A basic Beer batter recipe ?

Derek

Banned
I think I've about this before but I can't find the thread about.

But can some one give me a good bear batter for Saturday?

My folks are coming over for dinner and I'm serving them Hamburgers and onion rings. And I want a basic beer batter that I can change one or two ingredients.

I want to use butter milk and some cayenne for a little flare.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Re: A basic Bear batter recipe ?

this is my recipe for basic beer batter that i use on fish

1/4 tsp habanaro powder (subsititue your favorite)
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 beer(room temp) drink 1/4
seasoning to taste( I usually use about 2 tsp of some kind of season all, wild game season or old bay)
1 tsp baking powder
extra flour for dredging

Directions:

Whisk egg, beer, flour, seasonings together until smooth. Cover and let sit 20-30 minutes.

Heat oil to 375, I use peanut oil.

Stir in baking powder to batter just before frying.

Dry fish pieces with paper towel then dredge in flour and then in batter.

Fry until golden brown. Season with salt or similar when the fish comes out of the fryer.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

You can also dredge the onion rings in some cornstarch before dipping in the batter to get the batter to stick.

lilylove

LOL...here I was all ready to tell you how to cook up some bear steaks!!

Derek

Banned

this is my recipe for basic beer batter that i use on fish

1/4 tsp habanaro powder (subsititue your favorite)
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 beer(room temp) drink 1/4
seasoning to taste( I usually use about 2 tsp of some kind of season all, wild game season or old bay)
1 tsp baking powder
extra flour for dredging

Directions:

Whisk egg, beer, flour, seasonings together until smooth. Cover and let sit 20-30 minutes.

Heat oil to 375, I use peanut oil.

Stir in baking powder to batter just before frying.

Dry fish pieces with paper towel then dredge in flour and then in batter.

Fry until golden brown. Season with salt or similar when the fish comes out of the fryer.
Thanks Jeff, I would do that for my fried oakra I'm going to have for next monday, But I got to keep the heat at least 100 scovile units or the folks and my nephew will not eat them. And whats the baking powder do for the rings Jeff?

You can also dredge the onion rings in some cornstarch before dipping in the batter to get the batter to stick.
What else can I use instead of cornstarch? I don't have corn starch and I may not be able to buy any until 2 weeks.

That's a really cool trick! :thumb:
Yeah Kelt, Mama has some awesome tricks up her sleeve and she should open a restaurant.

LOL...here I was all ready to tell you how to cook up some bear steaks!!
LOL, I love steak.

lilylove

Finally after 43 years I have a rep!!! Does this mean I'm COOOL?

lilylove

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEMxYggoKQ[/ame]

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

Thanks Jeff, I would do that for my fried oakra I'm going to have for next monday, But I got to keep the heat at least 100 scovile units or the folks and my nephew will not eat them. And whats the baking powder do for the rings Jeff?

What else can I use instead of cornstarch? I don't have corn starch and I may not be able to buy any until 2 weeks.

Yeah Kelt, Mama has some awesome tricks up her sleeve and she should open a restaurant.

LOL, I love steak.

i have relatives that dont like any heat at all either... i just omit the hot for them

the baking powder makes the batter "fluffy"

we also fry some of our fish in a premade pancake batter and then add different spices depending on what we are cooking

Derek

Banned

i have relatives that dont like any heat at all either... i just omit the hot for them

the baking powder makes the batter "fluffy"

we also fry some of our fish in a premade pancake batter and then add different spices depending on what we are cooking
Oh cool, I didn't know that, I can't have premade pankcake batter since it closes up my throat and I can't breath "depending on the bite I take"

I'm not sure what's in the premade stuff but it doesn't agree with me at all.

Jeb Clampett

I didn't think bears liked to be battered, or rather they're usually the ones doing the battering.....

Derek

Banned

LOL @ the bears, Well gang I'm going to take Mama's and I'm going to take Jeff's recipes and make my own from them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Here are two more the first one is pretty light and the second a bit heavier. Should work for onion rings, fish, chicken etc without problems.

Beer Batter

1 cup flour
1 cup warm beer
pinch salt
2 tbs. oil
2 egg whites

Sift the flour into a bowl, make a hole in the center and add the beer, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Leave to stand for 1 hour, and just before using add the stiffly beaten egg whites. Using whole eggs instead of egg whites will produce a good but less 'crispy' coating.

Beer batter 2

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup beer
1 egg

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl using a fork. Beat beer, egg and oil together in a separate bowl. Stir into flour mixture until well blended.
Batter should be pretty smooth and moderately thick.

Derek

Banned

Here are two more the first one is pretty light and the second a bit heavier. Should work for onion rings, fish, chicken etc without problems.

Beer Batter

1 cup flour
1 cup warm beer
pinch salt
2 tbs. oil
2 egg whites

Sift the flour into a bowl, make a hole in the center and add the beer, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Leave to stand for 1 hour, and just before using add the stiffly beaten egg whites. Using whole eggs instead of egg whites will produce a good but less 'crispy' coating.

Beer batter 2

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup beer
1 egg

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl using a fork. Beat beer, egg and oil together in a separate bowl. Stir into flour mixture until well blended.
Batter should be pretty smooth and moderately thick.
Thank you Joe, I might give the second a try for my oakra.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Some these will also work using seltzer (club soda) in place of the beer. I myself prefer using a couple of extra steps though for mine tastes. I like using corn starch first, dredging it in the liquid followed by a mix of 25% flour and 75% panko (Japanese bread crumbs) I find it is much fries crispier than just flour crusts do. For my coconut shrimp I skip the flower and mix panko and coconut together. You can get panko in any Asian market as well as some better grocery stores. I know whole foods has it but mine I get at the local Korean market. Panko comes as plain or honey flavored for a little sweeter flavor.

Derek

Banned

Hey gang take a look here, This an awesome recipe I came up with , it's basically 1 part Jeff's and 1 part Mama's with a twist, The beer will come Saturday though.

Beer batter 2

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup beer
1 egg

Then I've added these.

1. half of a table spoon of Chopped Shallots.
2. half of a table spoon of Nutmeg.
3. half of a table spoon of Turmeric
4. half of a table spoon of Chipolta powder.
5. half of a table spoon of Cayenne powder.
6. 2 egg whites.
7. half a cup of cornmeal.
8. half a cup of buttermilk.

Last edited:

AllenOK

Here's how I do beer batter.

Get yourself a good quality beer, preferably a medium-dark. Amber Bock is good. Guiness is better. Pour the beer into a container that you can easily mix in. Remember to salute the bottle first! Take and enjoy a sip! (Better yet, buy two, and down the second) Start mixing in flour, a little at a time, to get the consistency that you want/like. Add a teaspoon or two of malt powder. Mix until smooth.

To batter the item, dust/dredge in flour. Dip into the beer batter (gloves are good for this). Drop into the fryer. Cook to desired doneness.

Remember, some food naturally float (mushrooms), while many will sink. Foods that sink will tend to stick to the bottom of the frying vessel, or to the basket. You want to "swim" the food through the oil. Holding the battered food firmly, lower it into the hot oil. Get you fingers as close as you can stand, as the more covered in oil the batter is, the less chance it will stick. Remember, it's going to bubble up above the average level of the oil. It helps if you have gloves on, especially if they're covered in breading/batter (insulation!). "Swim" the food through the oil for a few seconds, so that the batter starts to develop a crust. Then drop it in (don't splash yourself!). Once the batter sets, and the food cooks, it should release and float.

We are doing land-office business in Fish-n-Chips at work, so beer-battering fish is easy for me, but this technique will probably scare most folks off.

Addendum: I always salt/pepper the food AFTER it comes out of the oil. Try onion rings, with two batches of batter. One seasoned, one plain, and season the plain batter when it comes out. Taste and evalute each. You'll see what I mean.