Anyone play around with spherification?

High Cheese

Saucier
I got a kit for Christmas. Already have what could be a frickin awesome recipe, just need to practice.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcNupGGkkw[/ame]

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I remember seeing IronChef over at DC post something about this a long time ago and I was intrigued. He had made some espresso "caviar", and I thought it would be a spectacular addition to a dessert. What are you going to try first, Cheese?

High Cheese

Saucier
I can't tell ya until it's done, but it's going to be pretty cool. I'm trying to sphere some alcohol which might require a different chemical. IDK, I have to play a little more. :chef:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting - what is the chemical used - the vid was low on detail.

High Cheese

Saucier
You use calcium chloride in the bath and sodium alginate in your foodstuff. My kit also came with sodium citrate (whatever thats for - lol) There are 2 methods of doing this depending on what chemicals you have. The kit I have is for regular spherification which produces a skin that will gradually thicken the whole orb into jelly over time. The other method, reverse (or inverse) spherification creates a thin membrane and keeps the liquid inside in it's original form.

Here's some more info:

Spherification is a spectacular cooking technique we introduced at el Bulli in 2003 which enables us to prepare recipes that no-one had even imagined before. It consists of the controlled gelification of a liquid which, submerged in a bath, forms spheres. There are two kinds: Basic Spherification (which consists of submerging a liquid with Algin in a bath of Calcic) and Reverse Spherification (submerging a liquid with Gluco in a bath of Algin). These techniques can obtain spheres of different sizes: caviar, eggs, gnocchi, ravioli... In both techniques, the spheres produced can be manipulated, since they are slightly flexible. We can introduce solid elements into the spheres, which will remain in suspension in the liquid, which obtains two or more flavours in a single preparation. In Basic Spherification, with some ingredients it is necessary to use Citras to correct the acidity; in Reverse Spherification, Xantana is generally used for thickening. Spherification requires the use of specific utensils (Eines), which are included in the Kits.
---
Gluco consists of calcium gluconolactate, a mixture of two calcium salts (calcium gluconate and calcium lactate) that produces a product rich in calcium and perfect for the technique of Inverse Spherification, while adding no flavour whatsoever to the food under preparation. In the food industry calcium gluconolactate is used to enrich different foodstuffs with calcium. Gluco was chosen for its excellent behaviour in spherification processes.
Characteristics: Presentation in powder form. Soluble in cold liquids. To avoid difficulties in dissolving, add Gluco before any other powder product. Problem free in acidic, alcoholic or fatty mediums.
For Recipes Visit: http://www.texturaselbulli.com

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I was also thinking that it would serve the purpose of being able to plate up delicate desserts and things like that in advance. If the sauce or puree is spherified, it wouldn't soak into delicate breads or puddings too much and make them mushy.

High Cheese

Saucier
Nice find Lee!

I'm curious about the technique but it's not something I would use all the time. I like building things so it's kind of like having a new shape Lego block.

FM - I would really like to start doing desserts. The only problem is I don't particularly like them, espescially sweet ones. So I would lean more towards clean, citrus/pallate cleanser dishes instead of molten lava cakes. lol

BTW - I did order the Gluco! :thumb: :chef:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I missed that thread. It looks beautiful.:applause::applause::applause:

I'm intrigued by the idea, and have been looking at it for several months. This is one of the sites that demonstrates an interesting application. I'd love to do this for a brunch.

http://luxirare.com/parfait/

Have you seen this clip, where Ferran Adria demonstrates spherification of an olive?

http://justcookit.blogspot.com/2009/05/inverse-spherification.html

I tend to be cautious (after all, I am an accountant). It's more reassuring when someone you 'know' has success with a cutting edge technique, as opposed to a highly trained professional chef. I guess I'm hoping that you are successful with it so that I may be able to talk myself into getting the equipment set up.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, that first link sure answered MY question, "why?"!!! Astounding photos, and perfect explanation - BRILLIANT!!

Thanks for posting it, SS!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
What Qsis said! That first link is amazing.

Sometimes (Read often) I daydream. I was thinking of a cornucopia from a cantelope with mixed cut fruits and spread around spheres of fruit for the IC.

No time, no equipment, it could be really nice though.

High Cheese

Saucier
That Luxirare link is awesome, I didn't see that one. :thumb: I saw the re-constructed olive too. From what I hear/read, alot of people just use gluco now since it's less tempermental. I bought all my supplies from Chef Rubber. The caviar kit does not come with gluco, just so you know.

Oh, you NEED to buy an ounce scale. I mistakingly spent $60 on a digital kitchen scale but it's not fine enough. Look on Ebay or Amazon for a cheap, $10-15 jewelers scale. They are so cheap the kits should come with one.

Theres a couple threads on egullet but they are hard to follow....for me anyway. Sites like the parfait one you posted are your best bet.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Oh, you NEED to buy an ounce scale. I mistakingly spent $60 on a digital kitchen scale but it's not fine enough. Look on Ebay or Amazon for a cheap, $10-15 jewelers scale. They are so cheap the kits should come with one.

My [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Escali-Primo-Digital-Multifunctional-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264350357&sr=8-1"]Escali[/ame] reads down to 0.02 oz., or 1 g. Is that not fine enough?

High Cheese

Saucier
My bad...a gram scale, not ounce scale. lol

Here's the one I bought on Ebay. That scale might not be accurate enough, Robsan. I offered $10 and they took it.