Whole30 Program

Johnny West

We started this "diet" two weeks ago and has worked out pretty good. I'm missing my wine, beer, and whisky, though. It's like giving up all for Lent. lol

For the last 4 years I've been suffering from bronchial congestion, periods of coughing, sneezing, bringing up gobs that disgusted all, and SOB; I have been worked up by two pulmonary doctors, two allergist, and the cardiology department and no has been able to help me. After two days with this program the coughing and phlegm has all but stopped and feel great - no more sneezing and gagging. I've also lost 9 pounds in two weeks and am back to what I weighed before I has all the trouble with the hernia and knee replacement last year.

I've not missed the sugar or bread at all; for deserts we have fresh fruit. We made ghee but found an on -line source that makes small batches and available in quart jars. We also found on line cured bacon that has no sugar which is good. We made our own with herbs, slices, and sea salt which wasn't bad.

I'll do this for 30 days then see where I go from there. I'd like to lose 30 pounds and just may by summer's end. The one thing it hasn't helped is my bad hips but weight loss will help, I'm sure.

https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

Johnny West

I was reticent, at first, but the food has been good and don't miss milk or sugar. I think I'm allergic to milk. It's hard to give up sugar, that's for sure.

Johnny West

Tonight it's Asian stir fried cauliflower "rice".

Asian Cauliflower Fried "Rice"

Ingredients

1 small head cauliflower, separated in florets or 16 ounces riced cauliflower
3 bacon slices, cut into small dice (make sure it's sugar-free & junk-free if you're doing a Whole30)
2 large eggs
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 small onion, minced
4 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
1-inch ginger knob, peeled and grated with a microplane
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons chopped basil
1 tablespoon chopped mint
2 tablespoons coconut aminos
Splash of coconut vinegar or rice vinegar (optional)
Splash of Red Boat Fish Sauce (not optional)

Instructions

Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor until the pieces resemble rice or couscous. (You skip this part above if you bought a bag of riced cauliflower.)

Toss the diced bacon into a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and fry until the bits are crispy.

While the bacon's cooking, whisk the two eggs in a small bowl with some salt and pepper.

When the bacon's done, remove to a separate plate with a slotted spoon.

Pour the whisked eggs into the hot bacon grease and fry a thin egg omelet, about 2 minutes on one side and then 30 seconds on the other side. Transfer the egg omelet to a cutting board and slice it thinly. Set it aside.

Turn up the heat for the cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add the chopped onions (along with a dash of salt and pepper). Once the onion soften, toss in the sliced mushrooms (along with yet another sprinkle of salt and pepper) and stir-fry everything until the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the 'shrooms have browned a bit.

While the 'shrooms are cooking, take ginger, peel off the skin with a vegetable peeler, and microplane it.

When the mushrooms are cooked, add the ginger and stir it around for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Toss in the cauliflower and even more salt and pepper.
Place a lid on the skillet and lower the heat to low and cook it covered for about 5 minutes. When the cauliflower's tender (but not too mushy), add the coconut aminos, the herbs, and the sliced egg omelet. You can also add a little coconut vinegar to add a tiny bit of tang to the dish. And splash on some fish sauce for good measure! Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Before serving toss on the reserved crispy bacon bits.

Johnny West

I couldn't find fish sauce at WinCo so did the drive to Lakewood and Boo Han Market; they didn't have Redf Boat but got one of the better brands. I enjoy shopping Asian markets. It was a long drive just for a splash of fish sauce so will have to find other recipes that include fish sauce. I want to do at least one Asian dish a week.

Johnny West

The fish sauce and rice vinegar was a good add on to to the dish. I used it at the the table rather than adding it to the whole dish in case she didn't like it. The fresh mint was from my herb garden.

Attachments

• #Cauliflower Rice.jpg
    #Cauliflower Rice.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 50

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This came out good but wouldn't say it's as good as sex on a plate.

The Cajun rub was:

1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme I ground up the organ and thyme with a pestle for a bit.

:ohmy:

Johnny West

Tonight it was tuna salad with kalamata olives and anchovies on the side.

Tomorrow, or today for you folks on the east coast, is day 30. This morning I weighed myself and lost 14 pounds of the 30 days. We plan to stick with the different paleo, Whole30 but will do wine and occasional beer starting Saturday. :fridge:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
diets are interesting beasts (g)

I know several people who jumped on the gluten free wagon - thence immediately proclaiming how much better they feel . . . my thoughts? perhaps eliminating all those nasty gluten junk foods from your diet had an effect?
perhaps mostly the junk part...?

the dear doctor did not like my LDL so I'm on a "low fat" diet - after being consultated by a dietitian / etc / etc. got all warned about sugar - now....not a sweets freak. I use 'half a sugar' in my first cup of coffee - weighed it, 3 grams....
but (sigh) having substituted cereals (with sugar toppings...) for eggs / pancakes / waffles my 'added sugar' has increased.

the diet lecture was kind of odd really - I'm a scratch cook, we don't do fast food, we don't do junk food, we don't do "prepared" stuff - so on dronetth the lecture and I sit there thinking . . . am there, doing that . . . otoh, my LDL went from 143 to 63. so I reckon the butter / cheese / liverwurst / etc. has an effect?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations, John, on the weight loss! I bet you feel great with that gone - I sure would!

And congrats, Chowder, on lowering your "bad" cholesterol!

Lee

Johnny West

I do feel better and will have some blood work done in the near future to see if there are any improvements. My abatement of allergy symptoms is the big improvement and so happy.

I agree with all you say, Chowder.

Johnny West

This is very good and will do some legs next time. The thighs were on sale and are excellent, as well.

North African Chicken

ONE-PAN NORTH AFRICAN-SPICED CHICKEN WITH ROASTED CARROTS

Ingredients

1 dried ancho chili, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1½ tsp kosher salt
2 chicken hindquarters (attached drumstick and thigh) (about 8 oz each)
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb carrots, cut into sticks
Zest and juice of 1 navel orange
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves

Directions

1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add ancho chili, caraway, coriander, cumin, and peppercorns. Cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes, shaking skillet often. Let cool.
2. Use a spice grinder or mortal and pestle to finely grind chili and seeds. Combine the spice mixture with salt, and rub it evenly over chicken.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, swirling to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add chicken and cook until browned, turning once, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from skillet, and set aside on a plate. Add carrots and 1-2 tbsp orange juice to skillet, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan. Place chicken back in skillet, and transfer to oven; roast about 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 180°F and carrots are just tender.
5. Drizzle remaining orange juice over chicken and carrots. Sprinkle with orange zest and cilantro just before serving. Remove skin if desired. (The skin is the best part.)

Attachments

• #African Chicken.jpg
    #African Chicken.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 8

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have all the stuff in my larder to make that North African Chicken, and I like it all except for the orange.

Did you use orange, John? I'd probably sub chicken broth.

Lee

Johnny West

She used two squeezed mandarin oranges and it wasn't as orange flavored as last time. I imagine chicken broth or water would be ok.