Keltin's Stuffed Cabbage

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Another recipe good for two, but could do four with plenty of sides. Double it if you need more!

Keltin’s Stuffed Cabbage

Ingredients

3 cups favorite red sauce (or one 24.5 oz can/jar)
1 fresh head of cabbage
8 strips bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bell pepper, chopped
4 oz sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 lb ground meat
1.5 cups cooked rice

Procedure

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Take your cabbage and peel off 5-6 large leaves. Do your best to keep them in tact with no tears or breaks. It helps to make a cut through the large white “vein” at the base/core, and then peel up from that cut to release the leaf. Set your leaves aside for now.

In a large non-stick skillet, cook 8 strips of bacon. Set the bacon aside on paper towels to drain, and reserve 1 tbsp of the grease.

In a fresh skillet over medium heat, add the bacon grease, onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cover, and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until everything is soft.

Put the veggies into a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet, brown the ground beef along with the garlic. Once browned, drain, and set aside.

Start a large pot of salted water to boil. Once boiling, add the cabbage leaves you pulled off earlier. Cover the pot and allow to cook undisturbed for 5 minutes at a rolling boil, then kill the heat and let them sit in that hot liquid to soften further.

In a large bowl, add the ground meat, veggies, rice, and vinegar. Now chop up the bacon and add it as well. It’s easiest to use kitchen shears here and just snip the bacon into the bowl. Now, stir well to incorporate. This is your stuffing, and the wine vinegar adds a very nice little twang to it.

Once the cabbage leaves are soft, place one on a cutting board or other suitable surface. Now add 2-3 tablespoons of the “stuffing”. Once filled, roll the leaf up and place seam side down in a greased baking dish.

Don’t get too heavy on the filling and overfill….a little goes a long way, especially when you are trying to roll and seal these little packages. Start small (1 to 2 tablespoons) and work your way up If needed. Going big and heavy up-front will cause the leaf to burst, so go small as you try this.

Continue this procedure with the remaining leaves until all have been stuffed. If you have left over stuffing, sprinkle it about the stuffed leaves in the baking pan.

Now pour the red sauce over all stuffed leaves and then bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until bubbling hot.

Set your leaves aside.
Step_07-1.jpg

Start cooking the bacon.
Step_01-1.jpg

In the bacon fat, cook the onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms.
Step_02-1.jpg

Brown the ground beef with garlic.
Step_03-1.jpg

The bacon is sitting on the side and ready!
Step_04-1.jpg

Did I mention the bacon yet?
Step_05-1.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Build your stuffing with all of the cooked ingredients. You’ll be adding the BACON to this part!
Step_06-1.jpg

Stuff your cabbage leaves.
Step_08-1.jpg

Roll that stuffed leaf and leave the seam side down.
Step_09-1.jpg

Fill your baking dish with the stuffed leaves and any left-over stuffing.
Step_09a.jpg

Step_09b.jpg

Cover in sauce and bake until bubbling hot!
Step_09c.jpg

Plate it.
Step_09d.jpg

Dive in.
Step_09e.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Holy Shit.
This blows my plans for cabbage rolls this weekend..:yum:

Thanks Keltin... booooooooyahhhhh!!

Lefty

Yank
Very nice recipe with a good tutorial. Excellent job K. I will be trying this as soon as I can convince Ms. Lefty it is a good idea.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful, K!

You are an honorary Polack! ;-)

Lee

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Whty can't everyone enter it if they want - there are many variations.

That looks delish Keltin, might give that a go soon.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
By red sauce, do you mean tomato sauce? Anyone...

I can't speak for Keltin, but we use tomato sauce on ours. I think he was leaving the door open for variations like Marinara sauce, spaghetti sauce, maybe a Mexican style red sauce.
Heck, I have even heard of one person that used a red clam sauce on his!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
that looks great, keltin .. yours too Joe ...
i wish my wife would eat that kind of thing ...
My wife does not eat everything I cook, but that does not stop me from making and enjoying it. I have a number of single (widowed) friends that enjoy my care packages of ethnic cooking. I think with a little thought, you might come up with a few people who would enjoy a care package from you, and you could still enjoy different dishes. Also, I make up small freezer packs of things like stuffed cabbages for my dinner, and DW has something different. She makes some dishes that she really enjoys, but I could care less if she ever made it again, and she does the same with small meal packaging. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Ditto here, sometimes I make one thing for the wife and another for me and the kids. This is especially true for pizza and burgers made at home. Then again there are times she wants some Korean or an ethnic veggie dish that I didn't like, so again we just plan for it and make two suppers.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My wife does not eat everything I cook, but that does not stop me from making and enjoying it. I have a number of single (widowed) friends that enjoy my care packages of ethnic cooking. I think with a little thought, you might come up with a few people who would enjoy a care package from you, and you could still enjoy different dishes. Also, I make up small freezer packs of things like stuffed cabbages for my dinner, and DW has something different. She makes some dishes that she really enjoys, but I could care less if she ever made it again, and she does the same with small meal packaging. Where there's a will, there's a way.
i have been with my hub since 1982 and i have only found 1 thing i make that he won't eat. i guess i am lucky.