help need crabcake recipe

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's mine: http://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/how-to-make-crab-cakes.html You have to be careful flipping them because they are delicate. They make great "burgers" too.

crabcakes-00.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is mine Lefty served over yellow rice, steamed vegetables and fried onion strips.

My Crab Cakes

1 lb jumbo lump crab
3 Tbsp Whole butter
1 c Onion, chopped
1/2 c Green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c Green onion, chopped
1 Jalapeno diced fine or some other chili pepper of choice (optional)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Old Bay® Seasoning
1 or 2 tbls fresh parley or cilantro or basil or dill or a combination
1 Egg ( Mayo can be used in place if wanted)
1 c Bread crumbs (1 to 1 1/2 c) (I like panko, Japanese Bread Crumbs)
3 Tbsp Olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon (optional)

1. Heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and green onion. Cook until tender, then remove from the pan and cool completely.

2. In a large bowl, combine the salt, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, cilantro/parsley/basil/dill and egg. Mix well. Add the cooled vegetables and crab. Be careful not to break up the crab in to small lumps. Thats why you pay the big bucks. Use hands. You can then add the bread crumbs in tablespoon batches or as I prefer to form the cakes then dredge then in the bread crumbs as well as a bit more cayenne pepper mixed in if you like. I like mine about 3 inches in diameter and and 1 1/4 inches thick.

3. Refrigerate for about 1 hour as this helps hold them together.

4. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté the crab cakes until golden brown on both sides.

5. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

Yield: 12 Cakes

My crab cake dipping sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon red bell pepper, finely chopped (I like the roasted)
3 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Creole mustard
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon capers, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended Crystal's)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Chop all vegetable ingredients. Place in bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly then refrigerate.
*Cook's Note: It's best if you can make it the day before. Using a food processor will make your sauce watery.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Attachments

• CrabCakes1.JPG
    CrabCakes1.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 263

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow!

Both of those look spectacular!

Ever had Crabcake Benedict? You use crabcakes instead of Canadian Bacon, along with the poached egg over English Muffin and Hollandaise.

Decadent!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Wow!

Both of those look spectacular!

Ever had Crabcake Benedict? You use crabcakes instead of Canadian Bacon, along with the poached egg over English Muffin and Hollandaise.

Decadent!

Lee

Sure haven't be when we make them we freeze what we don't expect to cook and they keep well for a few months if care is taken rapping them good. Next time we make some perhaps we will try crabcake benedict.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
This is another really good crab cake recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/perfect-maryland-crab-cakes-recipe-1949822#reviewsTop

We have DR's cookbook, Taste, and it goes into a bit more detail about kind of bread you should try to use, and it's Wonderbread. Anybody remember that? It just disappears into the crab cake and it's like there isn't any breading/filler/binder at all. Course they are very delicate and fall apart fairly easily while you are cooking, so you pretty much have to use 2 spatulas to turn them over, or pick 1 up with a spatula, put it on a plate, then flip it over using another plate or an upside down spatula and then put it back in the pan, but they are worth the extra bit of trouble cause all you get is CRAB, no filler. BTW, I don't use that much lard, maybe 70 oil/30 lard, if I even use lard. Nor do I use enough for 1" depth, maybe 1/2".

For just the 2 of us, we make half the recipe, and I make them a bit smaller so we have 4. We just get a big can of 1 or the other kind of crab and use it, unless we are going to make something else with crab that week. Hmm, maybe it's time for some of these and Mulate's crab au gratin. I see a trip to Restaurant Depot coming up in the near future!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we're kinda' "purists" - after trying many different seasonings, we're back to

crab
beaten egg
panko crumbs to 'just' absorb free moisture
salt
pepper
Old Bay
cayenne
served with lemon wedge

I mix in some panko, let the mix sit for 5 minutes and recheck the bottom of the bowl for any liquid. add just a bit at a time to get a moist consistency - too dry aka too much breading makes them fall apart and you get the 'nah, needs more crab' breading effect.

then "I do the OMG I can't believe he just did that!" that.....
to get fish/salmon/crab/lobster cakes/patties to 'stick together' requires a mix of small and large chunks. 100% lump/jumbo lump falls apart . . .
so I take a knife to 50% by volume of the mix and dice it finer, mix it back in.

...this is one pound of crab for two people makes 4-5 cakes. for a crowd you could buy equal amounts of lump/special grade - at a pound a pop - that's a lotta' cakes for two.

then I use a cat food can that has the bottom and top cut out as a mold - and press the patty mixture down with the back of a soup spoon... in the fridge for a couple hours to set up and bingo! firm patties that stick together . . .