Worse night ever!

Lefty

Yank
I just got home from happy hour. I was on my way to get some plywood under cover when I got sprayed by a ****ing skunk. Paradise is not looking so go right now. :unsure:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Bad isn't it Lefty. :yum::yum::yum: Sorry for laughing so hard but been there myself. :ohmy:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: Lefty! So much for happy hour. That's terrible....:yum:...sorry...:oops: Look on the bright side...this is going to make for a very funny story someday.

homecook

:yum::yum: Oh Man!!!!!! Been there, done that.........a couple dogs got it too and then ran around the inside of the house. That is atrocious!! Sorry Lefty. :sad:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: How in the heck did that happen? Are skunks allowed at happy hours in Maine? :confused:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
You wouldn't believe how many skunk stories I've heard lately! That and I see two or three new ones flattened on the highway every day. Skunks are definitely in heat right now, and there's a lot of them!!!

chowhound

You wouldn't believe how many skunk stories I've heard lately! That and I see two or three new ones flattened on the highway every day. Skunks are definitely in heat right now, and there's a lot of them!!!

Are you suggesting that perhaps the skunk had other ideas for Lefty?

:lol:

Lefty

Yank
I am laughing right now telling some co-workers about the weekend. I just called our animal control officer and we will get a trap set up before the end of the work day.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What's the old saying...Better to be pissed off than pissed on...I'm sure Lefty can attest to that...:yum:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I am laughing right now telling some co-workers about the weekend. I just called our animal control officer and we will get a trap set up before the end of the work day.
That's a whole other can of worms, Lefty. What happens when you catch him? I've been there and the end result is you getting sprayed again. Will animal control come and pick up the skunk in the trap? (They won't do it here.)

Lefty

Yank
That's a whole other can of worms, Lefty. What happens when you catch him? I've been there and the end result is you getting sprayed again. Will animal control come and pick up the skunk in the trap? (They won't do it here.)

Animal control better come get it. I'm not going to get sprayed again. They leave a full trap out there to long I would be getting in some target practice. (30 ot 6) no evidence that little pest was here.

chowhound

I was talking to a pest control guy by his pickup a few years ago, when he told me to keep my voice down. I guess I was getting "excited" about something. Then he lifts a blanket or tarp in the back of his truck, didn't have to move as we were right there, and there's a skunk in a havahart trap. So I'm guessing throwing a heavy blanket or canvas tarp over them calms them down some so you can move the trap. Funny thing is, you can usally smell a skunk even if they haven't sprayed, but the tarp must have been holding the odor in too, or I would not have been standing 2' away from it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Skunks are really pretty blind in that they can only see a few feet in front of themselves. Really interesting animal in that once they are de scented they have little to no smell unlike even a cat or dog. They are easily trained to use a litter box like a cat and as effectuate as dog. They do tend to walk the perimeters of a room as again they have trouble seeing. We had one for about 5 years which is about their life span. Very clean and loyal animals just hard to get a veterinarian to treat one since they think ever one of them has rabies. Mine was born and raised in captivity as well as coming from a pet store as a baby. He also got along well with my dog, cats, rabbit and a ferret. When you own one you can also say good buy to bugs of any kind as they eat all they can find and the bugs know it leaving soon upon their arrival. Ferret's by the way smell really bad beside being bitters.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My luck wasn't as good with animal control. I bought several live traps to catch raccoons and skunks, but they wouldn't come and get them. The skunk sprayed as soon as I got near the trap. I ended up just releasing him because there was no way I could put that thing in my car!!! The raccoons are easier in that they don't spray, but they do claw and bite through the wire when you pick up the trap and then, they crap!!! I'm telling you - animal relocation is a lot harder than it looks.

The tarp idea is something I've never heard before, Chow, but I am definitely filing that away for future use. Thanks.