Burger, anyone?

AllenOK

There was a discussion on DC a month or so ago, about how the images used in advertising fast food burgers never actually live up to what you actually get in those chain hells.

This is one of the burgers I turn out on a regular basis at work. I take pride in my food. I've worked in a burger joint for 6 years, so I understand burgers.

BTW, the fries are fresh-cut taters. We cut fries fresh daily (they die after a day in a water bath).

2009hamburgersg0.jpg

chowhound

I didn't need this, this early in the morning, lol.
Very nice Allen. You succeeded in making hungry :lol:

On a similar, but different note......
French fries. A couple weeks ago I made fries using something I had heard on one of those dives cooking shows. The owners said they soak their fries in white vinegar and water. I don't remember how long they said for, but I did mine for a few hours and they were the crispiest, "lightest" tasting home made fries I ever had. Plus there was a hint of something to the taste. Whiter looking, too.
Ever try this?

PanchoHambre

argh... skipped breakfast this morning late for work... now I want a burger

that one looks good Allen... lovely burger:)

AllenOK

On a similar, but different note......
French fries. A couple weeks ago I made fries using something I had heard on one of those dives cooking shows. The owners said they soak their fries in white vinegar and water. I don't remember how long they said for, but I did mine for a few hours and they were the crispiest, "lightest" tasting home made fries I ever had. Plus there was a hint of something to the taste. Whiter looking, too.
Ever try this?

No I haven't! I'll have to do a little side-by-side test today at work. Heck, chowhound, you may have just schooled an old pro!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have a friend who swears by the vinegar soak for his fries, but I haven't tried them yet. Same result as what Fred described.

Lefty

Yank
I have a friend who swears by the vinegar soak for his fries, but I haven't tried them yet. Same result as what Fred described.
Up here they have vineger on the counter to put on your fries along with the rest of the condiments. But I have never heard of a vinager soak.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Nice burger! I'll take two but can you deliver to Chicago?? LOL

Oh, wait, DW and the kids might want one too.. better order more!

AllenOK

I didn't do a side-by-side test, but I did soak a batch of fries in vinegar water. It seemed to be a little crispy, but not over-and-above what I can already produce. I will have to see if I can do a side-by-side test here soon. Hopefully work will be slowing down a bit from the warp-speed business level we've been experiencing.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I didn't do a side-by-side test, but I did soak a batch of fries in vinegar water. It seemed to be a little crispy, but not over-and-above what I can already produce. I will have to see if I can do a side-by-side test here soon. Hopefully work will be slowing down a bit from the warp-speed business level we've been experiencing.

When you did the vinegar and water soak, did you double fry the fries, or single fry them?

What about your regular fries.....double fry or single?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Allen, in addition to admiring your burger and fries, I LOVE that you serve the burger with a "diaper"!

I'm a fan of juicy, messy burgers, but hate all that mess down my arm!

Nice going!

Lee

AllenOK

Keltin, I can't remember if I did a single or double on the vinegar-soaked fries. "Normal" fries get a double cooking.

Lee, the wrapper is to keep the burger warm. I'm a firm believer that if it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face :)

FooD, the "simple burger" really lets the TLC of the cook that made it shine through.

AllenOK

Well, some more burger/fry news:

I did a side-by-side test the other day of the fries I normally turned out, as well as some vinegar-soaked fries. My Chef, the Clubhouse manager, F & B manager, as well as the GM, not to mention several waitstaff, all tried both types of fries. The vinegar-soaked was a hit. I have started soaking my fries in vinegar water now.

The F & B manager told me tonight that of all the burgers, he has always thought that my burgers looked the best, because they were so tall and good-looking. I guess I gushed a bit, and told him that I always take pride in my burgers. Plus, I cheat a bit. I don't set the top bun level on top of the burger. I tilt the bun to one side slightly, and when I wrap it, I make sure that the "short" side is the one that gets wrapped, while the "tall" side is the one that's visible. Heck, if you look at the pic I posted several months ago, you'll notice I did this. I didn't even realize I was doing that until a few weeks ago.

abi_csi

This burger looks delish, it's really nice to see a pic of an appetizing burger knowing that's what you'll get fed.

mrpasta

burgers are really good i like mine medium well topped with [2]slices of cheese lettuce [3]tomatoes onions hot peppers mustard ketchup and pickles on the side with a basket of golden deep fried onion rings and a pint of molson canadian beer:tiphat:

AllenOK

Sadly, this is now a thing of the past.

The club changed their menu last Fall. "My" burgers are no longer available. We have two different kinds.

One is called "the Angus" burger. It is made from 100% ground Angus beef, and I'm not sure what the fat/lean ratio is. It gets a really thick, dense, chewy bun that I'm not overly fond of. It gets lettuce, tomato, and onions. It is NOT wrapped :(

The second is their "Signature" burger. Again, it's an Angus burger. It's served on a toasted pretzel bun. The burger is dressed with a mixture of sauteed bacon and red onions, the burger, an over-medium fried egg, a slice of Gruyere, and Arugula.

The Signature is actually a pretty good burger. Unfortunately, the one that I ate had a bun that was moldy in a tiny spot, which I found the hard way :( Ever since then, I just cannot eat one of those buns without tasting that musty/moldy taste, even after I've thoroughly searched it for any trace of mold.

Honestly, the bun I really want is a toasted Onion bun. Think Arby's Beef and Cheddar. Yup, that bun. I've found a brand at Wally World. I will even buy them on occasion and use them at home. Otherwise, just give me a plain, nutritionally worthless white bun.

This whole thing is but one of the many things that is driving me away from that club. The GM has decided to upgrade ALL aspects of service, in an effort to attract the younger, affluent crowd (like himself). To do this, he has to get rid of most of the things that made the club what it was. I am now no longer able to cook a burger that I would gladly eat myself (which I did many times). I am now forced to cook two burgers that personally, I don't want to eat. How can I put my heart and soul into a dish I don't want to eat?

abi_csi

This whole thing is but one of the many things that is driving me away from that club. The GM has decided to upgrade ALL aspects of service, in an effort to attract the younger, affluent crowd (like himself). To do this, he has to get rid of most of the things that made the club what it was. I am now no longer able to cook a burger that I would gladly eat myself (which I did many times). I am now forced to cook two burgers that personally, I don't want to eat. How can I put my heart and soul into a dish I don't want to eat?

These so-called 'upgrades' are rarely improvements - if it ain't broke why fix it.
I totally understand you not being able to put your heart and soul into something you're not feeling.
And to do away with that delicious burger previously posted is a real shame!

mrpasta

Sadly, this is now a thing of the past.

The club changed their menu last Fall. "My" burgers are no longer available. We have two different kinds.

One is called "the Angus" burger. It is made from 100% ground Angus beef, and I'm not sure what the fat/lean ratio is. It gets a really thick, dense, chewy bun that I'm not overly fond of. It gets lettuce, tomato, and onions. It is NOT wrapped :(

The second is their "Signature" burger. Again, it's an Angus burger. It's served on a toasted pretzel bun. The burger is dressed with a mixture of sauteed bacon and red onions, the burger, an over-medium fried egg, a slice of Gruyere, and Arugula.

The Signature is actually a pretty good burger. Unfortunately, the one that I ate had a bun that was moldy in a tiny spot, which I found the hard way :( Ever since then, I just cannot eat one of those buns without tasting that musty/moldy taste, even after I've thoroughly searched it for any trace of mold.

Honestly, the bun I really want is a toasted Onion bun. Think Arby's Beef and Cheddar. Yup, that bun. I've found a brand at Wally World. I will even buy them on occasion and use them at home. Otherwise, just give me a plain, nutritionally worthless white bun.

there are lots of places to get a burger if the club changed their menu maybe they want to shuffle things around but i usually go to a greasy spoon for my burgers and they are delicious:tiphat:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
there are lots of places to get a burger if the club changed their menu maybe they want to shuffle things around but i usually go to a greasy spoon for my burgers and they are delicious:tiphat:

Lot of good burgers at "greasy spoons" BUT there's no reason a place more upscale shouldn't be able to serve a good burger.

Lots of restaurants forget that good food should be #1 on the list instead of a trendy atmosphere or fancy food.

Jim

AllenOK

A lot of what is happening is to attract new members, from the younger crowd, say, 30-somethings. IMHO, most of these folks, filthy rich, have been watching to many trendy shows on various cooking cable channels. They expect such cooking everywhere. To attract, and keep, these yuppies (sorry if I offend anyone), we have to comply with what they want.

FWIW, one of the best burger joints in the city is just a couple miles away, and is quite literally a pull-in, walk-up-and-order-from-the-window "greasy spoon".

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I love a burger, any meal, any day........ I'll even order a Pattie with my diner breakfasts instead of the usual suspects.............The worst burger I've ever had was still good to me !

My favorite way to consume a burger................

CheeseburgerHoagie003-1.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All this burger talk and pictures ..... now I want one!

Looking good, Lucky!

Lee

Rob Babcock

Great topic! I love a good burger! A while ago I bought a Sous Vide Supreme water oven and have been sous vide'ing everything I can get my hands on. One of the tastiest things I've made is the simple hamburger. Well, after three tries I finally managed to hold off the snarfing long enough to get out the camera! :yum: Here's a couple pics of tonite's burger. It was prepared sous vide at 133 F for three hours. I then dried it with a paper towel and gave it a quick sear with my Iwatani torch. It then went under the oven broiler for about 45 seconds per side.

Here's a picture of it before cutting. I mixed some stone ground mustard, mayo, and horseradish with minced scallions and shallots. I topped with aged white cheddar and melted the cheese a bit with my Iwatani.

Here it is cut in half so you can see the center. As rare as it looks in the picture, it hardly bled at all. Again, sv seems to combine cooking and resting. Plus the heat is low enough that the proteins don't keratinize to the point where all the juice is squeezed out.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Dammit Rob, it's 3:30am and I am hungry.
Thanks a lot!:hammer:

Holy crap, that looks sooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!:thankyou:;)

Rob Babcock

Sorry 'bout that!:whistling::D It's amazing how good burgers are cooked sous vide! At low temps very little moisture is lost, resulting in incredible juiciness. Cooking for several hours pasteurizes the beef eliminating the normal risks of illness you'd have consuming it medium rare. And if the phone rings or you get tied up the beef can remain in the bath for an extra hour or maybe even an hour with no loss of quality. You eat it whenever you're ready. Lastly, there's no luck involved with getting the temp absolutely perfect; you just choose the temp you prefer and the SVS does all the work. No guesswork, just perfect doneness.:WitchBrewsSmiley: