Any golfers besides JoeC and me?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've been addicted to golf since age 12 and now in retirement play 3-4 times a week year round. I should be getting better at the game with all the practice but the aging process is a great leveler.

One of my fun golf by products is being a volunteer at two local PGA events, the Greg Norman Shark Shootout and the Ace Classic Champions Tour event. I'm a course marshal at the Shootout and work both the 9th and 18th tee boxes. No one really knows how well the pros can hit the ball unless you're up close and every year I get my humbling share of amazement of just how superior these pros are. As they said in last year's ads, "These guys are good."

Starting tomorrow is the Ace Classic, a seniors event, and this will mark my third year as a Standard Bearer. You know, they guy out there inside the ropes carrying the sign with that particular group's scores. Each day I am exposed to three players' style of golf as well as their personalities. What an amazing group of people they are. With the exception of a few A-holes who will go unmentioned most are quite congenial and fully aware of the good life that the game has afforded them. At the end of the round in the scoring tent, they usually autograph a ball and send it my way. My collection grows....

If you happen to catch it on TV Fri-Sun you might see me. I'll be the one with the huge smile on my face. :biggrin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You know Buzz I haven't play a single round of golf in the last 5 years (since I moved to Kentucky). I have 3 courses with in a few minutes of me too. I probably couldn't break 90 anymore so it might be fun again. When I started shooting 70's every round the game just stopped being as much fun as when I started shotting in the 100's. Now my secret was to play 7 days a week (weather permitting) for 5 solid years and have a good pro to help you with your game. It took me 3 years to get to single digit handicaps and I was scratch on my home course and a 2 handicap when on a new course. I do miss the pro am's as I would play 2 or 3 per year.

buckytom

Grill Master
a wise man once said that the definition of golfing is a nice walk in a park, spoiled by a little white ball.

my uncles got me in to it when i was about 12 or 13. they'd take me to chip and putt courses near our home, and each gave me one of their old irons (usually 8 or 9) and putters.

one hot summer day, i had nothing to do and my mom was ragging at me to cut the lawn. i put two and two together, and decided to turn our lawn into a chip and putt course.

i cut he entire lawn, then lowered the blade as much as i could and cut a few small circles around the yard, creating "greens". i dug a hole in the center, and put in old terra cotta pots and a stick with a flag. i made my own 5 hole course.

when my dad came home from work that night he freaked out and sent me to bed early.

within a day or two, my greens turned brown, and the dozens of divots became polka dotted dead spots in the grass. :whistling:
dad had to reseed practically the entire lawn, and forbade me from ever playing golf again.

thus ended my interest in the sport. :glare:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have been golf-free for 15 years, and can't see myself going back...not as long as I can fly fish.

High Cheese

Saucier
I was into it for a few years. I got a hand me down set of Titleists from my uncle. I'm not an expert, but you don't have to wait for me. lol Now that I'm back into the bikes I haven't picked up a club. A few friends and I try to attend our yearly get together though.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I feel like I'm being made fun of. :neutral:

I take golf seriously.

get-attachment.aspx

buckytom

Grill Master
jeeks, when i was in high school, i had a summer job as a bus boy at a country club. at the end of summer party, most of the kitchen staff were told to pack up, that we were all being let go and replaced.

so, instead of cleaning up, when all of the rich folks were gone, we took out a bunch of golf carts and went ripping around the course. some kids on dirtbikes joined us, and we had a good time.

it ended when someone drove a cart into the pool, and then the police showed up.

lol, the fired workers all scurried away, disappearing into the back of the main building, exiting out the front to our cars. the police stopped us, but saw that we were the "staff", not knowing that we had just been fired, and summarily ended up arresting the kids on dirt bikes.

:whistling:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I golf when I can't boat. Normally it's an excuse for me and some buddies to get together and tip a few brews and catch up with whats going on in our lifes. We used to work together but now only see each other on the golf course.
I've never been a single digit handicap.....but then again I hit from the wrong side of the ball according to the guys I play with.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes my wife is a lefty also but when I taught her to play I showed her the right way. She is a natural blond so it came naturally too her. :wub:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I"m semi ambidextrous .... I owned right handed clubs at one point and played a whole season from the right side. Just did not feel natural to me. I can smash a drive further from the left side ...and it feels better so I stuck with lefty. I only golf with rightys so when I see a lefty on the course it looks weird even to me. :hide:

AllenOK

I've worked in Country clubs for about 10 years now. When I lived in Michigan, there were 31 golf courses in THAT ONE COUNTY.

That said, honestly, I do not see the sport in chasing a little white ball over half a square mile.

Of course, I say that, but then, I dropped about 2 grand into expensive electronics and accessory gear to go dig pennies out of parks.

Now, I'm dropping money into fishing gear. I'm probably going to get a boat here soon.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The first time I played golf was when my uncle set it up with all his nephews. We had plenty of beers and one heck of a time getting thru the course as most of us were tipsy and had never played before.
I kinda liked it, so I bought a cheap set of clubs and every so often when I can get away from the family I got a free driving range and practice. We also have public and cheap course near us but still haven't gone there yet.