed by RM.
Sorry about that. In any case, yes I do have some (no, tons) of tomato sauce just waiting to be used for this and a lot of other recipes.

Ya welcome Buckmeister, let me know how you liked it.

When the cold weather sets in, I am going to try it fo sho!

My friend gave me a recipe for this years ago ( very similar to the above). It was easy to make and very very good. When we brought it to my moms as a ' pot luck' kinda dinner, they went in seconds. Being vegetarians, people are always skeptical about the things we eat or bring for others to eat. But I guess because they kinda looked like chicken cutlets, had a good texture, and made from ingredients that are recognizable, they felt comfortable eating them up. Ill use them in place of a chicken cutlet or meatball, either as a side for spaghetti, on a hero bread with sauce or even as a baked parmesan dish. Its one of those recipes that you cant believe taste so good, considering it is relatively simple to make with basic ingredients that you usually have on hand ( or at least I do). The recipe I used the texture was a little more firm than described here, but I will definitely try this recipe to get another variation of a wonderful dish.