First Place Brisket

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's been awhile since I've smoked a whole packer brisket (the point and flat attached), but a friend of mine has a card for a restaurant supply store, and took me to get one.

A 13 pounder. Actually had to fold it to get it on my bullet smoker.

Anyway, this recipe and technique won First Place Brisket for QBro and me twice in BBQ competitions.

It's just as good at home in the backyard. :biggrin:

BTW, there is another great thread on smoked brisket from a few years ago, started by High Cheese, here: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11326&highlight=brisket Good discussion.

The "Rick's Sinful Marinade" was developed by BBQ Champion Rick Salmon. It's wonderful to use as directed (not so good if you sip a spoonful).

Note: Wrapping the brisket in foil with the marinade and resting it in a cooler will soften the bark. But, as others have discussed, brisket flat dries out quickly, and this technique ensures moist meat all the way through.

Lee

Lee’s First Place Brisket

Plan on cooking the brisket for 10 hours if it’s a full brisket (flat and point attached), or maybe 7 hours if you’ve just got the flat.

Start smoker, shoot for 225 temp. (if you anywhere between that and 250, it's okay).

Rub brisket with yellow mustard and generously sprinkle your favorite dry rub all over (I like Head Country, which I buy online).

When smoker is up to temp, place a couple of handfulls of wood chips (or 3-4 chunks) on the coals. I like hickory.

Put brisket on lower shelf, fat side down. Put a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the beef, and set it to alarm at 165 degrees.

After 5 hours, flip brisket over to fat side up

When brisket meat is 165 degrees, place brisket in a disposable aluminum foil pan MEAT SIDE DOWN, and pour in the entire batch of Rick's Sinful marinade for a whole brisket. Just use half, if you have only the point. Wrap the whole pan in heavy duty aluminum foil, doubled up.

When a probe goes in like butter (thermometer temp in the meat should be high 190's, low 200's), take off the brisket to rest in a dry cooler, MEAT SIDE DOWN, for several hours or until you are ready to eat. Keep meat as hot as possible.

Before serving, brush the whole brisket with your favorite bbq sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's). Serve sauce at the table for people to help themselves to more, if they want it.

Rick's Sinful Marinade

12 oz. can of beer
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup of water
½ cup Worcestershire sauce (I use Head Country Marinade)
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon beef base (beef bouillion is fine)
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon MSG

Raw brisket, fat side (I trimmed off some of the thick, tough fat)
Brisket 1, fat side 9-14.JPG

Raw brisket, meat side

Brisket 2, meat side.JPG

Rubbed and ready

Brisket 3, rubbed and ready.JPG

Folded on smoker to start

Brisket 4, folded on smoker.JPG

Cooked and rested

Brisket 5 cooked, 2014.JPG

Flat, sliced

Brisket 6 flat sliced, 2014.JPG

Point sliced
Brisket 7 point sliced, 2014.JPG

Plated with corn salad and California Chinese cole slaw

Brisket 8, corn salad, cole slaw salad 2014.JPG

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
as he said- & now i'll hafta me take a cab to restaurant supply- or get someone to take me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OMG
drooling.gif

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to give this a try...never smoked a brisket. I think I'll use a point cut because it looks more fatty so maybe more forgiving for a beginner.

I googled and, much to my surprise, they sell Head Country seasoning at WalMart. I've never seen it there though.

Just to clarify so that I don't screw this up...

Meat goes into the foiled pan with the marinade
Sounds like you pulled the probe out before wrapping?
To get a temp reading do I have to unwrap or can I just poke through the foil?
Would it be dumb :blush: to leave the probe in the meat and just go by temperature?

Shermie

Site Supporter
It's been awhile since I've smoked a whole packer brisket (the point and flat attached), but a friend of mine has a card for a restaurant supply store, and took me to get one.

A 13 pounder. Actually had to fold it to get it on my bullet smoker.

Anyway, this recipe and technique won First Place Brisket for QBro and me twice in BBQ competitions.

It's just as good at home in the backyard. :biggrin:

BTW, there is another great thread on smoked brisket from a few years ago, started by High Cheese, here: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11326&highlight=brisket Good discussion.

The "Rick's Sinful Marinade" was developed by BBQ Champion Rick Salmon. It's wonderful to use as directed (not so good if you sip a spoonful).

Note: Wrapping the brisket in foil with the marinade and resting it in a cooler will soften the bark. But, as others have discussed, brisket flat dries out quickly, and this technique ensures moist meat all the way through.

Lee

Lee’s First Place Brisket

Plan on cooking the brisket for 10 hours if it’s a full brisket (flat and point attached), or maybe 7 hours if you’ve just got the flat.

Start smoker, shoot for 225 temp. (if you anywhere between that and 250, it's okay).

Rub brisket with yellow mustard and generously sprinkle your favorite dry rub all over (I like Head Country, which I buy online).

When smoker is up to temp, place a couple of handfulls of wood chips (or 3-4 chunks) on the coals. I like hickory.

Put brisket on lower shelf, fat side down. Put a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the beef, and set it to alarm at 165 degrees.

After 5 hours, flip brisket over to fat side up

When brisket meat is 165 degrees, place brisket in a disposable aluminum foil pan MEAT SIDE DOWN, and pour in the entire batch of Rick's Sinful marinade for a whole brisket. Just use half, if you have only the point. Wrap the whole pan in heavy duty aluminum foil, doubled up.

When a probe goes in like butter (thermometer temp in the meat should be high 190's, low 200's), take off the brisket to rest in a dry cooler, MEAT SIDE DOWN, for several hours or until you are ready to eat. Keep meat as hot as possible.

Before serving, brush the whole brisket with your favorite bbq sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's). Serve sauce at the table for people to help themselves to more, if they want it.

Rick's Sinful Marinade

12 oz. can of beer
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup of water
½ cup Worcestershire sauce (I use Head Country Marinade)
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon beef base (beef bouillion is fine)
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon MSG

Raw brisket, fat side (I trimmed off some of the thick, tough fat)
View attachment 18905

Raw brisket, meat side

View attachment 18906

Rubbed and ready

View attachment 18907

Folded on smoker to start

View attachment 18908

Cooked and rested

View attachment 18909

Flat, sliced

View attachment 18910

Point sliced
View attachment 18911

Plated with corn salad and California Chinese cole slaw

View attachment 18912

Dag, that brisket looks GOOD!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Rubbed and ready for the smoker:

BrisketReadyforSmoker.jpg

The smell of that seasoning made me swoon :wub:, can't wait to give it a taste test!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Do you have a pic of the finished product?

I want to try one in my Stovetop Kettle Smoker! :piesmiley1::eating2::wink:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry, Cooksie - I just saw your questions now.

Yes, you wrap the brisket in foil with the marinade, and you can poke the probe through the foil and leave it in there while the meat finishes cooking.

Yes, the point is definitely more forgiving! It's my favorite part (and most people's favorite), but competition judges often looked for the cook's skill in turning in moist, tender slices of the flat.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your results!

What did you use for a rub?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
And..........she's on!

Thanks, Q-Sis! I used the Head Country. If it tastes as good as that seasoning smells, it's going to be wonderful.

I'll take pics if it comes out to my liking :whistle:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And..........she's on!

Thanks, Q-Sis! I used the Head Country. If it tastes as good as that seasoning smells, it's going to be wonderful.

I'll take pics if it comes out to my liking :whistle:.

Ohboyohboyohboy!!! :bouncy:

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Winner Winner Brisket Dinner! Thanks again, Q-Sis!

I love it even though I did overcook it a little. I stuck the probe in it, and never having smoked a brisket, I thought, "I think that's done," but I second guessed myself and let it go a little longer....big mistake. I'll get it right next time.

That marinade and rub are both killer! I'm already thinking of other ways to use the rub.

BrisketSmoked.jpg

Re-heated in some of the marinade, sure hated to cut that fat off :blush::

SmokedBrisket.jpg

I had to make one substitution, used white wine vinegar instead of the cider vinegar, thought I had it but didn't, and cut the cayenne a bit.

On the choices:
No Head Country Marinade, used worcestershire
Used the rub instead of seasoning salt
Used Stubb's Original for the BBQ Sauce, my favorite

Try it, Sherman! I can just about guarantee that you'll love it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cookie, I am SO impressed! BEAUTIFUL smoke ring!

What do you have for a smoker?

What kind of charcoal and wood did you use?

How long did it take?

Did you use a thermometer either in the smoker or in the meat? What temp was the smoker? What temp was the meat when you pulled it off?

GREAT JOB!!! I WANT SOME!!!

Lee

P.S. Use the BBQ rub as you would seasoned salt - on chicken, chops, steaks, cottage cheese, vegs, etc.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, Cooksie!

Still looks very good!!

I, also, have the Stubbs' BBQ Sauce - the hickory smokey bourbon flavor! of all of the BBQ sauces out there, and I've tried just about EVERYthing there, I found out that Stubb's is the absolute best one!!

As for the marinade, I might go with plain Italian dressing, or do a light brine soak for the first time.

I think I want to give this a whirl in my Stovetop Kettle Smoker just to see how it will come out when done!! :bbq::piesmiley1::eating2::weber:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cookie, I am SO impressed! BEAUTIFUL smoke ring!
Thank You :)

What do you have for a smoker?
New Bransfels Hondo Jr

What kind of charcoal and wood did you use?
Kingsford Match Light :hide:
Mesquite chips

How long did it take?
I was aiming to get it on at 10, but didn't happen until about 10:15, and after I gave it a little rest, I was slicing around 6...so around 7 hours give or take.

Did you use a thermometer either in the smoker or in the meat? What temp was the smoker? What temp was the meat when you pulled it off?

I always start the thermometer in the smoker because I know my gauge is off. It has always been about 100 degrees off, so I still use the thermometer to check it every time just in case it has changed its mind and wants to throw me a curve ball.

After about an hour, I switched and put the thermometer in the meat and just kept a check on the gauge, knowing that I would have to add 100 degrees to the reading.

The temp in the smoker for the majority of the time was about 235, little up, little down. I very seldom have to fight to get the temp down, but towards the end it becomes a battle to keep it hot enough at a steady temp.

I don't know the exact temp of the meat when I took it off. When I checked it and thought it was done, it was in the 190's, so a little higher than that...obviously a little too much higher :).

GREAT JOB!!! I WANT SOME!!!

Lee

P.S. Use the BBQ rub as you would seasoned salt - on chicken, chops, steaks, cottage cheese, vegs, etc.

It's telling me that my reply is too short :confused: , so...
The End

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That really looks great and Brisket is my favorite cut of beef also. We recently picked up a whole brisket ourselves but now being only 2 people I cut it into 4 pieces. I will be smoking one of the center pieces this Thursday with my new Indoor/Outdoor smoker. My old smoker is a bit too large for my needs for just two so picked up a Nordic as shown below and works on my induction stove just fine including my portable, Circulon Infinite model. I hope mine turns out a good looking though I'm using a different marinade and rub this time. I have save yours though for future use.

Attachments

• 81XgRwF3qaL._SL1500_.jpg
    81XgRwF3qaL._SL1500_.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 310

Shermie

Site Supporter
That really looks great and Brisket is my favorite cut of beef also. We recently picked up a whole brisket ourselves but now being only 2 people I cut it into 4 pieces. I will be smoking one of the center pieces this Thursday with my new Indoor/Outdoor smoker. My old smoker is a bit too large for my needs for just two so picked up a Nordic as shown below and works on my induction stove just fine including my portable, Circulon Infinite model. I hope mine turns out a good looking though I'm using a different marinade and rub this time. I have save yours though for future use.

You've got the right tool for the job, Joec!!

I have that as well, and it has served me very well, and continues to do so!!

I will be using it as well, when I get a beef brisket! :weber:

Attachments

• Nordicware Stovetop Kettle Smoker..jpg
    Nordicware Stovetop Kettle Smoker..jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 304

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for all the answers, Cooksie! Was your brisket drier than you wanted? Is that why you said you cooked it too long? 190's should be fine for the point.

I let mine rest in an empty cooler for an hour or two before I slice it. Did you have time to do that?

I am so glad you tried it and were so successful and posted your results!

Joe, will you please post your results, too???

Excellent, guys!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for all the answers, Cooksie! Was your brisket drier than you wanted? Is that why you said you cooked it too long? 190's should be fine for the point.

I let mine rest in an empty cooler for an hour or two before I slice it. Did you have time to do that?

Excellent, guys!

Lee

I actually changed my mind and will use the pointed tip piece instead of the square end. Both weigh about 3 lbs. I have the piece in the refrigerator now in a marinade but will take it out tomorrow, apply a rub and refrigerate till Thursday. I would normally do this Wednesday but have a chemo session then.

I wlll post the results for sure if I'm physically up to it though. Right now though I working on a corn beef we had Sunday for dinner. Great sandwiches for lunch the last two days. :biggrin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You've got the right tool for the job, Joec!!

I have that as well, and it has served me very well, and continues to do so!!

I will be using it as well, when I get a beef brisket! :weber:

I think so also Shermie. The Cameron won't work with my induction burner top stoves and this one does. I also like it due to the dome lid which allows for up to a 10 lb turkey. I got it yesterday morning (love Amazon Prime), washed it then tried it out smoking some peppers and a slab of pork belly. It all turned out great too so I will give it a good rating when I do a Brisket and Ribs over the next couple of weeks. Oh and I prefer to smoke then finish in the oven for brisket/ribs etc. 30 - 45 min smoke puts a nice smoke ring and imparts as much flavor as my outdoor smoker did so very happy with it. 2 table spoons of the chips is all that is needed too.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Very good, Joec!!!

I just LOVE the mild, but truly authentically smokey odor the permiates the kitchen when I use it!! It makes me feel so hungry and want to gobble up what is being smoked in it!

But you just gave me an idea! Next time that I get a tukey breast, I'll smoke it! It should taste so good! I akso like the mild smokey taste that it leaves behind in the meat! Hevenly good!!! :):WitchBrewsSmiley:

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Excellent, guys!

Lee

Yes, it was drier than I was hoping for, but it was still tender. I didn't have time to do the cooler, need to plan better next time and do that.

I tasted of the marinade beforehand, and yeow, it was pungent! After it cooked with the brisket, it was de-lish. I even took a spoonful and mixed it with my bbq sauce.

I hope some more people try the marinade and rub. It's great stuff!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just giving this a kick. Why> It's summer, It's been on my mind.

Running out of summer weekends - Get out and Q.

As a companion - Check out our summer salads;.

Dogboa

Although I like smoked brisket, not everyone in the family does, so I don't make it that way. Now pork butt/shoulder is a different story! Whether, smoked, Cuban style or Cochinita Pibil, etc., it is very versatile.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Brisket was on sale this weekend (at a mere $5.99/lb!), but I haven't had one in awhile, so I got a nice little 5 pound flat.

Boy, did my backyard smell great all day!

Lee

Attachments

• Brisket 1.JPG
    Brisket 1.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Brisket 2.JPG
    Brisket 2.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Brisket 3.JPG
    Brisket 3.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 49