Stop pasta from boiling over

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is probably common knowledge to most regulars, but I’ve seen some confusion about this elsewhere, so I figured I’d post it here as an interesting factoid of sorts.

When using a rolling boil in an open pot to cook pasta (or other starchy foods like rice), the water can boil over. You can stop this from happening by adding a splash of oil to the pot.

Many instinctively do this because “they have always seen it done that way” , but a lot of people believe they are adding the oil to coat the pasta (spaghetti for instance) to keep it from sticking together. Not true. Very little if any of the oil actually gets on the pasta.

Instead, the oil breaks the surface tension of the water which disallows a starch “bubble” to form. Basically, the oil swirls around and “pops” the starch bubble before it can form.

Maybe we need a "Techniques" forum somewhere for more tips?

chowhound

Or potatoes?
I've heard of adding oil to pasta, but I believe more for the reasons you've given (and I've heard the same thing other places). I did not know it prevented boil overs. Interesting and good tip.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yep, it would work with potatoes as well. I use this trick on rice all the time and it does wonders! Haven't had a rice boil over in years!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting though I've never had a problem with boil overs since I just use a bigger pan in most cases. For example my pasta pot shown below.

Attachments

• All-Clad Stainless-Steel Pasta Pentola.jpg
    All-Clad Stainless-Steel Pasta Pentola.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Or potatoes?
I've heard of adding oil to pasta, but I believe more for the reasons you've given (and I've heard the same thing other places). I did not know it prevented boil overs. Interesting and good tip.

Ditto, all of the above.

Thanks, Keltin!

Lee

chowhound

Interesting though I've never had a problem with boil overs since I just use a bigger pan in most cases. For example my pasta pot shown below.

I've had boil overs in a pot/collander insert very similar to the one shown while cooking spaghetti. The one I have has a glass lid with a small vent hole.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've just never had a problem with it nor do I use oil, however I believe what was said by all means. I also have 3 of these type pots the one shown is 7qt All Clad, 8qt Wolfgang Puck, and a 12qt Invitation brand. I think though it has a lot to do with the fact when I'm cooking I am in the kitchen unlike for example my wife who will wonder off. :oops:

FryBoy

In my experience, adding oil to pasta water results in limp, oily pasta that won't absorb the sauce very well. Better to use a larger pot to prevent boil-overs, IMHO.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I add a pretty good amount of salt once the water comes to a roll boil. I then let it come back to a roll boil again before adding the pasta. As soon as the pasta drains good I add a bit of salt to it as pasta really doesn't absorb much salt. I've tried it with and without oil over the years and just came to the conclusion it was a waste of good oil as it seemed to simply puddle on top of the water.

CharlieD

Speaking of "Techniques". If you add oil to potato, potato will cook faster. As far as pasta goes, I also like to use the bigest pot posible for the situation.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
BTW – Speaking of adding salt to water. That changes the chemical makeup of the water and raises the boiling temp past 212F. Just a little factoid for ya’! :wink:

Actually adding nearly any soluble element to the water (i.e. sugar) will change the water’s properties thus increasing the boiling temp.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
One other thing about water from Chemistry class. Distilled (untainted) water is NOT conductive. It will not conduct electricity and shock you. The only way water can conduct electricity is via suspended elements within said water…..primarily sodium.

Is there a geek emoticon????? :whistling:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is also interesting and I always scoffed at the boxes that say two tablespoons of salt in the water. I add at least a good hand full to mine. Now I'm not a fan of over salted food but I have eaten pasta in a lot of different places and only in Italy it self did I taste pasta that to me had the correct salt content. When I asked about it I was told to add at least a 1/4 cup of salt to the water. Oh I might also add they didn't add oil to the water. I will also say when the water comes to a roll boil adding salt stops it so I believe you are correct and it takes a bit more time for it to come back to a roll boil hence I don't add the salt till the first boil then the pasta on the second.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
In my experience, adding oil to pasta water results in limp, oily pasta that won't absorb the sauce very well. Better to use a larger pot to prevent boil-overs, IMHO.

Odd. I've never had any oil at all adhere to my pasta in all these years. It simply drains away with the rest of the water. Since water and oil don't mix, and the pasta is hot and wet, I don't see how any oil could adhere to it unless you dried it first and then tossed it with oil.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Same here it usually just puddles on the top, similar to how the lava lamps used to work.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh I might also add they didn't add oil to the water. I will also say when the water comes to a roll boil adding salt stops it so I believe you are correct and it takes a bit more time for it to come back to a roll boil hence I don't add the salt till the first boil then the pasta on the second.

Absolutely. That is exactly it. Adding water after a boil increases water’s capacity for energy storage. It was at 212, but you add salt and now it must raise the temp to the new threshold that the salt has increased it to.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Same here it usually just puddles on the top, similar to how the lava lamps used to work.

Yep, which is where it does its work by breaking the surface tension of the water and disallowing the underlying starch bubble.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Now I'm not a fan of over salted food but I have eaten pasta in a lot of different places and only in Italy it self did I taste pasta that to me had the correct salt content. When I asked about it I was told to add at least a 1/4 cup of salt to the water. Oh I might also add they didn't add oil to the water.

A 1/4 cup???? Wow. But hey, I'm gonna try it! Did they say how much water they were using?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
In my case I don't measure I just through in what I can hold in my palm to about 6 to 6.5 qts of water. I use the 7qt All Clad for doing pasta 90% or the time. In the two larger pots I use about the same. It really doesn't add much saltness to the pasta which is why I add a little salt after it has been removed and drained unless it goes straight into the sauce which then adds the necessary taste. I eat my pasta more often than not with simply butter, olive oil/garlic and a bit of pepper so it need a bit of salt though again not over doing it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent. Thanks! I've never used that much salt, but I'm gonna try it. And pasta with butter and olive oil is awesome! :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My favorite way but then I was raised by an Italian grandfather and Hungarian grandmother who in my opinion was the best cook on the planet bar none.

High Cheese

Saucier
I always leave the lid off for pasta, but I'll definately try it with rice. I usually add a pat of butter, but I'll try oil next time.

Thanks.

Calicolady

I never had a sticking together or boil over problem and I don't add oil. I think pasta only sticks together when you are not giving the pasta enough room to move around and boils over if the pot is too full.
I always add plenty of salt=like sea water, is the old family way I was taught.

Keltin, is this a geek smiley?
happy123.gif

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I just pay attention to the pot! :bonk:

I cook pasta for 8 minutes, stirring it every couple minutes. Once the pasta is on the boil I have sauce, salad, bread, etc. to look after, so I don't have time to leave the kitchen...