What's you favorite charcoal?

RNE228

What's your favorite charcoal?

I have done grilling on the Weber, cooking in Dutch Ovens, and a couple pigs ona big rotisserie.

In all the above, when using charcoal, I found that Kingsford gives the longest lasting, most even heat. The regular Kingsford works best.

In Scout's, some of our leaders use the Kingsford Matchlite briquettes. They light nicely, and fast. But, they do not last as long as the regular.

I have tried other brands of briquettes, but they just don't seem to work as well.

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, I have to agree on Kingsford. I always buy Kingsford if it is available. Every time I've had to settle for something else I've been disappointed.

waybomb

AAACCCKK!!! Kingsford? Y'all really let me down!!!! It's compressed sawdust and petroleum products. YUK!

Go find some REAL hardwood charcoal. It usually comes in a 20 pound sack that is about twice as big as a Kingsford 20lb bag and about twice the cost. Up here in Wisconsin, there's Cedar Grove Charcoal. Real pieces of hardwood charred and moisture free. Burns VERY hot. You'll cook your steak in 4 minutes or less, and it will be the best steak you've ever had. And you'll get a flavor that is petroleum free. Try it, you'll never go back.

I discovered this when we had a pig roast at the yacht club years ago, and the guy was using the real wood charcoal. We've used him every year since, and most of the members now use real charcoal.

Last edited:

RNE228

AAACCCKK!!! Kingsford? Y'all really let me down!!!! It's compressed sawdust and petroleum products. YUK!

Go find some REAL hardwood charcoal. It usually comes in a 20 pound sack that is about twice as big as a Kingsford 20lb bag and about twice the cost. Up here in Wisconsin, there's Cedar Grove Charcoal. Real pieces of hardwood charred and moisture free. Burns VERY hot. You'll cook your steak in 4 minutes or less, and it will be the best steak you've ever had. And you'll get a flavor that is petroleum free. Try it, you'll never go back.

I discovered this when we had a pig roast at the yacht club years ago, and the guy was using the real wood charcoal. We've used him every year since, and most of the members now use real charcoal.

I have used a similar product, when I can find it locally, on the Weber. It seemed to work well, with better flavor. When I did the pigs, we used Kingsford. The other stuff was expensive; we went through about 100lbs on a pig with Kingsford as it was.

How would the heat and longevity be for the hardwood charcoal for my Dutch Ovens? I'm cooking in cast iron; Kingsford has worked great, is regular in shape and consistency for good bake/roasting results. Would it be a better alternative?

waybomb

I've never worked with a dutch oven. The heat seems to be very even, but then again, cooking steaks and baking are two different things. Maybe too hot for baking?

Locutus

I use Kingsford. But I don't light it with so-called "charcoal lghter." I have a "chimney" style lighter that uses a single sheet of newspaper and depends on convection to produce the heat to get nice even lighting. :chef:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Locutus, where bouts do you find the chimney charcoal lighter. They do sound handy. I've been out of lighter and needed a better alternative.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've seen them in Lowe's in the BBQ Grille parts section. I'm sure Home Depot probably also carries them and perhaps even Wal Mart might.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:hide: I guess it shows I never even thought of looking for them before. :hide:
Thanks Joe!!!!!

Locutus

Got mine at Cabela's, but I've seem them at Lowe's as well.

With the cost of charcoal lighter fluid, they pay for themselves on the first 8-10 BBQs, and you don't have that "kerosene" smell and taste. :sick::sick:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love going to Cabella's. Maybe I'll use that as my excuse. :hide: :D
Walley world is never fun like Cabella's ... but Cabella's is a couple hours away. Darnit.

Locutus

Anybody make your own? :thumb:

In the field, I have access to quaking aspen. Unfortunately, no hardwoods in the northern rockies. :sad:

It burns fast, and not quire as hot as oak charcoal, and ya gotta make a ton of it, but it works very well for a field expedient.

Oh, BTW, it's a real pain in the neck to make. (Actually, I have a somewhat lower opinion of charcoal making, but since this is a polite forum.......... :D )

RNE228

Locutus, where bouts do you find the chimney charcoal lighter. They do sound handy. I've been out of lighter and needed a better alternative.

You can find them at ACE, OSH, etc. They are inexpensive, and work very well.

I have also used an old coffee can. Just "open" up the other end, and then use a bottle/can opener to make more vent holes near the bottom. Works great. Cheap. Easy. :tiphat:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Yep, any home improvement store or hardware store carries them. I switched to using a chimney about 2 years ago and love it.

I use Kroger brand Hardwood Lump Charcoal.... it is cheap, lights quickly, burns hot, and goes out quickly. I leave the unused chunks in the bottom of the pit. When starting a new fire, I only fill the chimney half full and light it. Add to the pit and within 5 minutes, all the leftover coals are lit.

Wart

Banned

You forgot organic peat, mineral peat, and ROCKET FUEL!

I use lump.

I've been using Cowboys but am a little nervous about it.

Whatever Wally World carries, but they start moving the fall stuff in around the end of July, if I forget to stock up I have to fall back on Cowboys.

The plane brown bag marked Hardwood Charcoal.

Problem is, Poplar wood is considered a hardwood. Maybe but not in a grill. But then I never use lump by itself, the lump is support for Mesquite, Hickory, Apple, Sassafras, Oak, whatever I'm using for what I'k cooking.

I live in wooded lots, I use dead fall twigs as a starter, and dead fall branches for much of the above listed 'flavor woods'.

But briquettes, Ok , I'll admit I have a bag somewhere, as a backup in case I run out of everything. It's probably a decade old and disintegrated from humidity.

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
I just use Cowboy lump since it's readily available at my Lowes store. I'll also use mesquite and hickory lump (not charcoal) for flavoring.

Besides that, just some logs from my firewood pile. Cold be apple, cherry or oak mostly.

I don't like the flavor or clean-up associated with briquettes.

PanchoHambre

hmm I usually buy Kingsford after reading this thread I am definitely try some other ideas.... man I cannot wait ti'l grillin season

FooD

A double 22-pound bags of Kingsford standard charcoal (44 pounds total) for $13.25 at Home Depot. That's my favorite brand and size because it's cheap.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Seems all you can get this time of year is Matchlight...so right now, that's my favorite.

AllenOK

For grilling, I use a mix of briquette and lump. I like the easy and temperature of lump, but I like the longevity of briquettes.

For cooking with Dutch ovens, I'd go with briquettes, as it seems a lot of recipes are designed around those. If I remember right, when I was in Scouts, we just used hardwood coals from the firepit. A real CI DO master probably can and does use both.

Mith

Anybody make your own?

Yes, I burned some a while back. Chestnut IIRC, came out OK, but it didnt burn fully. Still got a decent amount out though.
Didn't seem worth the time and effort in the end though, bought charcoal is far more convenient. As you say, its a bit of a pain.

Usually just cook over straight logs, not charcoal.

Ol-blue

I like to use the lump also for the BBQ. When using my Dutch Oven I prefer Wal-Mart brand over Kingsford now. Wal-Mart's I can get a good 60 minutes out of them, where Kingsford I cant anymore. :confused:

Love2"Q"

i am very lucky .. my local wal-mart has royal oak all year around ..
$5.55 for 10 lbs .. that about all i use ...
but i do splurge and get big green egg lump form time to time ..
but from what i have read .. its just royal oak ..
kingsford works in a pinch ..

Love2"Q"

chow .. funny thing ... i can drive 10 mins east or west and hit a wally ..
the one to the east has a nice outdoor/grilling section that
is open year round ..
the one to the west .. matchlight ...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How would the heat and longevity be for the hardwood charcoal for my Dutch Ovens? I'm cooking in cast iron; Kingsford has worked great, is regular in shape and consistency for good bake/roasting results. Would it be a better alternative?

Lump coal is great for grilling but not so great for DOs. It burns up too fast leaving you with a super hot up-front temp, fast cool down, and no longevity. Good Kingsford gives you 1 to 1.3 hours of steady heat. 24 coals = 1 or more hours of 375+ heat. Lump can't do that. But lump is good for grilling steaks. Some use it for smoking as well since it is basically partially burned wood that got extinguished early.

leolady

I live in wooded lots, I use dead fall twigs as a starter, and dead fall branches for much of the above listed 'flavor woods'.

But briquettes, Ok , I'll admit I have a bag somewhere, as a backup in case I run out of everything. It's probably a decade old and disintegrated from humidity.

Around here I have always used wind blown apple tree branches for my grill/smoker.

They are so plentiful all I have to do is go outside for a bit and walk around.

Ok, so I'm cheap but the wood gives a great flavor.:lol: