36 jars

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
of beautiful red pontchachula strawberry jam that looks more like strawberry sauce. Obviously, it didn't set. I spent too much money on 4 flats of berries, the jars and sugar to call this sauce.

Any ideas on ways to get it to set?

Norm

The causes of jelly being too soft are 1. Proportions of sugar to juice were not correct and 2. Too large a batch was made at one time.

Phiddlechik

Or, if you are an old wife and believe in tales :) .... it could have been storming. Like lightning....
but, I would just use it as syrup and call it good.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Can't use it as sauce, Phiddle...the idea was to have enough strawberry jam for the restaurant to last several months.

Followed the recipe, Norm....on the box of pectin. did one batch at a time. It took about 5 hours.

The fig, mango, peach, orange...all came out fine. The strawberry is another story entirely.

Leni

Vera, go to www.melindalee.com, then to the Teaching Segments page. There you will see a thread 'Liquid Cement' That should solve your problem. I tried to copy/paste but it didn't work.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all...

Can I reuse the lids I just used or do I have to get all new lids now?? Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to doing this all over again:furious:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Can't use it as sauce,

new menu item: deep waffles with strawberry stuff, dusted with 10x for pretty.

careful, you're gonna need more of the stuff and then you won't be able to figure out how to properly de-jam it (g)

edit: yeah, new lids all around. no, never ever reuse a lid.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Vera, go to www.melindalee.com, then to the Teaching Segments page. There you will see a thread 'Liquid Cement' That should solve your problem. I tried to copy/paste but it didn't work.

Liquid Cement

This Is The Formula For Setting Up Jam Or Jellies That Did Not "Set"

For 8 cups of un-jelled recipe:

• Place the un-jelled mixture in a saucepan
  • Add 1/2 cup, granulated sugar
  • Bring to a boil, stirring constantly

Then add:

• 1/2 cup, lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup, liquid pectin (such as Certo)

Return the mixture to a boil
Boil for 4 minutes only
Pour into freshly washed, sterilized hot jars
Seal with lid or wax

http://www.melindalee.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=5

Leni

THANKS PEEPS! That's exactly what I was trying to do but it didn't work. :furious: I spent over an hour trying. Please tell me how you did it.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Sooooooooooo...who wants to come spend a couple of days in New Orleans resetting my jam? You can stay at my place...plenty of food at the restaurant..??

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
THANKS PEEPS! That's exactly what I was trying to do but it didn't work. :furious: I spent over an hour trying. Please tell me how you did it.
You're welcome Leni.

:wub: I hate to say it but I just highlighted it, right click copy, right click paste.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sooooooooooo...who wants to come spend a couple of days in New Orleans resetting my jam? You can stay at my place...plenty of food at the restaurant..??
Vera I wish I could come visit you and help out.

Mr. Green Jeans

Vera, if you are going to do this for Red Gravy on a regular basis look into Tattler jar lids. They are re-usable, just run them through the dishwasher.

Leni

Ah, okay I was left clicking. Thanks!

Vera if you use Melinda's liquid cement would you me know how it worked?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I already bought regular pectin. Not sure if I'm going to hold onto that for future projects or use it instead of the liquid. I really really don't wnat to do this project again, haha

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Now it's 33 jars

Followed a recipe found via one of the above links. 1.5t pectin,1T sugar and 1T water per cup of unset jam. We'll have to see how it sets. Lost three jars in translation, though. Can't quite see how that happened considering I was adding rather than subtracting. I did use a few larger jars than some of the originals...that is probably where the difference comes from.

What a project. And I have a lovely burn on my thumb, too...

Leni

You know what Vera? I made strawberry jam last year and a lot of it did not set up either. I just used that as a syrup. I also made Satsuma plum, boysenberry and apricot jam. All of those set up perfectly. I wonder if it has something to do with the fruit itself.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Leni. Strawberry has no natural pectin of it's own. My fig, peach, blood orange, plum and mango all set up fine. My grape was magnificent. This is the second time I did strawberry, and the second time this happened. This is the first time I'm trying to fix it though..