Wine sauce?

waybomb

My grandma used to make a wine sauce. I have no idea what wine, but the sauce or gravy when ready, was brown in color. It was really good. Defnately had a wine flavor to it. Great on mashed taters.

Unfortunately, she passed along before I had a chance to get the recipe.

Any idea on how to make it?

Calicolady

maybe some port or burgundy she kept in the house with some
Kitchen Bouquet gravy seasoning and flour added to the drippings?
No clue, but I know in the day, these things were common to have in the house.
Anybody else?????????????

waybomb

I do know it took her quite a long time to make it. But as a kid, all I was interested in was eating.

Umm, well, I guess I still am.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
From your discription it could be hundreds of different sauces/gravies. Here are two I've used from time to time perhaps one of these is close.

BASIC BROWN STOCK SAUCE
3 c. chicken or meat stock
1 c. soy sauce
1 c. wine, dry sherry
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 star anise
4 whole cloves
1 finger ginger, smashed
Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Cool, then refrigerate. Use as needed. This makes about 2 pints of sauce.

MUSHROOM WINE SAUCE
8 ounces sliced mushrooms, button or baby bellas (crimini)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cold water
salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Sauté mushrooms in butter and oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; add red wine and simmer for a few minutes. Add beef broth and simmer to reduce a bit, about 5 minutes. Combine flour and cold water and whisk until smooth. Stir into the mushrooms until well blended. Season to taste and simmer for about 1 minute, until thickened. If too thick, add a little more broth. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.

waybomb

OOOO, mama's makin the mushroom wine sauce this weekend...............
I suk at cooking indoors - grillin is my specialty.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like to saute mushrooms in a wine, butter, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, shallot reduction with a thyme and tarragon myself. Love it on a good steak as a topping or even a hamburger but they are good just by themselves.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man I have hundreds of them that I've saved through the years. I simply save my recipes to text files saved by the type of dish, for example sauces.

High Cheese

Saucier
I type most of mine to a forum. lol

My secret weapon for beef sauces is a small jar of demi I bought from Williams Sonoma. The DW drinks any left right from the gravy boat....no lie.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I went out the other day and bought a bottle of the Williams Sonoma demi glacé myself due to you Jeekinz. :ohmy: I looked up a recipe for making it myself when I saw the price of $29 for a 10.5 oz bottle of it.

At any rate after reading what went in to making it, it became a real bargain. I just had to try your steak sauce which I loved by the way. I use the left over sauce for a base for my gravy the next night with some pork tenderloin. That sauce is a winner for sure. :respect:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I gathered that so it should last awhile. I've used demi before but it has been years ago. It will go into a couple more dishes for sure.

AllenOK

I always make my own demi. But then, since I've alredy gone through the trouble of making my own beef stock, turning it into a demi isn't that hard.

Heck, I have a small "stash" of demi at work. I made it months ago, packed it into ziplock bags, and froze it. I'll use some when I need a really important sauce. I just got into my "stash" a few days ago, when my boss wanted a bordelaise sauce. It was great, until he adulterated it with some sun-dried tomatoes.