It's a bird,it's a plane..it's a ?????

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
this is my new toy...should be cooking on it by weds or thursday...
can you tell what it is? :mrgreen:

10pq5ip.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's a tricked out Smokey Joe. Looks like they finally made a 12" insert for those things like they have been doing for the 18s and 22s all this time.

If that is what it is, I WANT ONE!!!! :clap:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
It's a tricked out Smokey Joe. Looks like they finally made a 12" insert for those things like they have been doing for the 18s and 22s all this time.

If that is what it is, I WANT ONE!!!! :clap:

ding ding ding....

made with one of these -
IMUSA Tamale and Seafood 32-Quart Steamer

0009404600034_500X500.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Who is making this for you???? How did they porcelain coat it? Are you making this yourself or ordering it from somewhere?

If you're making it yourself.......will you make me one???? Please!!! :biggrin:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Who is making this for you???? How did they porcelain coat it? Are you making this yourself or ordering it from somewhere?

If you're making it yourself.......will you make me one???? Please!!! :biggrin:

i am making it myself..there is no porcelain coat. they painted it will engine enamel or high temp paint

you can make it yourself real easy...cut out a whole with a jig saw, dremel or use aviation snips(tin snips)(if you dont care that it looks pretty..which i dont)

drill 3 holes per cooking rack, 1 hole in side for temp guage(if you want one)

a few other mods..really not that hard...hardest part of this build is taking of the label of the tamale steamer...

if you dont want to do it this way....you can make a UDS of sorts using a 15gallon barrel..open both ends.. barrel fits in perfect to bottom of smokey joe, lid fits perfect on top

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i am making it myself..there is no porcelain coat. they painted it will engine enamel or high temp paint

you can make it yourself real easy...cut out a whole with a jig saw, dremel or use aviation snips(tin snips)(if you dont care that it looks pretty..which i dont)

drill 3 holes per cooking rack, 1 hole in side for temp guage(if you want one)

a few other mods..really not that hard...hardest part of this build is taking of the label of the tamale steamer...

if you dont want to do it this way....you can make a UDS of sorts using a 15gallon barrel..open both ends.. barrel fits in perfect to bottom of smokey joe, lid fits perfect on top

How cool! That's just paint? It looks shiny like the Smokey Joe coating! I'll give this a shot. Sounds easy enough, all I need do is find that particular steamer. I'm on the hunt! Thanks!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
How cool! That's just paint? It looks shiny like the Smokey Joe coating! I'll give this a shot. Sounds easy enough, all I need do is find that particular steamer. I'm on the hunt! Thanks!

our local walmart has them...not sure if they will have them up where you are...tomorrow i will give you the exact part #...walmart will ship store to store(you just gotta talk to the right person)...you have to get the one made in china..there is one made in another country(have CRS right now).

they used high heat paint from Home Depot, not your regular grill paint as it doesnt get as shiny..your choices are unlimited on paint as they make engine enamel that will work here if you dont want to go traditional black.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is just flipping awesome! And it's perfect for me. I've been wanting something to smoke smaller batches in for a while, and this is it!!! Thank you for posting this! :clap:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
with me being on the road all the time...this is so portable and i can do enough for one or two people...

bought a smokey joe in louisianna for $8(gave the guy $10 because he delivered it) off of craigslist..looks like it has only been used a couple of times.. came across the plans for this on one of my bbq forums and knew it fit my needs..

i will have less than $50 into this when i am done and is perfect sized for me.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
just about done

gotta shop some more tomorrow. i still need:
1. grate
2. thermometer
3. piece of expanded steel for fire ring
4. charcoal & wood
5. clay plate for heat sync

still need to install above parts and paint..this seriously took me less than an hour to put together

gonna do a full write up on my blog when i get the rest of it put together

but here is the pot so you know what it looks like

28l9kpi.jpg

2n88vm1.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
its all done minus the painting..got pecan chunks and cherry chips waiting to be burned this friday

2n85vzl.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Can't wait to see the finished product and the foooodddd! I read the other thread and really like the looks of the painted ones with the contrasting color--gold with the black looks great!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
bump for Doc

new pics coming soon....just finished painting her

you can check out my blog for complete build..still have some more to add to the blog but almost done

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
all done.. cheap smoker build..i could have built this cheaper just by visiting my nearest recycle center or scrap yard but i chose to buy new parts

t5rk2u.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job Bams. It looks like a commercial product. :thumb: :tiphat: GREAT job!!!!!!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Maybe I'm just getting old, but if all you wanted was a vertical smoker for small to average loading, I would have just gone to Lowes and bought this for $59, instead of driving all over town looking for stuff to make it work. I like teh creativity part, but for something this inexpensive, I would put my time to something like drinking beer or watching the Food Channel. JMHO

Did you ever figure your labor and fuel costs into this project?

728649739555lg.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Maybe I'm just getting old, but if all you wanted was a vertical smoker for small to average loading, I would have just gone to Lowes and bought this for $59, instead of driving all over town looking for stuff to make it work. I like teh creativity part, but for something this inexpensive, I would put my time to something like drinking beer or watching the Food Channel. JMHO

Well, it's cheaper and easier to buy a loaf of bread than to get all the ingredients and make it yourself. Once you average in ingredient cost, transportation, electricity or gas usage, labor, clean-up, etc, buying an 0.89 loaf from the store saves you a lot of time and money that you can spend on drinking beer.

Same for tying flies. Easier and less time consuming to just buy one off the shelf.

Then again, what about quality and pride in one's work?

The Brinkman Smoker for $59 is way bigger than the 12" Weber Smokey Joe used in Bam's project. The Brinkman has inferior air control, inferior air flow, inferior heat retention, inferior fuel usage, inferior fuel to heat ratio, inferior construction, and inferior body coating.

The quality and performance of this 12" rig blows the doors off any 60 dollar smoker you can buy off the shelf. So, time and money well spent.

I'd imagine you prefer your bread to store bought, so your time and money are well spent making it the old fashioned way, yes?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i can throw a rock at all the stores that i went to get parts... this seriously took me less than an hour to put together..it takes the paint longer to dry than this takes to make plus i still can use it as a grill.

i considered buying one of those again but i have had bad luck with them b4 and you still have to do modifications to them so they run half way efficient.i burnt less than 3 lbs of lump my last cook running at 275-280*. it ran for 6 hours when i took my food off and the temp was still at 250+.

i know i have cooked on a ECB b4 and it took me a whole charcoal starter full of lit coals just to start the cooking..

i also drive a 98 malibu across the country....that cooker would take up half of my trunk.. this lil web fits nicer.

i have total $53 into my mods and that includes the smokey joe.

so yes i could have purchased one for cheaper but the quality of materials on a brinkman sucks. i used good replacement parts thus costing me more money to build..if i would have went to Academy Sports, i could have gotten cheaper parts that wont last.

plus i like to build stuff and really i am not happy with name brand smokers. i always mod them or build a more effecient one. and pictures do it no justice..up close it really does look like a mini WSM..lol

728649739555lg.jpg