Your Favorite Frankfurter/Hot Dog Recipes?

I'm putting this in "Meats", even though I'll be using "turkey franks". Same difference, recipe-wise.

Last month, hubby (who loves turkey franks) fell prey to a local market's sale - "buy one, get THREE free" packages of turkey franks. We used up one package (it's just the two of us), & I now have 3 packages in the freezer, which I gaze woefully on every time the freezer is opened.

While I do love regular "hot dogs", "chili dogs", & "franks & beans", are there any other "frank" recipes out there that you guys enjoy?

Many thanks. :)

chilefarmer

I like the all beef franks. Course you never know what part of the beef they are talking about.
Anyway, I grill them and the buns. We eat them with mustard, raw onion, shredded cheese and wolf brand Chile (no beans) Beans are a side dish, not in Chile. Most of the time I make mine open face and eat with a fork. CF

Ian M.

One thing we love to do with all-beef franks is to slice them into a pan of any kind of tomato-based casserole we make...jambalaya, Spanish rice or something of that sort. Also, we love to split them and stuff them with cheddar and then bury them in good barbecue sauce or something spicey such as that and serve it over rice. But one thing about hot dogs...you can really get creative with those things....make potato cakes with any kind of mashed spuds and then slice franks into them and put the results on the griddle to brown. Or how about using them in place of kielbasa in recipes that call for that? I suppose one could even make bubble and squeak with hot dogs if they wanted to. And of coarse, there's always the family cat or dog who sit patiently waiting for someone to accidently drop something............

Ian :whistling:

Thanks for the ideas. I've already added some to a soup that I'd normally add kielbasa to, & the dogs are already commiserating with me re: what to do with the rest - lol!!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
What a great subject to come up at this moment.

After the success with the bacon. I am moving on to Kielbasa and home made franks. I ordered the casings and stuffer snout for my Kitchen Aid.

I hope to be smoking Kielbasa and dogs next weekend. Please keep the ideas coming.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My Mama used to put them in split pea soup when I was a kid.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Poke around in here ...............
lots of interesting ideas

Attachments

• Hot Dog !.pdf
    332.3 KB · Views: 561

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
gosh I'd forgotten about the split pea soup & hotdogs - that's going back on the menu!

along the lines of "other things" -

pizza - in place of pepperoni. they need to be sliced rather thin - I put them in the freezer - unwrapped & separated on a tray - for 45-60 minutes to stiffen them up for slicing.

a small dice, sauted crisp - faux bacon bits

for the carnivore in you . . .
there's a southern German dish called Wurst Salat - sausage salad. typically served in a bowl with longways sliced pickles as a garnish, lightly dressed with a vinaigrette and perhaps some long slices of a hard cheese - accompanied by a couple crisp rolls and a beer.

now, one needs more than just "hot dogs" - it's an assortment of hard ie sliceable sausages of any type you'd like - salami, bologna, blood sausage, white sausage, kielbasa, etc. some a sliced lengthwise, some cross wise, some chunked, you name it. it's often a bit of a "chef's surprise" as other than "a bowl of sausage pieces" it is not "rigorously defined"

one does need a good source for sausages tho - the typical supermarket stuff is rather bland for this dish.

As I'm of 100% Czech origin, I'm certainly no stranger to "good" sausage. Luckily, I've managed to find one of the only companies still supplying such wonderful stuff as "Jeternice" (aka "White Jets" or Czech Liver Sausage), "Jelita" (aka "Black Jets" or Czech Blood Sausage) - neither of which is a dry/hard/cured sausage, but both of which are delicious nonetheless. With either plain boiled potatoes or Czech Bread Dumplings & sauerkraut? Pure heaven. This company also has a lot of other specialty sausages, along with head cheese, etc., etc. Here are a couple of links to the Crawford Sausage Company:

http://www.crawfordsausage.com/

http://crawfordsausage.com/catalogs/index.asp?category=334711&count=1

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I love hot dogs cut into small slices in lentil soup also, either store bought or home made.