What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shermie

Site Supporter
This morning it's mocha brownies.
Unfortunately, they still don't have that shiny cracked crust.
After beating the butter, sugar and eggs together awhile, I looked up and saw cows headed my way so added the rest of the ingredients, but still no shiny cracked top.
Cut the sugar back a little but that was a mistake.
Added a bit more butter but now they're greasy.
I tried 3/4 teaspoons of Folger's instant coffee but should have added a full teaspoon.
They are a little too cakey as well.
I have the worst oven on the planet and they are a little over baked, too.
Not bad, but it is back to the drawing board with this recipe.

Notice how much air I beat into the batter in the first pic. That's straight out of the oven and still hot.

It still looks good anyway, buddy!!! :cooking:

Attachments

• Brownies.jpg
    Brownies.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 195

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This was my first try at Kaiser Rolls. I think I got the “knot” right. They smell fantastic and I can’t wait to try them.

Sesame Kaiser Rolls

sesame_kaiser_rolls_030813_P1090808.JPG

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Those are just beautiful Peepers! Would you share the recipe? I've been wanting to try making those. DH has to take the KA apart this weekend and tighten the screw that holds the head steady....it started wobbling. It happened a month or so ago and he took it apart and tightened the screw but I made a few batches of bread since then and it came loose again. I guess he needs to put some locktite on it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Those are just beautiful Peepers! Would you share the recipe? I've been wanting to try making those. DH has to take the KA apart this weekend and tighten the screw that holds the head steady....it started wobbling. It happened a month or so ago and he took it apart and tightened the screw but I made a few batches of bread since then and it came loose again. I guess he needs to put some locktite on it.
Thank you Mama. I got the recipe from King Arthur http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/kaiser-rolls-recipe and the How to form them from this site http://www.preparedpantry.com/How-to-Make-Kaiser-Rolls.htm

I used the bread machine to make the dough. They weren't as airy as I would like them but the family loved them. Maybe a bit more water and some vital wheat gluten might help? What do you think?

And next time I won't do the steamy oven.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'd try adding some vital wheat gluten or maybe increase the yeast by 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon more.

Maybe even a longer rise. Did the dough double in size when the cycle was done? You can check it by making an indentation in the dough with your knuckle. If the indentation stays, the dough is done rising. If it bounces back, let it rise a little longer.

You'll probably have to play with the recipe a little to get it the way you want it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'd try adding some vital wheat gluten or maybe increase the yeast by 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon more.

Maybe even a longer rise. Did the dough double in size when the cycle was done? You can check it by making an indentation in the dough with your knuckle. If the indentation stays, the dough is done rising. If it bounces back, let it rise a little longer.

You'll probably have to play with the recipe a little to get it the way you want it.
Thanks Mama. Yes the dough filled the bread machine pan at the end of the dough cycle. I will try more yeast next time.

I have dough going in the bread maker to make a batch of cinnamon, raisin, nut rolls.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
In honor of Pi Day (3.14), I thought I'd make a peach pie!

Attachments

• peachpie.jpg
    peachpie.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 210
  • peach-pie.jpg
    peach-pie.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 183

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mini cinnamon rolls for Easter Brunch fresh out of the oven!

Attachments

• minicinnamonrolls.jpg
    minicinnamonrolls.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 137

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
After I rolled it out into a rectangle, buttered it and put the cinnamon sugar on, I cut the dough into 4 sections going longwise, cutting from the narrow end to the narrow end if that makes sense :lol:, rolled each section up, cut and put them on a greased sheet pan.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Going to DD's for dinner tomorrow night. DH can't come so I made a Strawberry Pie to take for dessert and made DH a mixed berry cobbler. I think everyone will be happy :chef: Gonna bake some Italian bread tomorrow to take along. Her oven is out so she asked me to make a chocolate chip cookie cake for a friend in her Bible study class Thursday so I'll make that tomorrow too.

Attachments

• strawberrypie04092013.jpg
    strawberrypie04092013.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 117
  • mixedberrycobbler.jpg
    mixedberrycobbler.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 128

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Everything looks so unbelievably good, you guys!

Mama, have you posted the recipe for the chocolate chip cookie cake? If not, would you puh-LEEZE????

Thanks!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Lee! This is my first time making a chocolate chip cookie cake so as soon as I know that it turned out right, I'll post the recipe :lol:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
take a seat, guys. i'm baking. please avoid fainting.

i found cupcake liners w/ the Pens on 'em. blake is a hockey fanatic. so i tossed those, a few cake ingredients & a can of frosting into my buggy. then i saw a blue stir-in fer the frosting. (that new powder that changes plain icing into a different flavor/color.) i think it's cotton candy flavored :doh:- think i'll use a miniscule pastry tip to selectively decorate over the plain vanilla layer.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Baked bread for the weekend! 2 loaves of Italian Bread, 16 hamburger buns and 8 hot dog buns. I tried a new bun recipe. I hope they taste good. They're sooooo light.

BTW, I forgot all about that chocolate chip cookie cake recipe. I'll make a note to get it posted this coming week. Sorry about that Lee :oops:

Attachments

• bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 208

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We have a priest friend who is moving to an assisted living home on Monday, so there is a reception for him after the 11:00 mass this morning. Me and DW & DD#2 made mini cupcakes yesterday for the reception. I bought two of the 24 position pans on Friday just for this event, because I didn't think people wanted regular size cupcakes while they graze the dessert tables. Worked out good, and we got 90 mini cupcakes from one box mix. Since only 70 fit on the tray, We were forced to consume the leftovers.

I've got sandwich thins and a loaf of Italian bread on final rise to restock the freezer. Going to be a busy work week so I needed to get the bread done today.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Baked bread for the weekend! 2 loaves of Italian Bread, 16 hamburger buns and 8 hot dog buns. I tried a new bun recipe. I hope they taste good. They're sooooo light.

BTW, I forgot all about that chocolate chip cookie cake recipe. I'll make a note to get it posted this coming week. Sorry about that Lee :oops:

Here ya go....I figured I better get it posted before the CRS set in again.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23314 :lol:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, I love the idea of bite-sized cupcakes! That's all I want anyway, just one bite.

Mama, the pudding is beautiful! What's it doing outside????

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

OK Mama I NEED that new bun recipe.

BTW your buns look wonderful!! :whistling:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This is the recipe I used Peepers:

Light Brioche Burger Buns
Recipe from the New York Times via Comme Ca restaurant in Los Angeles
Makes 8 4-inch to 5-inch burger buns

1 cup warm water3 tablespoons warm milk
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Black and white sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a glass measuring cup, combine one cup warm water, the milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about five minutes. Meanwhile, beat one egg.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flours with salt. Add butter and rub into flour between your fingers, making crumbs. Using a dough scraper, stir in yeast mixture and beaten egg until a dough forms. Scrape dough onto clean, well-floured counter and knead, scooping dough up, slapping it on counter and turning it, until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. (You may also use a stand mixer for this, eliminating the need for a bench scraper – but bread from hand always tastes and feels better than bread from machine) You want the dough to remain slightly tacky, as the more flour you add, the tougher they will be when baked.
3. Shape dough into a ball and return it to bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using dough scraper, divide dough into 8 equal parts. Gently roll each into a ball and arrange two to three inches apart on baking sheet. Cover loosely with a piece of plastic wrap lightly coated in nonstick spray and let buns rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.
5. Set a large shallow pan of water on oven floor. Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in center. Beat remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush some on top of buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds ( I used both sesame and poppy seeds), if using. Bake, turning sheet halfway through baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
I doubled the recipe and tried using my stand mixer and ended up having to use quite a bit more AP flour because it was extremely sticky. I need to try making it by hand. They were very light. Not dense at all. They were a little dry but I'm sure that's because I had to add more flour. I liked the taste and the fact that they were nice and light. I'll definitely be making them again. I'll repost the recipe in the bread forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.