Wings & Wedges on the Grill

chowhound

No recipe. Just how I "wing it" some of the time.

Make a sauce and get it warmed up on your grill. In this case it was teriyaki sauce, a little soy sauce, honey and various dry seasonings out of the cupboard.
wings&wedges1sauce.jpg

Put your wings in the sauce. I usally just dump them in frozen because I don't plan ahead. Cooking them til done just takes a little longer, but being in the glass pan is a no brainer. You could probably even forget you're grilling for about 45 minutes. Toss them around until they reach the temperature you're looking for. In my case they need to shoot up over 160F. The grill is around 350 and they are over a low flame.
wings&wedges2insauce.jpg

Gratutitious knife guy pic :wink:
Cut yourself up some potato wedges. Using whatever knife is closest.
wings&wedges3cuttingspuds.jpg

I make a foil pan up and season the wedges in there. To make the foil pan, either consult your Sheet Metal Workers International handbook, or take a roll of aluminum foil to your closest sheet metal shop and ask them to do it for you..... :yum: Oh i kill myself..... :bonk:
EVOO has been added to the foil pan of course. And if you hold your cutting board flush with the counter, you can slide the flimsy pan right onto it. Place it on the grill the same way.
wings&wedges4onboard.jpg

If you haven't nuked the potatoes (on a plate) ahead of time, you'll have a good wait. I did tonight. Put them over a low flame, shut the lid, flip them now and then, and give them at least 30 minutes before you even think they are done, but they'll burn before then if you aren't paying attention. It's a good idea to add either some more oil or some butter (what I use) after ten minutes to make sure they are good and lubed. Too much ahead of time and you might as well deep fry them.
I don't pay attention to times, but you can use the usual methods to see if and when they are done. Eat one....

wings&wedges5ongrill.jpg

After a while, and the chicken is reading the temp you like (in my case 180F), take the wings out of the pan and start to color them up. Still on low to med flame.
wings&wedges6ongrill1.jpg

Put em on a platter when you feel like. They have been done for a while now, but I don't like to rush things.

wings&wedges7onplate.jpg

Put em on your plate.
In my case with ranch on the wedges and blue cheese dressing on the carrots.
wings&wedges8onmyplate.jpg

Your results may vary. Which could be a good thing!

homecook

I love the way you cook!!! It's pretty similar to the way I do it.....when it's done it's done. lol

Barb

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, c.h., that looks fabulous!!!

Get some disposable foil pans to make it even easier!

Lee

chowhound

Thanks, Lee. I don't know about the disposable pans though.... sounds pretty hi-tech to me (lol). Besides, I make the foil pan in the size I need ;^)

It's easy cooking for one, Barb. No time constraints.

And thanks again, Keltin.

buckytom

Grill Master
man, chowdog, those look great. gratuitous pics and all.

i've never thought about using a glass dish on the grill. i'll have to try that.

chowhound

man, chowdog, those look great. gratuitous pics and all.

i've never thought about using a glass dish on the grill. i'll have to try that.

You probably never thought of it because it's probably something you're not supposed to do :lol: It always cleans up real easy though, so I figure what the hell.
Thanks, Bud.

buckytom

Grill Master
yeah, that's why i like glass. a steel wool pad or two with some water and elbow grease, and it's like new.

i guess it's safe if the glass is heavy, and you know your grill, right? :thumb:

chowhound

Well, it's pyrex, and aren't chemists always heating something in a pyrex beaker up over a flame? They do on TV anyway.....
Besides, it's really no different than sticking it in the oven, since the flames never touch the glass. At least that's what I tell myself ;^)

Love2"Q"

made some wings like this last night ..
they were awesome .. made buffalo wing sauce and
cooked them in that .. i cooked them a bit to long the
meat was falling off the bones .. but i really liked them like
that .. thanks for the idea chow ...

chowhound

Cool. I'm glad you liked the method, Lee. Cooking them in the sauce it would be easy to overdo it to where they are fall off the bone soft. Same principle as oven ribs I imagine.

Thanks Vera. And thinking back..... I'm pretty sure it wasn't a white zifandel... or even a barefoot bubbly. Beer. Yep, that was it. I had beer with them :biggrin:

Thanks Simplicity.

And what are we having tonight TG?....... :lol:
I am having a steak that would do even a Texan proud. It's huge.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Cool. I'm glad you liked the method, Lee. Cooking them in the sauce it would be easy to overdo it to where they are fall off the bone soft. Same principle as oven ribs I imagine.

Thanks Vera. And thinking back..... I'm pretty sure it wasn't a white zifandel... or even a barefoot bubbly. Beer. Yep, that was it. I had beer with them :biggrin:

Thanks Simplicity.

And what are we having tonight TG?....... :lol:
I am having a steak that would do even a Texan proud. It's huge.

medium rare please:biggrin:

chowhound

Thanks. It's a great way to defrost, marinate and cook in one step.

The carrots, lol.... Yep. Plenty of work went into those carrots :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Tonight I did Chow’s technique for wings. I bought a big bag of frozen wings on sale, and wow, they are the biggest wings I’ve ever seen. Usually I buy them fresh and cut them myself, but this bag was very impressive. At 1.50 per pound, and at this size, I’ll be doing this again.

I used Soy, Teriyaki, DR. Pepper, Red Wine Vinegar, Honey, White Sugar, Minced Garlic, and Cracked Black Pepper. Mixed it all in the casserole dish, added the frozen wings, and then onto the grill for 45 minutes. Turned the wings in the sauce half way through.

Once they had cooked to 160 in the sauce, I finished them on the grill. The sauce was a bit sugary which caused the wings to stick rather badly on my grill. Next time, I’ll use some Grill PAM to avoid this.

This is a very easy and very tasty way to make wings, especially the frozen variety. Just throw them in frozen and walk away. So cool, and tastes so very good. Plus, it’s all cooked outdoors, and in this heat lately, that is a BIG plus.

Very fun to do, great to eat – I highly recommend it! Nice job Chow! :clap::thumb:

Interestingly enough, this method reminds me strongly of Chicken Adobo in which you poach the chicken in Soy & Vinegar then crisp it on the grill or broiler.

Step_1-35.jpg

Step_2-36.jpg

Step_3-30.jpg

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No recipe. Just how I "wing it" some of the time.

I make a foil pan up and season the wedges in there. To make the foil pan, either consult your Sheet Metal Workers International handbook, or take a roll of aluminum foil to your closest sheet metal shop and ask them to do it for you..... :yum: Oh i kill myself..... :bonk:

You probably used a brake to make it or at least a pair of tongs. :yum: Remember guy I too have a retirement coming from the Sheet Metal Union in another 2 years.

chowhound

I have a small box and pan brake in the kitchen for just such occasions when I need a foil pan, Joe. :lol:

Glad you liked it Keltin. It's a great no-brainer way to cook & marinate them on short notice (still frozen) without worrying about ruining them. Thanks