Mongolian Beef Ramen

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was easy and delicious!

I added a package of sliced fresh mushrooms along with the broccoli. I used 2 pinches of red pepper flakes - coulda used more.

Lee

Mongolian Beef Ramen http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51085/mongolian-beef-ramen-recipe/

Ingredients
· 1 lb. any kind of beef steak, sliced against the grain
· 2 tbsp. corn starch
· 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
· 1 tbsp. sesame oil
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 tsp. minced ginger
· 1/2 c. soy sauce
· 1/4 c. brown sugar
· 1 c. chicken broth
· pinch red pepper flakes
· 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
· 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
· 3 package instant ramen, flavor pack discarded
· 3 green onions, thinly sliced
· Toasted sesame seeds

Directions
1. Cook ramen noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Toss beef with corn starch. Cook until crispy, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add sesame oil to skillet and stir in garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, 1 minute then add soy sauce, brown sugar and chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add broccoli and carrots then cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Return beef to skillet and stir until completely coated in sauce. Stir in cooked ramen noodles and green onions. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Mongolian beef 1.jpg
Mongolian beef 2.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump for SilverSage. I loved this! In fact, I think I'll make it again soon.

Kathy, I don't recall this being too salty, but I'm a salt fan. If you use low sodium soy sauce and low sodium chicken broth, you might even have to ADD salt! :giggle:

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did just make this again, but subbed stringless snap peas (WHAT a great variety they are!) for the broccoli because Dad doesn't like broccili. Got a
1 lb. sirloin steak on sale.

Fantastic meal!

Lee

monglian beef.JPG

monglian beef, plated.JPG

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I swear I see mushrooms in the original pic but nothing in recipe about them.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I got stuff to make this but ended up getting frozen edemame because I didn't want to use broccoli and Winn Dixie didn't have any snow pea pods which I was going to substitute and I didn't want to go to Publix for just 1 thing. Was going to use rib eye since that was on sale but the New York strips were way better marbled and were also on sale so bought a package with a couple of small steaks.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got stuff to make this but ended up getting frozen edemame because I didn't want to use broccoli and Winn Dixie didn't have any snow pea pods which I was going to substitute and I didn't want to go to Publix for just 1 thing. Was going to use rib eye since that was on sale but the New York strips were way better marbled and were also on sale so bought a package with a couple of small steaks.

Karen, the edamame is shelled, I gather? Love that idea!

I'll never buy low sodium soy sauce again! I had to add salt on mine at the table!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Karen, the edamame is shelled, I gather? Love that idea!

I'll never buy low sodium soy sauce again! I had to add salt on mine at the table!

Lee
Haven't opened the package yet so don't know if it's shelled or not but I will if it's not. I hope it is though.

I just had edemame for the first time recently and really liked it. Craig's never had it and is leary of it because they kind of look like lima beans which he hates.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Finally made it. I would use a little less soy sauce, and I used light, and wouldn't salt the ramen water as it was just a tiny bit salty for me, but otherwise we really liked it. Oh, I usedx2 hefty pinches of red pepper flakes and really didn't notice any heat.
20211003_174043.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks great, Karen! How many packs of ramen did you use?

Have you ever had edamame in their pods? That's my favorite way to have it, as a side dish. You steam them, salt and butter them, and eat them as you would artichoke leaves - draw each pod through the teeth, popping the beans into your mouth and discarding the pod.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Looks great, Karen! How many packs of ramen did you use?

Have you ever had edamame in their pods? That's my favorite way to have it, as a side dish. You steam them, salt and butter them, and eat them as you would artichoke leaves - draw each pod through the teeth, popping the beans into your mouth and discarding the pod.

Lee

No, this is only second time I've had them as just pods.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this tonight using thin-sliced beef for braciole. Had to brown the beef in 3 batches, which annoyed me.

Used thawed frozen Asian vegetable blend, thawed frozen peas, and fresh bean sprouts. The beauty of this recipe is that you can use whatever you have!

Served with sake.

Lee

Steak.JPG

IMG_8276.JPG