your food "ARCH NEMESIS"

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
when it comes to food, what do you not like making or cannot make?

i have a few...

pie crust... have tried for years, my hands are warm and usually i work the dough to much.. My female relatives have all tried to help me but alas, its to the store for a frozen pie crust..lol

coffee, yes i said coffee..lol

i cannot make the same pot of coffee twice. i could measure out the same amount of coffee & water and it never tastes the same.. Mrs.Bam is my coffee maker, she cant stand coffee but always make the best coffee..

pancakes...yes pancakes... lets just say they dont like me and i dont like making them..lol

a few of them have been thrown around in the kitchen..lol

lilylove

If it has YEAST in it... can't/won't touch it!!

I mix up cookie dough but let Paulie do the baking... I tend to over/under bake EVERY single time!

Y

YT2095

lol, I`m the opposite of the above, I use yeast in pastry/cake type things because it never rises if I don`t.

PanchoHambre

Rice... I suck at rice... (except risotto) rice cooker helps alot

I am intimidated by custard and baking but plan to work on this

I definitely needs to work on making gravy... sometimes success sometimes disaster

bowlingshirt

Fried eggs. I always break yolks, of leave the white part around the yolk too runny, or something. I always let the wife do these instead.

Lefty

Yank
I am not good at any dough. Though I gave up pretty quickly. I tried it 3-4 times and after thre failures and a big mess to clean up I said fork this. :glare:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Rice... I suck at rice... (except risotto) rice cooker helps alot

I am intimidated by custard and baking but plan to work on this

I definitely needs to work on making gravy... sometimes success sometimes disaster

i can help on the rice cooking...

heres how i do it for stove top...
i pyrex glass pot..

u-pot-glass.jpg

follow water,rice mixture on bag.. put all ingredients in pot, bring to a boil..boil for 10 minutes. turn off pot...let it sit and dont open it..gives me good rice everytime

gravy.. i use to make it with flour but had mixed success...now i either use a roux (which works the best for me) or cornstarch(not as much needed as with flour and doesnt have that "raw" flavor)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Gee, I will be happy to try to teach any of you how to bake. I will answer your questions if I can. Just know that I am an experienced amateur and not a pastry chef. Although I had catered desserts a long time ago and taught some classes like JoeV.

I don't like cleaning mussels and clams and the like nor do I like cleaning sweetbreads. I also can't kill lobsters. I will boil and clean shrimp. So, these kinds of dishes I tend to eat in restaurants.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Fried eggs. I always break yolks, of leave the white part around the yolk too runny, or something. I always let the wife do these instead.

easiest way is to use the plate method...when you are ready to flip the eggs, slide them gently out onto a plate, put your frying pan on top of plate and "flip" over gently, put frying pan back onto stove, finish cooking eggs to desire doneness

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Baking is the pits for me though my wife doesn't mind at all which is a good thing.

jkath

Bam, I have a seriously no-fail flapjack recipe. I'll try to get it to you today.

I have issues with cheesecake. I bake nearly everything, but cheesecake is the one I can't get right, timing-wise. Fortunately, I now just make cheesecake pie, which gives me the taste without the concerns.

As for the warm hands, Alton Brown's chocolate show was on last week, and while making truffles, he commented that he has very warm hands, which deter from his ability to form good candies - his solution: he wears disposable gloves (the powder-free kind).

PanchoHambre

i can help on the rice cooking...

heres how i do it for stove top...
i pyrex glass pot..

follow water,rice mixture on bag.. put all ingredients in pot, bring to a boil..boil for 10 minutes. turn off pot...let it sit and dont open it..gives me good rice everytime

gravy.. i use to make it with flour but had mixed success...now i either use a roux (which works the best for me) or cornstarch(not as much needed as with flour and doesnt have that "raw" flavor)

thanks for the tips

On rice.. I the problem is it usally gets ignored because I am trying to do other things... this is why the rice cooker helps... otherwise I turn around and o chit... its boiling over stuck to the pot etc.

I have been working with the Roux thing... Gravy is just not natural for me yet and sometimes I screw it up... I never liked meat gravy at all until I started making my own.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I don't really have a nemesis with cooking or baking. I have learned to follow recipes (at least the first time) and take my time. As far as yeast goes, well, I guess you could say "yeast" is my mistress, and my DW allows me this love affair.

Now, for you pizza dough cowards, just go to my website and print out the PDF for my No Knead Pizza Dough and give it a try. You can actually make it one to two days ahead, and it still comes out the same. This recipe comes from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, which Pie Susan has posted links to in the recent past. I have "enhanced" the recipe to my liking so it's not exactly like their recipe. Virtually anyone can make excellent pizza dough with very little effort using this method.

There, now you yeast cowards don't have a leg to stand on.:wink:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Bam - I will send you a pie cruust recipe for you to try when I get home. I can't post it, I'll tell you why in the PM.

It worked first time out of the box.

From my mom, I believe that the secret is not so much the cold hands thing, I have warm hands too. It is in not working the dough any mone than absolutely necessary.

My nemesis - fried eggs - Often screw em up.

Also julianne by hand, had to do it with carrots last night - What a buller.

AC

AllenOK

I can bake, sort of. I just don't have as much of a passion for it as I do cooking.

Otherwise, I'm can't remember if I'm "deficient" in any aspect of cooking. Culinary School does that for a person.

That said, experience plays a big part of well. Little things that you can only learn in the "School of Hard Knocks". For instance:

Flipping eggs without breaking the yolks. Try to learn how to "spin" the egg(s) in the pan while it's cooking. I usually cook two eggs at a time. I try to make sure that the yolks are close together (easy to do by tipping the pan). Once the egg starts to congeal and hold together, "spin" the mass until the egg yolks are at the point where the handle joins the pan. Once the egg has cooked to where you want it, and it's time to flip, then carefully flip the eggs. What will happen is that the farthest part of the egg (away from the handle) launches up and backwards towards the handle. This part of the egg "slaps" the pan. The part closest to the handles gets dragged forwards, away from the handle, while the flipping action torques the mass over onto the uncooked side. Think of it like using a socket wrench to apply torque to a nut. The edge that you're flipping torques the rest of the egg and flips it. Since that yolk doesn't "slap" the pan, but gets torqued and rolled, it shouldn't break. At least, that's the theory. Lots of practice needed.

If you have the bad luck to have the yolks on the furthest edge, away from the handle, you'll break the yolks every time, as they slap the pan when flipped.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I can't do finicky things and stuff that needs a really fine hand. I never liked do pastry, but had to as part of the lessons I teach. My pastry is much better.

I lack confidence cooking fish and seafood. I would really like to develop this but no one else in the fam,ily wants to, so its going on hold.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Curry sauce. That is one egg I have yet to crack. My favorite Indian restaurant makes a lamb with a creamy curry sauce that I've tried for years to replicate with no success...

Calicolady

I love deep fried food, but won't cook it. Calamari and oysters, donuts 3 of my favs, yum!
Frying stinks up the house for a day or 2 even with exhaust fan and makes me gag.
So I save that for eating out.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Get yourself a deep fryer and you won't have that problem any more. I have a fairly cheap one I got at WalMart about 5 years ago now and love it. It is a wide one but they also make them with single baskets or in my case sell a single basket as wide as the double. I stopped frying in pans due to the problem with the odors permeating the house also. Oh and mine is a Presto brand.

Attachments

• Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 155

Love2"Q"

i can not make eggs over easy to save my life ..
and omelets .. if i want one i have to ask the wife to make them ..
shudder ..

homecook

Mine "used" to be yeast bread. Not anymore.....once I tried it by myself I haven't stopped!

Pancakes are another one for me....they only come out good if I make Aunt Jemima Complete. lol Although JoeV gave me some starter that I haven't used to try with pancakes yet.

Barb

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
For the record, I practiced and practiced until I could do an egg over-easy every time it was requested without fail.... that being said... jee thanks for the plate tip 12 years too late!!!!!!!!

Fried Chicken, and any dough you have to roll out like pizza or pie crusts.... grrr!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter